Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Would any of the big 4's try to get these as O&Os? I could totally see FOX or CBS making a play for WGN in Chicago and possibly CBS in New York for WPIX.

CBS already owns two stations in NY, WCBS and WLNY. WLNY is on cable channel 10. If Sinclair did end up with PIX11 (lets hope not), I could see the CW moving at some point. I would think Tegna and Meredith are salivating over the possibility of entering DMA 1. I aways thought Tribune would have received more money if they sold off certain pieces separately such as their big market stations. I suspect because of the size of DMA 1, it is why WPIX is mentioned, as it contributes a signifiantly higher number of viewers than other Tribune stations. Let's hope this is all true.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is starting to not make sense--in particular tossing WGN.

There are plenty of different ways they can avert the cap without tossing the crown jewels in market 1 and *the* jewel in market 3. Why even bother with this then? Have they just conceded they can't compete in these places because of the politics?

Keeping KTLA makes sense because, I imagine, of the studio space / production arms that come with it.

If WGN is up for grabs (which, again, why?)--yeah, FOX is going to want that (perhaps even more than Q13) and they'll have the money when the Disney deal is done to do it.

Fox already owns WFLD and WPWR. It can't acquire WGN without divesting something.

Fox already owns WFLD and WPWR. It can't acquire WGN without divesting something.

Yeah, I’d assume that they would divest one, possibly to CBS to form a duopoly.

CBS already owns two stations in NY, WCBS and WLNY. WLNY is on cable channel 10. If Sinclair did end up with PIX11 (lets hope not), I could see the CW moving at some point. I would think Tegna and Meredith are salivating over the possibility of entering DMA 1. I aways thought Tribune would have received more money if they sold off certain pieces separately such as their big market stations. I suspect because of the size of DMA 1, it is why WPIX is mentioned, as it contributes a signifiantly higher number of viewers than other Tribune stations. Let's hope this is all true.

I’d get rid of WLNY in a heartbeat to pick up WPIX.

Sorry as I know this is bordering on speculation. I for my part will try to comment further in the speculation thread.

This is starting to not make sense--in particular tossing WGN.

And there's no mention in this document of the fate of WGN Radio also. At all. Nobody thought to include that in here and now you have that station panicking about their fate? Sinclair isn't keeping a radio station without its radio sister.

They'd probably get rid of both quite happily for WGN. FOX would instantly become a player in Chicago TV after so many years of lurking in WGN's shadow.

That and the revenue they'd earn from it would take the sting out of losing Q13 pretty quick.

EDIT: But of course because it's Sinclair, they're gonna be shelled--exactly what a lot of us thought they would do:

The filing discloses that Sinclair already has buyers lined up for both stations and that Sinclair intends to continue running the stations through an “options and services agreement” inked with the buyers. That will raise some hackles among media watchdog groups that have long been critical of Sinclair’s use of such shared-services agreements, which are seen as an end-run around the FCC’s ownership rules.

...Sinclair’s filing also identified eight markets — including Seattle, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, and Oklahoma City — where it needs to sell off stations to comply with FCC rules regarding the number of outlets a single entity can own in a given market. But again, Sinclair said it plans to enter into agreements with buyers in three of those markets — Seattle, Oklahoma City, and Greensboro, N.C. — to continue operating the stations even after a sale.

Deerfield Media finally hits the big time!

Were I a FOX exec, I'd be livid.

Here ya go from variety.com on Sinclair plans w/ Chicago & NY stations

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sinclair-tribune-new-york-chicago-sell-fcc-1202706640/

According to this article, Sinclair plans on keeping operational control of most of the divestitures. In other words, Sinclair plans on playing the shell game for New York, Chicago, and the conflict markets.

I'd love to see Hearst and/or Cox get PIX and WGN-- they run their stations competently (well, except WFXT) and they don't skimp on budgets.

Read the Variety article from the post right above yours. Nearly all of the so-called divested stations would end up being sold to what is likely a shell company, but still remain operated by Sinclair. It's a total end-run around the ownership rules, and if regulators had any backbone, they'd put a stop to the practice. They don't, of course, as we all know.

Can we try to keep the wishful thinking “I hope [arbitrary “favorite” media company] gets [television station usually not even in the market the author lives in].” stuff to a minimum? It’s not constructive and just leads to speculation.

This is going to be a toss-up on how Sinclair is going to run some of the news-intensive Fox stations like KCPQ, WXMI, WPMT, KSTU, and WGHP. I believe that all but WGHP is getting gutted like a fish outside of mornings and primetime newscasts. WGHP, OTOH, might produce some newscasts for WXLV possibly under a combined umbrella ("Piedmont NewsCentral", anyone?).

WGHP, OTOH, might produce some newscasts for WXLV possibly under a combined umbrella ("Piedmont NewsCentral", anyone?).

That's exactly what they'll do in St. Louis as well, given that they're planning on keeping KDNL, since they're claiming that it's still #5.

Read the Variety article from the post right above yours. Nearly all of the so-called divested stations would end up being sold to what is likely a shell company, but still remain operated by Sinclair. It's a total end-run around the ownership rules, and if regulators had any backbone, they'd put a stop to the practice. They don't, of course, as we all know.

None of the major groups, Cox, Scripps, Tegna, Hearst would allow Sinclair to have operational control of WPIX and WGN. What seemed like good news no longer is. Unless, the FCC grows a pair, recognized that this is just a run around, and says divest completely. I am assuming all stations that end up in the divestiture trust will enter similar agreements, meaning the divestiture is a paper exercise and nothing more. Shameful.

This is going to be a toss-up on how Sinclair is going to run some of the news-intensive Fox stations like KCPQ, WXMI, WPMT, KSTU, and WGHP. I believe that all but WGHP is getting gutted like a fish outside of mornings and primetime newscasts. WGHP, OTOH, might produce some newscasts for WXLV possibly under a combined umbrella ("Piedmont NewsCentral", anyone?).

It's a great day for rivals like KIRO, WGAL, KSL and WXII...

I'd be curious to see how WJZY is faring. Has it been worth it for Fox?

They seem to be neck and neck with WCCB for 4th/5th. In most - but not all - large markets, a good alternative does exist by moving a full-power CW or MNTV affiliate to Fox. But in smaller markets, the only options are DT2's or even DT3's.

Archived