Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has been speculated on for months, but don’t be surprised if Sinclair gets WOFL/WOGX in return for selling the previously mentioned stations. Sinclair wants to get into battleground states.

They can't get WOGX, as they already own 2 stations in Gainesville, and Gray would make a huge stink about it even if WCJB makes more revenue (most likely) than everyone else combined.

They can't get WOGX, as they already own 2 stations in Gainesville, and Gray would make a huge stink about it even if WCJB makes more revenue (most likely) than everyone else combined.

Sinclair can buy WOGX if they want to. This is because WNBW is owned by MPS Media and WMYG is owned by New Age Media and both are operated by Sinclair, Sinclair only owns WGFL so it could add a second station. This means Sinclair could control CBS, NBC, FOX, and MyNet in Gainesville.

Wikipedia:

"Since Sinclair doesn't own either WGFL or WNBW outright, it can acquire WOGX while continuing to operate WGFL and WNBW under a master service agreement."

That's the scary thought. Even though I live in a Sinclair market, I like the way the market looks now.

Did anyone catch the final paragraph in the Variety article:

"Sinclair has identified a handful of smaller markets that will also require divestitures to comply with FCC ownership limits. The Tegna station group is said to be in talks with Sinclair about picking up some of those stations."

I wonder if Tegna will pick up whatever is leftover, they can pick up Salt Lake City, OKC, Richmond, Des Moines, Harrisburg, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, New York, and Chicago.

If WJW is a lock...so much for FOX attempting to acquire WBNX or even W16DO (the former W35AX...of the "CAT"). Doing the latter would have been the next "NBC Boston" disaster waiting to happen...

Then again, once the heat dies down, Sinclair could go after either....W16DO is fair game since they're a class "A" station.

If WJW is a lock...so much for FOX attempting to acquire WBNX or even W16DO (the former W35AX...of the "CAT"). Doing the latter would have been the next "NBC Boston" disaster waiting to happen...

Then again, once the heat dies down, Sinclair could go after either....W16DO is fair game since they're a class "A" station.

Is WUAB up for sale?

I am more surprised that Kwgn was not thrown in with Kdvr. I don't how the ratings are but I would think Kdvr Fox31 has to be at least the #3 station in the Market if not #2 Sinclair dose not own in Station in Colorado if i recall.

Guest Former Member 207
Boy i don't know where to begin.

Something I just thought about...even though I do believe that WSFL will convert to a Fox station in due time, it's not out of the realm of possibly that WSFL stays as a CW affiliate, given that Fox already runs the CW affiliation on WPWR in Chicago. Then again, that only really works if Fox were to purchase a second station in Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

Something I just thought about...even though I do believe that WSFL will convert to a Fox station in due time, it's not out of the realm of possibly that WSFL stays as a CW affiliate, given that Fox already runs the CW affiliation on WPWR in Chicago. Then again, that only really works if Fox were to purchase a second station in Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

Well good luck with buying WSVN.

If FOX buys back KDVR FOX31, and becomes a FOX network O&O again, what's gonna happen to KWGN CW2?

It doesn say anything about KWGN in the

Will CW2 and FOX31 go their separate ways?

Or, will KDVR/KWGN get the WFLD/WPWR treatment? Meaning that CW2/FOX31 in Denver will be side-by-side with FOX32/CW50 in Chicago (both duopolies being part of the FOX television stations family)?

CBS could buy KWGN to form a duopoly with KCNC

Boy how DOES spectrum autcion even work?

During the recent FCC Spectrum Auction, Raycom Media sold the RF 28 spectrum that WUAB occupied. As a result, WUAB had to find a new home, thus Raycom merged WUAB with WOIO on RF 10 still mapping to PSIP 43 and WOIO on PSIP 19.

During the recent FCC Spectrum Auction, Raycom Media sold the RF 28 spectrum that WUAB occupied. As a result, WUAB had to find a new home, thus Raycom merged WUAB with WOIO on RF 10 still mapping to PSIP 43 and WOIO on PSIP 19.

Do you think it could happen in south florida too?

More likely that Fox hands Warren Buffett a blank check for WPLG.

And by “more likely,” I mean “as likely as the Browns will make the Super Bowl next year likely.”

No way will WPLG Disaffiliate with ABC, as with other cities have done before, where a big 3 (4) network switches from one station to another.

Altanta: 1980, 1994

Jacksonville: 1980? 1988, 1997, 2002

Phoenix: 1994/95

are some examples.

FOX could still pursue WBNX or W16DO as part of a duopoly for WJW. Could MyNetworkTV change affiliates if 55 or 16 joins 8?

FOX could still pursue WBNX or W16DO as part of a duopoly for WJW. Could MyNetworkTV change affiliates if 55 or 16 joins 8?

Not likely since Fox hasn't really been eager about getting MNTV in markets where it has a Fox O&O but not an MNTV O&O. For instance, it's been over three years since Fox acquired KTVU and KICU and yet, it hasn't moved MNTV from KRON to KICU.

Archived