Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

I won’t go that far with regards to Armstrong Williams.

At the worst, he’s very disingenuous and somewhat sanctimonious. And he was best buds with the Modell family - especially Art and David - which for anyone from Cleveland, automatically puts you on the public enemy list.** And that’s all I’ll say about him.

** How much do Clevelanders still hate Art Modell? This much.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he cared about Flint, he'd actually be running the programming on it, not Sinclair.

If he cared about Charleston, Tuscaloosa or anywhere else he's running a station, he'd actually provide decent community based programming and not a bunch of 1950s black and white TV shows from that Heros and Icons syndie bullshit.

Armstrong Williams = Eddie Edwards.

i think what many people fail to realize... is that sinclair is a buyer in a seller's market... would you rather have two stations in a market owned by sinclair or two fewer stations in a market??? like it or not but that is where we are headed... eventually we will reach a point where nobody wants to buy certain stations... maybe a move back towards the "early days" of radio and tv where a local business buys a station for free commercial time, run out of a back room in a converted garage... sure you will all love that...

local tv is dying... at the hands of consultants who pretend like they can bring in "millennials" who just don't care about local tv... it seems to me like the likes of tegna and scripps are doing more harm to the industry with their "digital" ideas than sinclair is running regular news, even if it leans right... even then... local news viewers skew older and more conservative... sinclair plays right into that... at least they're keeping someone engaged...

local tv viewership is dropping off at an alarming rate... 5 years from now some of you are going to be on here, wailing about more stations going dark... they probably won't all be sinclair stations, either... and then the first network will pull the plug on ota transmission... then things will get really fun... like it or not but sinclair has the right ideas to keep tv on life support... similar ventures have helped keep newspapers and radio afloat... central casting is to tv what "usa today" is to newspapers...

sorry to be a downer but that's the way i sees it...

central casting is to tv what "usa today" is to Gannett newspapers (and formerly Gannett/TEGNA stations)

Fixed.

Remember the free advertising to USA Today, which Gannett gave to their stations (including ex-Belo stations) around 2013-2015, before the split?

A new report is circulating, in which (soon-to-be "New") Fox are in talks to buy 10 Sinclair stations while the latter continues acquiring Tribune.

My guess is those 10 stations Fox is trying to buy are in NFL markets (i.e. Seattle, Cleveland, Denver, etc.) though I can't see Sinclair willing to part ways with the mothership in WBFF.

My guess is those 10 stations Fox is trying to buy are in NFL markets (i.e. Seattle, Cleveland, Denver, etc.) though I can't see Sinclair willing to part ways with the mothership in WBFF.

Yeah, but that leaves many of the conflict markets. And the only one I can think of where Fox would conceivably buy a station would be Seattle, not unless they also re-acquired WGHP to make it a sister to their Charlotte duopoly of WJZY-WMYT in an arrangement akin to KTBC and KDFW.

Yeah, but that leaves many of the conflict markets. And the only one I can think of where Fox would conceivably buy a station would be Seattle, not unless they also re-acquired WGHP to make it a sister to their Charlotte duopoly of WJZY-WMYT in an arrangement akin to KTBC and KDFW.

I doubt that Fox will take WGHP. Not a NFL market and also last I checked, Raleigh is not in WGHP's viewing area.

I wouldn't be surprised if the list also includes Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Green Bay, as well as a few non-NFL markets such as Salt Lake City and Richmond.

I wouldn't be surprised if the list also includes Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Green Bay, as well as a few non-NFL markets such as Salt Lake City and Richmond.

I would love to see Pittsburgh included in this. I really would.

I doubt that Fox will take WGHP. Not a NFL market and also last I checked, Raleigh is not in WGHP's viewing area.

I can’t see WGHP being on the list, either. It made sense in 1995 as Taft II was exiting broadcasting. Not now.

Fox already has a Charlotte duopoly and that’s all they need.

Like I said, "in an arrangement akin to KTBC and KDFW". Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point is the market directly north of Charlotte and is within the Panthers' DMA, as are Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson and Columbia in South Carolina (which don't have Fox affiliate that would be in contention to be acquired by FTS). KTBC isn't part of the main DMA of the Cowboys either, but Fox hasn't ever considered selling it in any other sale transaction it has conducted over the past eleven years.

KCPQ will be an O&O. That is a formality.

I’m not really up to guessing which stations will be taken, either here or in Speculatron. While I waver in the “wish list” Scott Jones posted**, he nailed the “6-10 stations” mark.

**Does Fox really want KSWB? I can understand wanting WJW, WITI and a few others... but that still has me puzzled.

And so, everything old is new again...

I think FOX gets a station in every market where there’s an NFC team and they don’t have one. I think it’s the only way they don’t raise Hell over the deal. The good old “Got mine” mentality.

FOX grabbing WPHL protects their own 10PM news on WTXF and makes approval of the deal way easier to pass regulatory muster given Philly’s size, but I can’t see Sinclair doing it so easily—PA’s an important state for them to be in, and ideally that means every market.

Same deal with WSFL (completely forgot about them!)—FOX has no business being in Miami with SVN as good as it is and no NFC team, and Sinclair needs to be in as much of a swing state as possible.

Raycom still owns a decent number of strong FOX affiliates in the south (notably WBRC) so I could see them kvetching over WVUE, though it’d be a HUGE upgrade for ABC.

I could see FOX taking back one of the Tribune stations in St Louis, with the ABC affiliation (and its news department) moving from KDNL to whatever’s left. Again, potentially good news for ABC there.

NOLA, GB, Milwaukee, Seattle, Cleveland, St. Louis, and (I guess) San Diego gets you to 10 stations. Boom.

FOX has enough money once the Disney sale is done to get way more, if they're really going to go all-in with a mostly live (sports) schedule. Again, this only works if they get ALL the NFL rights, and NFL maintains its popularity over time.

I hope KFOR is NOT one of them.

Scott Jones did casually mention on November 30 that Nexstar and/or Meredith could be possible suitors for the remaining conflict stations Fox doesn’t want.

OKC and Wilkes-Barre are, to the best of my knowledge, the only remaining conflict markets after what most of us are assuming this “6-10 station” Fox deal will entail. The Tribune buyout then becomes a clean one.

NOLA, GB, Milwaukee, Seattle, Cleveland, St. Louis, and (I guess) San Diego gets you to 10 stations. Boom.

WDAF honestly makes more sense than KSWB (both being on the Scott Jones “wish list”), but I think you nailed it.

It’s funny that Fox could technically be buying their way into a new affiliation in NOLA... again. Remember that WVUE - along with WLUK and WALA - became a Fox affiliate after Fox bought a sizable ownership stake in Savoy Broadcasting.

**Does Fox really want KSWB? I can understand wanting WJW, WITI and a few others... but that still has me puzzled.

Ya gotta party somewhere.

Once you get past the rampant "homeless" population of tweekers and parolees...the God awful taxes...and the Mexican sewage.

San Diego is not that bad...

Tee shirts and shorts, no nasty humidity...no giant bugs.

If you can dodge a few stray bullets like in Cle...you will be fine.

Bring money

I would love to see Pittsburgh included in this. I really would.

I hope it happens for WPGH, that stations needs a newly re-brand news department, with new anchors, new set, and new look for FOX 53. Maybe WPXI can return

their 10PM News back to PCNC.

Has this piece of information been posted before? At the tail end of the Variety article: The markets Sinclair has identified for divestitures are: Seattle, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Okla., Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C., Grand Rapids, Mich., Harrisburg, Pa., Richmond, Va., Des Moines, Iowa, and Portland, Ore.

I hope it happens for WPGH, that stations needs a newly re-brand news department, with new anchors, new set, and new look for FOX 53. Maybe WPXI can return

their 10PM News back to PCNC.

Sinclair has ran FOX 53 into the ground. And if anyone can resurrect the station, its Fox. At last check, though, I think that the 10pm news race here in Pittsburgh isn't all that competitve. The WPXI-produced 10pm news on WPGH beats KDKA's 10pm news on WPCW by leaps and bounds. Their slogan for the 10pm news on WPGH is actually "Pittsburgh's 10 O'Clock News Station".

Archived