Afternoon Traffic Reports?

CaptainNews

Do you want to see PM Traffic Reports?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see PM Traffic Reports?

WPVI still has Matt Pellman doing PM traffic.!I'm assuming WCAU still does PM traffic. Not sure about KYW after Bob Kelly left. Haven't watched WTXF in the evenings in a while, I remember when Kerri-Lee was still there, she would do a little traffic segment herself.

In Canada, the 5 Global stations that have helicopters (Toronto, BC, Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg) have live helicopter traffic reports on their late afternoon/early evening news. In fact, every weekday newscast has some kind of helicopter report (at 11 PM for example, it's a taped construction report). For Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton, they also have the live reports on their weekend morning AND 6 PM news.

WMC used to have traffic reports during the 4PM news, with their morning traffic anchor actually coming in on a split shift. It lasted longer than I would have expected, but needless to say finally was ditched in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

KDFW in Dallas is still pretty consistent at 5p and 5:30p about traffic reports, especially if there's a bad wreck or 'police activity' around. As for the others (KXAS, WFAA, KTVT), I'm not sure what they do now since I don't get to watch much afternoon/evening news.

Anyone care to take a guess as to who was the first TV station to offer regular TV traffic reports?

I can remember WWL in New Orleans doing morning traffic reports c. early 1990's (back then, the newscast ran from 6 to 8 am, and preempted the original "CBS This Morning"). I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that back then, the reporter was Ray Romero, who now does traffic reports for iHeartMedia's stations in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Biloxi.

If someone knows more, please feel free to clarify....

IIRC, WOIO does traffic in the 4pm and 5pm hours of its newscasts. It's either the traffic reporter doing it (rarely) or one of the anchors giving out the report (most likely).

For a while, meteorologist Jon Laufman handled their morning traffic reports. I don't think that's the case now.

In the early days of "19 Action News," Rick Abell - who IIRC was a contract employee for Metro Networks - did their morning and afternoon traffic. Prior to that, he did similar work with Metro for WTAM/1100 (branded "SkyChief Helicopter Traffic").

I've seen clips from KTLA in the 1960s reporting traffic. I'm not sure if it was a regular occurence. KTLA invented the telecopter in 1958 and they were the only station that had one at least til the late 1960's. They would regularly fly the telecopter looking for breaking news stories.

I've seen clips from KTLA in the 1960s reporting traffic. I'm not sure if it was a regular occurence. KTLA invented the telecopter in 1958 and they were the only station that had one at least til the late 1960's. They would regularly fly the telecopter looking for breaking news stories.

Try not to pee yourself.......

Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...
I really don't like how news stations in big markets like that don't have helicopters.

It costs $400,000 to $750,000 to buy a helicopter suitable for TV news coverage and another $50,000 to $100,000 to outfit it with high-definition broadcast equipment. It costs $400 to $500 an hour to fly it and another $125,000 or so a year for a pilot.

While I agree with you, however they're cutting cost becuase stations (incliding KWTV in my home market of Oklahoma City) are using drones (however KWTV still uses the helicopter for breaking news, storm coverage, etc.)

It costs $400,000 to $750,000 to buy a helicopter suitable for TV news coverage and another $50,000 to $100,000 to outfit it with high-definition broadcast equipment. It costs $400 to $500 an hour to fly it and another $125,000 or so a year for a pilot.

While I agree with you, however they're cutting cost becuase stations (incliding KWTV in my home market of Oklahoma City) are using drones (however KWTV still uses the helicopter for breaking news, storm coverage, etc.)

I know it cost that much but then again, they can still rent/lease off of other stations.

I know it cost that much but then again, they can still rent/lease off of other stations.

I agree, they could do that and they should do that instead of eliminating choppers, we need choppers for breaking news coverage, storm coverage, etc.

Archived