Goodbye Comcast SportsNet, hello NBC Sports Regional Networks

Viper550

CSN Mid-Atlantic rebranding to NBC Sports Washington makes sense. There really is no Baltimore programming on there (Baltimore programming is primarily on MASN). They should try to acquire Nationals games from MASN.

As a diehard Nats fan, I really hope this happens. Even if it means not sharing home territory with the O's anymore, MASN treats the Nats like shit, we'd be better off having the Nats, Caps, Wizards, and Redskins on one station, then there'd also be no need for MASN 2, which could serve as another overflow for CSN when needed.

As a diehard Nats fan, I really hope this happens. Even if it means not sharing home territory with the O's anymore, MASN treats the Nats like shit, we'd be better off having the Nats, Caps, Wizards, and Redskins on one station, then there'd also be no need for MASN 2, which could serve as another overflow for CSN when needed.

Don't Peter Angelos and the O's have the Nats by the balls in some ridiculous long term TV contract to be on MASN? I remember Bud Selig awarding them that deal as compensation of having to share the market with the Nats. If so it would take a ton of lawyers for them to get out of it.

Don't Peter Angelos and the O's have the Nats by the balls in some ridiculous long term TV contract to be on MASN? I remember Bud Selig awarding them that deal as compensation of having to share the market with the Nats. If so it would take a ton of lawyers for them to get out of it.

The original contract was for 30 years, I believe. Each year that passes, the Nats get a larger stake in MASN. However, for the last few years, both the Nats and Orioles have been in a legal battle over rights fees that went before a panel of MLB owners, then to arbitration and eventually to court--with no end in sight. MLB/Selig tried to persuade Angelos to sell the network but he refused. I believe that Selig even tried to broker a deal between FOX Sports and Angelos, but Angelos said no. In reality, there's no incentive for Angelos to sell as MASN is his cash cow. If he is forced to pay the Nats fair market value for the tv deal, then that would be catastrophic for MASN as they undercharge carriers for the channel and they don't have the money to cover it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a promo for CSN Chicago's rebranding, and it's as full of bullshitty misleading corporate speak as you'd expect. The notion that the network will have any greater connection to NBC Sports outside of the branding is garbage, unless that connection is because the budgets are being cut so much, but they'd never admit that to the viewer...

[MEDIA=vimeo]234565302[/MEDIA]

Here's a promo for CSN Chicago's rebranding, and it's as full of bullshitty misleading corporate speak as you'd expect. The notion that the network will have any greater connection to NBC Sports outside of the branding is garbage, unless that connection is because the budgets are being cut so much, but they'd never admit that to the viewer...

[MEDIA=vimeo]234565302[/MEDIA]

Must be a corporate promo cause I just heard a similarly worded promo for the change during the Flyers radio broadcast tonight. They're really pushing this as more than just a name change it seems. I guess you're going to see a lot more personalities from Stamford being booked as guests during studio shows and other continuity with the Peacock mothership.

Also I wonder if this means we might hear NBC music migrate down to the RSNs. While I love the current CSN package, I wouldn't mind hearing Roundball Rock for basketball games and Willam Goldstein's NHL on NBC theme locally.

Must be a corporate promo cause I just heard a similarly worded promo for the change during the Flyers radio broadcast tonight. They're really pushing this as more than just a name change it seems. I guess you're going to see a lot more personalities from Stamford being booked as guests during studio shows and other continuity with the Peacock mothership.

Which makes me wonder why they don't just run it from Stamford with regional opt-outs and just keep the ball game commentators local? Dunno if they should do it in every market (Philly for one) but it may make sense given the direction they're headed with talking heads.

• 3 weeks later...
jEiQZ9c.jpg

Is this a new set? I don't watch a lot of NBCS Chicago outside of games themselves.

It certainly doesn't look like a new set. It feels like it's straight out of the early 2000s.

No, they've had that for years, but it's not used all that often. CSN/NBCS Chicago really is due for a new set...

No, they've had that for years, but it's not used all that often. CSN/NBCS Chicago really is due for a new set...

The group as a whole is. The set-in-a-can they all have now is pushing 10 years old now. Here in Philly they don't even use the news desk anymore for SportsNet Central (in fact they took down the desk), opting to do the now 15 min show from their much newer (and nicer) Philly Sports Talk set.

It'll be interesting to see what NBCS Washington gets when they move in with WRC. I'd suspect it would get passed along to the rest of the group.

• 4 months later...

Looks like the RSNs are moving away from Jeff Collins as their voiceover guy. About a week ago NBC Sports Philadelphia's Philly Sports Talk debuted a revised open acknowledging the Eagles' Super Bowl win with a new younger voice and now watching the Sharks on NBC Sports California, they're using that same guy for their in game sponsor plugs.

It'll be interesting to see what NBCS Washington gets when they move in with WRC. I'd suspect it would get passed along to the rest of the group.

I know this is late but they’re moving into WRC at 4001 Nebraska Avenue? That space is so cramped that they put Telemundo in a prop room. I don’t see it happening unless there’s an extension being planned.

Speaking of NBC Sports Washington they completely dropped the Baltimore feed (on my TiVo I get it’s labeled as NBCSWABALHD and the plus channel is NBCSWAPLUSHD). Maybe there’s seperate ads but . It makes sense as they no longer carry any Baltimore sports or programming (such as the Ravens spots or Ravens preseason). But they do still cover Baltimore sports.

And I forgot the other reason I came into this thread.

Looks like the RSNs are moving away from Jeff Collins as their voiceover guy. About a week ago NBC Sports Philadelphia's Philly Sports Talk debuted a revised open acknowledging the Eagles' Super Bowl win with a new younger voice and now watching the Sharks on NBC Sports California, they're using that same guy for their in game sponsor plugs.

Lewis Banks.

Archived