Fox News harrasment controversy

atlnews2

Am I the only one who feels those saying "Now THIS is the beginning of the end for Fox News" are being over-reactive and and over-hopeful at this news? People said similar things when Ailes left, it didn't happen. People said similar things when Kelley left, nothing happened. Now here we are, people saying the same thing now that O'Reilly is gone, and now we must wait and see if something will actually happen.

I'm skeptical. Besides, it's only a matter of time before the CNN racial discrimination scandal comes to a head or something breaks loose at MSNBC.

Maybe this is good for the entire industry. Maybe this will lead to shakeups elsewhere that will humble all of the cable news networks. Lord knows it's certainly needed.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fox is also dealing with both a racial discrimination scandal and a possible federal investigation regarding these 'payoffs/settlements,' so they have a ton of work ahead of them. I'm not sure why they don't just deal with anything and everything once and for all instead of reacting only after this stuff comes to light. I don't think FOX will go far enough to do what needs to be done (both behind and in front of the camera) until Rupert dies.

I don't believe this (or any future incidents) will lead to any substantial cultural changes at FNC, CNN, etc... until they put forth the effort to create a welcoming and ideal work environment.

Gabriel Sherman also tweeted a link to this interview that levels similar harassment allegations against Hannity.

YMMV on this.

It's interesting that, after all the news about Ailes' and O'Reilly's harassment being of the sexual kind, she's not considering this "sexual harassment," just that he's a "weird and creepy" guy, and she still stands by the story that he was yelling at her and banned her from the show. Still harassment nonetheless. I dunno if this one will go anywhere or not though, unless more people come forward with legitimate claims against him.

here is a novel concept to eradicate sexual harassment on fox slap a lie detector on both the accuser and accuse if the accuser fails they should have to pay the fees for the test and what not and if the accused fails they are fired and get no severence.

FNC's legal nightmare continues

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/oreilly-is-gone-but-fox-newss-legal-nightmare-continues.html

More black employees are expected to join a lawsuit alleging racial harassment

Now longtime Fox News anchor Kelly Wright has joined in on that suit. Eleven employees are a part of this suit so far.

Now longtime Fox News anchor Kelly Wright has joined in on that suit. Eleven employees are a part of this suit so far.

Kelly Wright joining is pretty stunning. I know he's not a heavy hitter at FNC, but when an anchor joins a lawsuit you know that the harassment was corporate wide and not just against some lower level behind the scenes employees.

Kelly Wright joining is pretty stunning. I know he's not a heavy hitter at FNC, but when an anchor joins a lawsuit you know that the harassment was corporate wide and not just against some lower level behind the scenes employees.

I'm expecting Martha McCallum to join in on the lawsuit too. Side note: During my senior year of high school, our TV/radio teacher took us on an unofficial tour of the FNC building (she used to work there); we went into the studio just as Martha went off the air, and I told her that I knew that, before Fox she worked at WBIS/S+ for a time in 97-98 (I saw a clip of her on YT); she was surprised to hear that. (For the uninitiated, WBIS was a failed effort by Dow Jones and ITT to turn NYC's channel 31, previously a public access station, into a combo business news/sports station {and ironically, carried Fox SportsNet programming as the SportsChannel networks hadn't converted yet}; it was a total dud and both partners sold the station to Pax.)

If he did mean that in a crude way, then O'Reilly sure groomed his successor well! Otherwise, if it was innocent, then it was a really dumb thing to do with all that's been going on there and he probably should have thought about the implications of his on-air actions now that his entire network is under a bigger microscope than they've probably ever been previously, but I suppose major fans of his or O'Reilly probably won't care anyway.

Though if any of what's been going on at FNC lately with sexual harassment and racial discrimination suits has any kind of effect on Rupert Murdoch's takeover of Sky and starts affecting things money-wise for News Corp (much like how advertisers started pulling out from O'Reilly's show), then maybe they're gonna start making a lot more changes. It seems like Ailes' ways really permeated in much of the Fox News corporate structure.

Let's see if he's back by Monday. Even O'Reilly's "vacation" started at the end of that week, not mid-week through a new primetime premiere on a show he just joined!

I think Bill Shine has reason to worry about losing his position, too, if he is indeed tied with all of this bad stuff that's been going on there over the years, and like I mentioned before, especially if this messes up Murdoch's attempt at the Sky takeover in the UK. The last time he tried that, it failed because of the "News of the World" scandal, and this is starting to feel a bit like that all over again.

Oh look, he's now on a "vacation". Bill O'Reilly groomed him well

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/fox_host_jesse_watters_announc.html#incart_river_home

I think this is a move by Fox to soften the blow before the outrage grew louder.

Hannity's scared...

[MEDIA=twitter]857693772884430849[/MEDIA]

I think Hannity could get pushed out because his show resembles something you'd see on RT.

Hannity's scared...

[MEDIA=twitter]857693772884430849[/MEDIA]

I think Hannity could get pushed out because his show resembles something you'd see on RT.

Note that Lumpy spelled "Gabe" as "Gäbe." IMO, that was by no means a typo.

He rage-tweeted a bit more:

[MEDIA=twitter]857698604236107776[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]857701928054259712[/MEDIA]

Note that Lumpy spelled "Gabe" as "Gäbe." IMO, that was by no means a typo.

He rage-tweeted a bit more:

[MEDIA=twitter]857698604236107776[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]857701928054259712[/MEDIA]

Wow, I didn't even notice the way he spelled "Gabe." I know it's hard to gauge people's feelings by Twitter alone, but he does seem to be freaking out a bit about this.

And RT is probably one place where he'd go if he ever left FNC, he'd be a great fit honestly. I wonder if anyone else would leave if Bill Shine goes and management gets turned on its head. The Foxes & Friends could put on a good morning show for RT, or perhaps OANN. Anyone either too "extreme" in their politics or anyone who was too close to Ailes and has a sketchy history could have their jobs on the line after all of this. Steve Doocy, for example, was a close friend of Ailes and that was how he got in at Fox News back in the day doing weather, and he allegedly bullied Gretchen Carlson in-between commercial breaks on Fox & Friends and his bad behavior was basically a catalyst for Carlson going against Ailes. Plus, the complaint generally makes him look like a poor co-worker and not an easy guy to work with, and essentially part of the problem with the culture at the company.

Archived