MSNBC Rebranding?

rkolsen

The challenge is the network still has a good amount of opinion driven programming. Harder to associate that with the straight NBC News brand.

They're not quite at the CNN level of keeping it straight.

Tell me you didn't just...

Nope,

You did.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welp, turns out there is no rebranding in the works. Just more promotion for the NBC News brand. And this actually began last Saturday.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/msnbc-nbc-news-logos-1202015277/

Either it's "just more promotion for the NBC News brand" or it's just a very slow and very gradual way of rebranding the channel. "MSNBC" still feels like a terrible relic of a bygone era.

Tell me you didn't just...

Nope,

You did.

Yes I did. There's not much straight about it.

The blurry 'line' CNN has established is only 'journalists' hosting the weekday shows. Even Don Lemon (cough).

Not that other talking heads don't make up 90% of the air time....

MSNBC...Matthews / O'Donnell / Maddow....they don't say they're journalists. Not that we can tell the difference.

Bring back the red line and Donna Kelly please.

No way CNN brings back that red line. It seems like they're relishing as being the FOX News of the left. Despite what Trump says about CNN "failing", if that were the case then Zucker would have ordered them to go back to hard news.

After many years of playing it safe down the middle (for the most part), they've come to realize that they could attract an audience if they went to the extreme in one direction--in this case the left. Once they decided to cross that line, no way that the people will seem the as anything other than a liberal outlet- much the way that people see FOX News as the conservative outlet.

Now's the chance for MSNBC to go hardcore/straight news. It will help them strengthen the NBC News brand if they go that direction. If they stick with commentary/opinion then they should ease off on the NBC News branding as that may taint the brand.

In regards to Don Lemon... Blame it on Zucker and the managers at CNN. They created Don " tv personality" Lemon. He lost his ability to be a journalist a long time ago when he realized that he could be a tv personality, have fun, act stupid and there'd be no repercussions for it.

I don't want to continue veering this thread off-topic but I have to correct something that's been said... CNN has not gone to the left. They're doing a better job of calling out lies. They also give too much time to paid commentators who lie, but that's another issue. CNN is not left... They're reporting the truth.

I don't want to continue veering this thread off-topic but I have to correct something that's been said... CNN has not gone to the left. They're doing a better job of calling out lies. They also give too much time to paid commentators who lie, but that's another issue. CNN is not left... They're reporting the truth.

MSNBC is left, Fox News is right, CNN is down the middle.

But don't be surprised if Trump does something similar to this one day...

Whether or not CNN is still center or is now left is up for debate, but one thing is for sure: CNN went from having pundits on 12 hours a day to 25 hours a day...

Cable news shows are unwatchable with that crap. Less punditry, more news. At least Fox gets it right with Special Report and Fox Report Saturday.

It's rather sad that BBC World News, Sky News, etc are doing a better job of providing serious and fairly pundit-free news coverage than the US channels.

Well, news channels in the UK are bound by Ofcom laws of impartiality, so that could be a factor. But then again, the only time CNNI has ever run into Ofcom problems was for all those sponsored lifestyle-news programs that they run on weekends, never for any CNN Domestic simulcasts.

Well, news channels in the UK are bound by Ofcom laws of impartiality, so that could be a factor.

This is true. I guess if they weren't, the news channels over there would be as bad as they are here.

It's a shame BBC World News isn't more widespread here, available in HD, and located near other cable news channels. (Where I am, it's SD only, buried far from even the SD feeds of the other news channels...and on a tier I lost when we got off of Xfinity's Triple Play).

But then again, the only time CNNI has ever run into Ofcom problems was for all those sponsored lifestyle-news programs that they run on weekends, never for any CNN Domestic simulcasts.

I wonder what Ofcom would say about MSNBC's prison shows. ;)

CNN is not going 'hard news' ... and it won't for some time. Need proof? Here you go.

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2016/05/18/cnn-greenlights-three-new-cnnoriginals-for-2017-slate-picks-up-new-seasons-of-returning-series/

The Rock??? Seriously??? My god.

-- Matt

Not totally disagreeing with you on the hard news aspect, but...

You can't take a non-news documentary (that's pretty much what all their "original series" are) and use it as proof of them not doing "hard news" considering the hours they air those documentaries.

It's rather sad that BBC World News, Sky News, etc are doing a better job of providing serious and fairly pundit-free news coverage than the US channels.

It's not sad that they do a better job than US, it's what they DO. It's sadder that it's not replicating here with our media.

Archived