Spectrum Auction Results

tyrannical bastard

The list is out....Who is moving, and who is going away for good....

There are some shockers, but they will likely be around on someone else's channel...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/103237

So far, it looks like FOX is getting out of the duopoly business for the most part, and Nexstar AND Tribune is cashing in in some unlikely places....

As for KRON....Well, you'll just have to see for yourself!

Lots of TBN, religious and public broadcasters cashing in too...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to learn about Telemundo Chicago. I guess the strategy that KNSD is employing with parking Telemundo on a subchannel is what WMAQ will do with TEL Chicago...

Edit: Same goes for WWSI in Philadelphia. Telemundo Philly on 10.2?

There are some shockers, but they will likely be around on someone else's channel...

So far, it looks like FOX is getting out of the duopoly business for the most part, and Nexstar AND Tribune is cashing in in some unlikely places....

WOW!

Yup...some shockers.

WOW!

Yup...some shockers.

Bye KOFY

KOFY is actually channel-sharing. If a station that is listed as going off-air is listed with "Yes" in the "Post-Auction CSA" column, that means it is channel-sharing, and not leaving the air. Same goes for the ex-Media General stations, the NBC & Telemundo O&Os, the TBN stations and most other stations that were sold.

KOFY is actually channel-sharing. If a station that is listed as going off-air is listed with "Yes" in the "Post-Auction CSA" column, that means it is channel-sharing, and not leaving the air. Same goes for the ex-Media General stations, the NBC & Telemundo O&Os, the TBN stations and most other stations that were sold.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nevermind

Welcome Back KOFY!!!!

Well what does NBC do in Boston now? The non-sale of WWDP by Evine seems like a huge head scratcher. Perhaps that is the final destination.

Also, calling it right now: A deathmatch for the WDCW programming/CW affiliation between Tegna and Sinclair and Telemundo Connecticut on WVIT 30.2.

Interesting to learn about Telemundo Chicago. I guess the strategy that KNSD is employing with parking Telemundo on a subchannel is what WMAQ will do with TEL Chicago...

Edit: Same goes for WWSI in Philadelphia. Telemundo Philly on 10.2?

Actually WCAU has been simulcasting Telemundo 62 on 10.3 for awhile now so this doesn't come as too much of a surprise. Btw 10.2 is the COZI sub.

WIVB and WYCW caught my eye as a former Buffalo and Greenville resident.

For WIVB, I have to imagine they're moving CBS to 23.1/.2 and bumping Bounce TV to 23.3. CW programming in Greenville is likely headed to WSPA's channel space on 7.2.

For the FOX/MyTV duopolies (like in Charlotte), a lot of them are going to be crammed on subchannel space, aren't they? Both WMYT and WJZY have four subchannels, so they may just put FOX on 46.1, MyTV on 46.2 and shed a few of the smaller .X networks.

So, someone please educate my ignorant self. When they say "go off the air/go dark" do they mean totally, 100% cease broadcast operations and shut the station down? Because if so, wow. I can't imagine some of these stations going away forever, such as WIVB.

Can anyone explain to me the reason why WNBC is on the list?

That's what I was gonna say. WNBC is the biggest surprise to me on this list. New York stations aren't supposed to do this. You don't see LA's major ones on here.

I wonder what will happen to all those well-known stations like WKBN, WNBC and a few others.

Can anyone explain to me the reason why WNBC is on the list?

So, someone please educate my ignorant self. When they say "go off the air/go dark" do they mean totally, 100% cease broadcast operations and shut the station down? Because if so, wow. I can't imagine some of these stations going away forever, such as WIVB.

That's what I was gonna say. WNBC is the biggest surprise to me on this list. New York stations aren't supposed to do this. You don't see LA's major ones on here.

I wonder what will happen to all those well-known stations like WKBN, WNBC and a few others.

My guess is that they had the choice of putting the WNBC and WNJU (Telemundo) channel space up for auction and WNBC ended up being the most valuable. They'll likely have NBC and Telemundo share channel space.

Same deal with WIVB. Their programming will almost certainly move to the channel space occupied by WNLO. They'll likely map it so it still shows as channel 4 on TVs and converter boxes.

Likewise, WYTV and WYFX will probably end up absorbing WKBN's streams.

I guess the value of WKBN's superior signal outweighed it as a broadcast facility. WYTV's signal is grossly inferior.

I'm assuming that Nexstar will acquire them outright? Maybe even kill off the cursed WYTV calls and re-christen it as WKBN....

My guess is that they had the choice of putting the WNBC and WNJU (Telemundo) channel space up for auction and WNBC ended up being the most valuable. They'll likely have NBC and Telemundo share channel space.

Same deal with WIVB. Their programming will almost certainly move to the channel space occupied by WNLO. They'll likely map it so it still shows as channel 4 on TVs and converter boxes.

This. With PSIP and cable/sat/streaming providers, the viewer won't know the difference.

Yes, if they channel-share, WIVB and WNLO would continue to be separately licensed stations and would continue to map to 4 and 23, respectively. But they would both broadcast on WNLO's RF channel.

I'm a bit amazed FOX and CBS didn't completely cash in on their secondary sticks. That FOX still sees value in some but not all of their MyNet affils is even more interesting. Unless the wireless providers just didn't want them?

And in places like Lansing and Harrisburg, Nexstar and Tribune have sold their only signals. Channel sharing is the only option there...

You forgot that Nexstar has a duopoly in Lansing with WLAJ. But I'm really struggling to understand what is going to happen with WPMT. They will need to share a channel with either WGAL or WHTM (probably not WHP, since they're already sharing a channel with WLYH).

NBC flagship WNBC New York was one of the winning stations ($214 million), according to the FCC winning bidder sheet, but NBC told the FCC it planned to strike a sharing agreement to keep its programming on the air.

You forgot that Nexstar has a duopoly in Lansing with WLAJ. But I'm really struggling to understand what is going to happen with WPMT. They will need to share a channel with either WGAL or WHTM (probably not WHP, since they're already sharing a channel with WLYH).

Ah yes....WLAJ.

The question is....will groups like Nexstar acquire their shells in these markets or keep them in place to reduce their ownership cap?

Ah yes....WLAJ.

The question is....will groups like Nexstar acquire their shells in these markets or keep them in place to reduce their ownership cap?

I would think Nexstar would acquire the stations outright, since the stations affected (WYTV and WLAJ) wouldn't be much of a cap hit as it is.

Looking at the list, I am a little bit worried to see WFMZ on it. I hope WFMZ doesn't go the route of WBIN and go completely out of business, including their news operation.

Archived