MSNBC Rebranding?

rkolsen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether or not CNN is still center or is now left is up for debate, but one thing is for sure: CNN went from having pundits on 12 hours a day to 25 hours a day...

And tonight where they could have easily owned the I-85 collapse in their own hometown...not a word from any of the news channels. In prime time. Because Zucker couldn't bear to move out of a place where even the late night guy on 1010 WINS gets gossip ink once in awhile and decimated CNN Center to prove his point...

At this point, it seems like either tragedy, extreme weather with multiple tragedies, or a Gone Girl backstory can get a story to be even a part of 'in other news'. Once the news nets heard the words 'no injuries were reported', that was sadly it, and it was off to the iPad to stream WSB.

• 2 weeks later...
NBCi? NBC International

NBCNP: NBC News Plus

NBCNews

Are my favorites. And now with the EuroNews purchase it could most likely be just NBC News or NBC News International.

NBCi was actually used as the name for one of their first internet ventures in the late 1990s (along with XOOM).

You can't take a non-news documentary (that's pretty much what all their "original series" are) and use it as proof of them not doing "hard news" considering the hours they air those documentaries.

To be fair, some of CNN's originals have actually been very good (and I mean the ones that aren't reality series, except for Anthony Bourdain). I wouldn't consider The Sixties/etc. to be "non-news" (in fact it's probably their best documentary).

t's HLN that really needs to be fixed up. It needs more sharks, in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

It bothers me that there's space between the graphic and the edge of the screen on the right but not on the left. That little sliver of video is weird.

Wish we'd start shrinking the size of lower thirds to something more like Sky News uses, but for now, this works.

I guess it's an improvement, but it still looks like something that was put together in an afternoon. It doesn't have that robust, fully-thought out, made-to-last feel like CNN's L3s, MSNBC's original 2009 look, France 24, Sky News, et al.

I guess it's an improvement, but it still looks like something that was put together in an afternoon. It doesn't have that robust, fully-thought out, made-to-last feel like CNN's L3s, MSNBC's original 2009 look, France 24, Sky News, et al.

It's an improvement but they need a new package. It seems to me that they are just tweaking it. The previous "update" just seemed to be the lower thirds and this just goes a little further. There seem to be many elements from the 2009 package that debuted when they went HD that seem to remain.

I wish they went with the primary election style lower thirds. I thought that was nice.

At some point, I see them having to change the MSNBC logo or branding to something based only on the NBC News marks.

If they're really interested in the synergies between the two, having differing identities isn't really going to promote the idea of oneness, even if one is the opinion network.

I'm waiting for them to finally just drop the MSNBC live name and just call it NBC News Live. They barely say MSNBC live anyways and logo has been gone forever

The updated "breaking news" banner reminds me of the O&O look with the gradients... Anyone else getting that feel?

I always felt the current O&O look was a rejected MSNBC package.

There are certain elements that remind me of the O&O look and others that remind me of Nightly News.

I always felt the current O&O look was a rejected MSNBC package.

There are certain elements that remind me of the O&O look and others that remind me of Nightly News.

I can see that. Maybe it's some of the complexities of the package that makes me think that it was originally for MSNBC. But what make you think that.

Archived