MSNBC Rebranding?

rkolsen

Despite being an avid MSNBC viewer I would not have noticed these changes had not Georgie56 mentioned it on Monday in the chat box. I figured this is something that deserves its own thread. Yesterday @Georgie56 mentioned in the chat box that these blue box bumper animations which have been in use for years have been updated to show the NBC News logo: [MEDIA=imgur]DcYqPqd[/MEDIA] And overnight the glass marking "chair rail" logo was updated from a simple peacock to a peacock with NBC News written underneath. Additionally location identifiers in graphics now say NBC NEWS - NY. [MEDIA=imgur]PdLxLH9[/MEDIA]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too have noticed these changes, subtle as they may be.

This might be their push to reorient as more "news-oriented" during the daypart hours, and by relying more on the broadcast network's name for more 'straight-news' credibility, even if it the move is superficial in nature.

"NBC News Network" has a good ring to it; Microsoft's not even involved in it anymore, so why they still call the TV channel MSNBC (beyond separating the news website from the site about the channel itself) is beyond me.

NBC News Channel sounds a lot better.

Hello. With all respect, the "NBC News Channel" name is already taken; it is a name for the NBC News affiliate service. The "NBC News Network" would make an excellent new name for MSNBC.

Would it be important to distinguish the 24-hour NBC News channel from the brand as a whole? I can't come up with anything that doesn't sound clunky, and obviously, a name like "NBCNN" is out...

The challenge is the network still has a good amount of opinion driven programming. Harder to associate that with the straight NBC News brand.

They're not quite at the CNN level of keeping it straight.

But the name MSNBC doesn't make much sense at all anymore, so let's see how they change.

Who says it has to be bound to 'channel', 'network' in 2017 when you can subscribe to it with a service you don't need to memorize its channel number to get to? They could easily go with NewsSource, News Now (they'd probably have to buy out ABC's trademark for their old service), or make it full circle and call it NBC NewsCenter and take advantage of a trademark they already easily have.

Who says it has to be bound to 'channel', 'network' in 2017 when you can subscribe to it with a service you don't need to memorize its channel number to get to? They could easily go with NewsSource, News Now (they'd probably have to buy out ABC's trademark for their old service), or make it full circle and call it NBC NewsCenter and take advantage of a trademark they already easily have.

"NBC Red Network" :p

Poor Microsoft, subjected to MSNBC's constant corporate decisions for all these years. About time they changed the name. #FreeMSN

and guys,

NBC Sports Network. (NBCSN)

NBC News Network. (NBCNN)

If they don't name it that, or simply NBC News, I'm gonna start a riot.

If they rebrand, it should be "NBC News", and if anchors need to refer to the channel and not the department; i.e., to close out special reports, they can simply refer people to "the NBC News channel". It makes sense.

And opinion shows...? Dude, that hasn't stopped FOX...

Archived