Goodbye Comcast SportsNet, hello NBC Sports Regional Networks

Viper550

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2017/03/22/nbc-sports-regional-networks-to-rename-california-based-properties-to-feature-nbc-sports-brand/

http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc-csn-bay-area-rebrand-rsns.html

Beginning in California, CSN is going to be replaced by the NBC Sports name; still a tentative idea elsewhere, however. It's interesting that they waited to do this.

CSN has really took away the flagship away from it's Philly network. CSN Philly was the 1st CSN, so you would think we would get the name change first. This isn't the first time either. CSNBA had debuted the Sportsnet Central Brand at first before anyone at it's inception in late 2008, and all the other RSNs followed suit, except for CSN Philly, which waited almost 2 years to change the brand. CSN Philly's overall quality has decreased in recent years, but it looks like in these other areas, they're spending money like it grows on trees with new sets and all.

And they couldn't have renamed them NBC Sports Bay Area/California when the Spring Training telecasts started? They just got updated opens, and I guess they'll have to redo them again.

I kinda figured things were heading this way when they rebranded to CSN from Comcast SportsNet. They really should have did this when the merger happened but they were so concerned about the launch of NBCSN that they didn't want the RSNs conflict branding wise.

One thing I hope this change brings is that they finally update the damned tickers to the current look (they're still running the ticker from the 2012 look).

CSN has really took away the flagship away from it's Philly network. CSN Philly was the 1st CSN, so you would think we would get the name change first. This isn't the first time either. CSNBA had debuted the Sportsnet Central Brand at first before anyone at it's inception in late 2008, and all the other RSNs followed suit, except for CSN Philly, which waited almost 2 years to change the brand.

Well in that case Bay Area was launching from scratch so it didn't really make sense to launch with a brand that was getting scrapped just a few months later. As for CSN Philly not adopting the SportsNet Central brand til just 3 years ago, the SportsNite/Rise brand had been running on the network since it launched in 1997 so perhaps management thought the brand was entrenched enough not to get rid of it.

CSN Philly's overall quality has decreased in recent years, but it looks like in these other areas, they're spending money like it grows on trees with new sets and all.

If you're talking from a production/presentation standpoint, I would agree. Case in point, whatever they're using for CG is prehistoric and does not play nicely with the current graphics and you get horrible looking text like this: Ii7ntHN.jpg

And that leads me to another thing, I'm pretty sure the style guide for this package calls for standard casing for the text in l3s and other infographics but CSN Philly does not follow that for some reason.

If you're talking from a production/presentation standpoint, I would agree. Case in point, whatever they're using for CG is prehistoric and does not play nicely with the current graphics and you get horrible looking text like this.

Chyron Mosaics. Brand new. They were literally installed only weeks ago.

So they'll just update the gfx package with the new logo(s) only? They're not expecting to tweak the whole overall look, am I right?

I believe you're right. If they were changing the entire look I would have to imagine it would affect NBCSN as well.

I like this. I think it'll be easier to remember NBC Sports New England rather than CSN New England. It was a bit confusing when the NBC peacock was added to the logos but the name stayed the same.

I believe you're right. If they were changing the entire look I would have to imagine it would affect NBCSN as well.

I like this. I think it'll be easier to remember NBC Sports New England rather than CSN New England. It was a bit confusing when the NBC peacock was added to the logos but the name stayed the same.

They're taking a page out of FOX's playbook when they decided to unify the FOX Sports brand to include the regionals. Before, the regionals and the network operated almost on two different levels with the branding, etc.-- FOX Sports and FOX Sports Net (FSN). Once they went to FOX Sports (city name), the brands became more aligned as well as the graphics. I do still miss the FSN moniker and those Jolly Rancher graphics they from 2006-08(?)...

It's all the same package. There are some RSN-only templates, some game broadcast-only templates, some NBCSN-only templates, etc, but that's mostly stylistic choices. All one big package coming from Stamford.

My question is will SNY be rebranded? Considering TWC/Charter/Spectrum and the Mets both have stakes in the service, who knows what's gonna happen over there.

Doubtful. The Mets own a controlling stake in the network, I believe.

My question is will SNY be rebranded? Considering TWC/Charter/Spectrum and the Mets both have stakes in the service, who knows what's gonna happen over there.

I say no, especially since they just moved into 4 World Trade Center, and Comcast has a minority stake. SNY has never really adopted CSN's syle with the exception of Their 2 tickers before this one, the SportsNite title they still use while CSN has moved on, and the UCONN Basketball Graphics, using NBC Sports'/CSN package.

And that leads me to another thing, I'm pretty sure the style guide for this package calls for standard casing for the text in l3s and other infographics but CSN Philly does not follow that for some reason.

You're correct that Philly (unfortunately) uses all caps, but the style guide does not have a specification in that regard.

What’s gonna become of TCN? I would like to see something called “WCAU Plus”, a general entertainment station with movies and old TV shows from the Universal library not seen anywhere right now, plus local shows

What’s gonna become of TCN? I would like to see something called “WCAU Plus”, a general entertainment station with movies and old TV shows from the Universal library not seen anywhere right now, plus local shows

That's kinda what I was thinking- I'm really hoping they rerun Exosquad (Universal really needs to jumpstart a movie reboot of that- live-action/CG movies, plus spinoffs galore and merchandising=BIG BUCKS, especially since it's an inhouse property and they don't have to license it from anybody; it'll help them capitalize on the recent robot trends of the past few years-Transformers, Pacific Rim, Real Steel, DreamWorks' Voltron (which is kickass), etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

CSN Chicago becomes NBC Sports Chicago on October 2nd. Not only that, these will eventually rebrand as well by this year:

CSN Northwest -> NBC Sports Northwest

CSN Philly -> NBC Sports Philly

TCN Philly -> NBC Sports Philly+

CSN Mid-Atlantic -> NBC Sports Washington (so now we're ignoring Baltimore, huh?)

TCN Mid-Atlantic -> NBC Sports Washington+

CSN New England -> NBC Sports Boston (really?)

http://www.csnchicago.com/other-sports/nbc-sports-regional-networks-align-csn-properties-under-nbc-sports-brand

CSN Chicago becomes NBC Sports Chicago on October 2nd. Not only that, these will eventually rebrand as well by this year:

CSN Mid-Atlantic -> NBC Sports Washington (so now we're ignoring Baltimore, huh?)

http://www.csnchicago.com/other-sports/nbc-sports-regional-networks-align-csn-properties-under-nbc-sports-brand

That comes a day after CSN Philly's 20 anniversary. Maybe they'll plan something special for that night.

CSN Northwest should have become NBC Sports Portland as 95% of its programming is Portland/Oregon teams. ROOT Sports Northwest focuses on Seattle and Washington (state) teams (which should have rebranded as AT&T Sportsnet Seattle).

CSN Mid-Atlantic rebranding to NBC Sports Washington makes sense. There really is no Baltimore programming on there (Baltimore programming is primarily on MASN). They should try to acquire Nationals games from MASN.

Also, NBC Sports California should have been branded NBC Sports NoCal.

• October 2 is the changeover for all entities, at one time.
  • The Philadelphia properties will not be abbreviated to Philly.
  • The Mid-Atlantic change also reflects their physical move into the property with the other NBC Washington units (WRC, NBC News).

• October 2 is the changeover for all entities, at one time.
  • The Philadelphia properties will not be abbreviated to Philly.
  • The Mid-Atlantic change also reflects their physical move into the property with the other NBC Washington units (WRC, NBC News).

I know but I wrote Philly for forum purposes.

Archived