Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I know. Although, KFOR would be a good fit for TEGNA.

I know that this is too early, but wouldn't be ironic that in the event TEGNA acquires KFOR/KAUT the licenses would be assigned to Combined Communications of Oklahoma, the current licensee of WZZM and the former licensee of KOCO before the 1997 Argyle/Gannett trade. Just a thought.

Sinclair is keeping everything. Pai isn’t going to blink an eye when they shell everything.

The Department of Justice may actually care.

DOJ reviews are about things not explicitly related to FCC licenses. Could a combination of TV stations, for instance, be successful at fixing advertising prices in a television market?

The Department of Justice may actually care.

DOJ reviews are about things not explicitly related to FCC licenses. Could a combination of TV stations, for instance, be successful at fixing advertising prices in a television market?

Fair point. Speaking of Tegna, its former parent, Gannett, ran into that same issue when it acquired Belo four years ago. They wanted to keep the Arizona Republic and KPNX, and shell KTVK and KASW into a company owned by a former Belo executive. Gannett was ultimately forced to jettison KTVK to Meredith and KASW to Nexstar, partly because of questions over how that combination could set advertising rates as well as the crossownership problems.

Fair point. Speaking of Tegna, its former parent, Gannett, ran into that same issue when it acquired Belo four years ago. They wanted to keep the Arizona Republic and KPNX, and shell KTVK and KASW into a company owned by a former Belo executive. Gannett was ultimately forced to jettison KTVK to Meredith and KASW to Nexstar, partly because of the advertising price issue as well as the crossownership problems.

Well, what's odd is that I remember the consent decree. It did not cover Phoenix, just KMOV in St. Louis.

The sale of KTVK to Meredith was a total surprise.

Well, what's odd is that I remember the consent decree. It did not cover Phoenix, just KMOV in St. Louis.

The sale of KTVK to Meredith was a total surprise.

This is true. The issue Gannett/Tegna ran into was that it was going to own the top 2 rated stations in St. Louis with its acquisition of Belo. The DOJ would've never tolerated something like that especially back then.

Gannett/Tegna probably could've kept KTVK if it really wanted to but it would've had to spin it off into a sidecar group like it had to do with KGW and WHAS. Gannett/Tegna just figured it wasn't worth the hassle. Looking back on that, it was probably the best because I can't imagine that Tegna would let KTVK run independently of KPNX like it is with KPHO.

Armstrong Williams, owner of Sinclair's sidecar Howard Stirk Holdings published an op-ed in the New York Amsterdam News regarding the sale. According to him, the DOJ is "wavering in their decision to allow station divestitures to my African-American owned companies when the transaction included joint sales agreements, shared service agreements and loan guarantee agreements. "

Pretty much, he's complaining that DOJ is apparently looking hard at Sinclair's request to shell out overlapping stations and he's framing it as a rejection of minority ownership.

According to the FCC, we are on Day 168 of the 180 Day Shot Clock. What exactly happens after day 180?

Tribune has to pay a crapton of cash to Sinclair. No joke. It's not the other way around.

That shot clock has to be extended at some point, honestly.

According to the FCC, we are on Day 168 of the 180 Day Shot Clock. What exactly happens after day 180?

Day 181.

Seriously, that's about it. The "shot clock" is simply an informal timeline that gives a rough guidance for when a decision might be reached, but that's all. A decision of some complexity and/or importance may end up taking longer than 180 days.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/informal-timeline-consideration-applications-transfers-or-assignments-licenses-or

Tribune has to pay a crapton of cash to Sinclair. No joke. It's not the other way around.

That shot clock has to be extended at some point, honestly.

The FCC's shot clock has nothing to do with any contractual agreement between Tribune and Sinclair. The dates established in the merger agreement are entirely independent of the FCC's timeline.

The FCC's shot clock has nothing to do with any contractual agreement between Tribune and Sinclair. The dates established in the merger agreement are entirely independent of the FCC's timeline.

Oh THAT'S right. I was only thinking of "merger agreement."

The three Republican FCC commissioners couldn't care less.

Armstrong Williams, owner of Sinclair's sidecar Howard Stirk Holdings published an op-ed in the New York Amsterdam News regarding the sale. According to him, the DOJ is "wavering in their decision to allow station divestitures to my African-American owned companies when the transaction included joint sales agreements, shared service agreements and loan guarantee agreements. "

Pretty much, he's complaining that DOJ is apparently looking hard at Sinclair's request to shell out overlapping stations and he's framing it as a rejection of minority ownership.

Also blaming the "deep state" here. He is not a legitimate minority owner, as it is only a shell of Sinclair. If you want to be legitimate, cut all ties all the way down. Otherwise you're just part of Sinclair.

Also blaming the "deep state" here. He is not a legitimate minority owner, as it is only a shell of Sinclair. If you want to be legitimate, cut all ties all the way down. Otherwise you're just part of Sinclair.

The guy is legit....and he has invested plenty of money into communities that get terrible to awful news coverage.

...like Flint, Mi.

Show me a white owner willing to invest in Flint.

So being associated with Sinclair AND being black is a dis qualifier to "legit" ownership???

A position like that just screams....of a 6 letter word.

I think we at TVNT are better than that.

The guy is legit....and he has invested plenty of money into communities that get terrible to awful news coverage.

...like Flint, Mi.

Show me a white owner willing to invest in Flint.

So being associated with Sinclair AND being black is a dis qualifier to "legit" ownership???

A position like that just screams....of a 6 letter word.

I think we at TVNT are better than that.

Armstrong isn't spending nor investing HIS money in Flint. While he and HSH might "nominally" own WEYI, it's operated by Sinclair along with Cunningham's WBSF.

In fact, of the six licenses HSH holds, half of them rely on Sinclair for money: WEYI & WWMB both have SSAs with the Sinclair station in the market, and WGWW has a time broker agreement to repeat WBMA+ on its subs.

All the rest of his stations run bare budget in markets where a Sinclair station most likely runs the programming for them off-books. Plus his weekly Sunday show is taped in Sinclair's WJLA's DC studios and are distributed to only Sinclair stations.

So, lets be real -- he is not some pioneering broadcaster trying to increase minority investment in media. He's merely an independent contractor of Sinclair that they can use as a "wink, wink, nod nod" independent voice.

Armstrong isn't spending nor investing HIS money in Flint. While he and HSH might "nominally" own WEYI, it's operated by Sinclair along with Cunningham's WBSF.

In fact, of the six licenses HSH holds, half of them rely on Sinclair for money: WEYI & WWMB both have SSAs with the Sinclair station in the market, and WGWW has a time broker agreement to repeat WBMA+ on its subs.

All the rest of his stations run bare budget in markets where a Sinclair station most likely runs the programming for them off-books. Plus his weekly Sunday show is taped in Sinclair's WJLA's DC studios and are distributed to only Sinclair stations.

So, lets be real -- he is not some pioneering broadcaster trying to increase minority investment in media. He's merely an independent contractor of Sinclair that they can use as a "wink, wink, nod nod" independent voice.

Ok..

Just don't be black.

Wink wink...nod nod.

And I'm sure the black community will support this wink and nod 100%.

Because ya know....

It's just Sinclair.

EDIT: 4 hours later..after a drive...

Now I will accept that this space we are in is "our space" and we talk about some things differently and SEE things differently than the general public.

I'm not here to jump any members shit on this because I getting some empathy and I like all you guys despite some extreme views.

But really guys.

Blacks and others who have any desire to be part of TV is a good thing. This encourages black children to get involved and that leads to positive community involvement.

If there was a black owned TV station in Chicago or Detroit with connections to Sinclair would you still make an issue out of it?

Is this really about Sinclair and sidecars? Or is this just about the hate for the President?

Come on guys...I just think we are beyond that by now. Black involvement is good no matter what. How can anyone here disqualify the actions of this man? BFD if he gets money from Sinclair..nobody in Flint cares one iota about Sinclair, Boris or any of that crap.

The just care about their community and the black man running the station. They care about employment, gangs, killings, schools and local sports.

Do we really want to mess things up somewhere else because we hate Sinclair and it's political views despite how that black community feels?

Convince the people of Flint that YOU (Sinclair and Trump haters) are right about this.

Better yet....I'm open minded...convince me That Mr. Armstrong is some kind of Uncle Tom.

I'm done now.

Thank you for reading.

Ok..

Just don't be black.

Wink wink...nod nod.

Because ya know....

It's just Sinclair.

Now I will accept that this space we are in is "our space" and we talk about some things differently and SEE things differently than the general public.

I'm not here to jump any members shit on this because I getting some empathy and I like all you guys despite some extreme views.

But really guys.

Blacks and others who have any desire to be part of TV is a good thing. This encourages black children to get involved and that leads to positive community involvement.

If there was a black owned TV station in Chicago or Detroit with connections to Sinclair would you still make an issue out of it?

Is this really about Sinclair and sidecars? Or is this just about the hate for the President?

Come on guys...I just think we are beyond that by now. Black involvement is good no matter what. How can anyone here disqualify the actions of this man? BFD if he gets money from Sinclair..nobody in Flint cares one iota about Sinclair, Boris or any of that crap.

The just care about their community and the black man running the station. They care about employment, gangs, killings, schools and local sports.

Do we really want to mess things up somewhere else because we hate Sinclair and it's political views despite how that black community feels?

Convince the people of Flint that YOU (Sinclair and Trump haters) are right about this.

Better yet....I'm open minded...convince me That Mr. Armstrong is some kind of Uncle Tom.

I'm done now.

Thank you for reading.

What is with the winks and the nods? It's creepy. And the millions of ellipsis that fill your posts?

Look, it is clear as day what your political leanings are (as much as you proclaim your political independence) so please don't act like your perspective is an objective or moderate view.

But hey, I shouldn't knock you for this post as it is in the 1% of serious stuff you post, as opposed to the other 99% stuff that is meant to be make believe or funny (but in most instances is not). Take for instance this one: https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/dj-bexs-year-end-video-countdown-2017.16525/ --- you posted it in the breakroom and no one noticed and then you posted it in General TV and responded twice to it and still no one noticed. Where is the humor in this? You are beginning to demonstrate borderline trolling behaviors.

Ok..

Just don't be black.

Wink wink...nod nod.

Because ya know....

It's just Sinclair.

But really guys.

I'm done now.

Thank you for reading.

Armstrong does not care about these televisions stations, the communities they serve or even about the programming that is on those stations. He owns them at the behest of Sinclair, a corporate giant who wants them but can't because of the rules.

If he cared about Flint, he'd actually be running the programming on it, not Sinclair.

If he cared about Charleston, Tuscaloosa or anywhere else he's running a station, he'd actually provide decent community based programming and not a bunch of 1950s black and white TV shows from that Heros and Icons syndie bullshit.

Armstrong is a Uncle Tom, because at this moment, he's using his blackness in that op-ed because it makes a nice cover up for those who wish to line his pockets. But soon as it's over, he'll return to the ways he has been for years -- selling his soul to people whose beliefs and wishes end up hurting others that look just like him ("What the hell do I have to lose?" one of them is known for saying)

PS: You're right that Flint doesn't give a shit who owns the damn station -- they just want clean fucking drinking water.

What is with the winks and the nods? It's creepy. And the millions of ellipsis that fill your posts?

Look, it is clear as day what your political leanings are (as much as you proclaim your political independence) so please don't act like your perspective is an objective or moderate view.

But hey, I shouldn't knock you for this post as it is in the 1% of serious stuff you post, as opposed to the other 99% stuff that is meant to be make believe or funny (but in most instances is not). Take for instance this one: https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/dj-bexs-year-end-video-countdown-2017.16525/ --- you posted it in the breakroom and no one noticed and then you posted it in General TV and responded twice to it and still no one noticed. Where is the humor in this? You are beginning to demonstrate borderline trolling behaviors.

Wow...guess I'm living rent free in your head. If I want to be conservative one day...and liberal the next, I will do so.

I'm not locked into any one point of view....

But as long as I irritate you Mr. cna247 then fine. You don't sign my paycheck.

You could have tried to make some kind of rational argument...but you didn't.

I hope you read KevCors responses.

Kev made a rational argument that made me think ...I may even change my mind based on what he has said.

Stuff is soaring way over your head cna247.

We can't help it if you don't "get it".

So if you don't find my highly sophisticated Hampton bred humor to your liking...

Send me your mailing address and I will send you an autographed copy of my best selling book and companion cassette tape about how to remove sticks from yer butt.

Oh...and I DID move the DJ BEX posting because it was so dang funny that nobody got to see it down in the breakroom.

But some shit does BOMB...poor DJ BEX may not see 2019.

I move post...I delete them...I edit them on the fly and often edit hours and days later. I just may edit this post later in the year and add all kinds of edits and revisions that make me look steller! So check all my post cna247.

So what!

Why does that bug you? Would you like a nice hug?

Finally...

Armstrong is playing by the rules established by the FCC. The same FCC that granted him the ability to have that station regardless of where the money comes from. The same FCC that was under Clinton, Bush and Obama for the previous 16 years.

100% legal and out in the public for all to see.

Nobody seemed too concerned before...and they don't care now. I waited almost a full day for somebody to respond to that original posting. I even had a few responses started...but I ended up waiting to see if anyone would take the bait that the original poster left out for all.

It's only about hate. The absolute hate for a person that loves this country.

KevCor at least had the balls to respond honestly. And he even got a good jab in about the water. Nice job Kev.

If I can't make cna247 laugh...then he is a lost cause.

Sleep will cna247

Armstrong does not care about these televisions stations, the communities they serve or even about the programming that is on those stations. He owns them at the behest of Sinclair, a corporate giant who wants them but can't because of the rules.

If he cared about Flint, he'd actually be running the programming on it, not Sinclair.

If he cared about Charleston, Tuscaloosa or anywhere else he's running a station, he'd actually provide decent community based programming and not a bunch of 1950s black and white TV shows from that Heros and Icons syndie bullshit.

Armstrong is a Uncle Tom, because at this moment, he's using his blackness in that op-ed because it makes a nice cover up for those who wish to line his pockets. But soon as it's over, he'll return to the ways he has been for years -- selling his soul to people whose beliefs and wishes end up hurting others that look just like him ("What the hell do I have to lose?" one of them is known for saying)

PS: You're right that Flint doesn't give a shit who owns the damn station -- they just want clean fucking drinking water.

If Flint can't support a station, why do Meredith and Gray have much stronger stations in that market?

Also the partisanship and bullying of Sinclair has gone on much, much longer than this administration. It has gone on for at least 15 years.

Wow...guess I'm living rent free in your head. If I want to be conservative one day...and liberal the next, I will do so.

I'm not locked into any one point of view....

But as long as I irritate you Mr. cna247 then fine. You don't sign my paycheck.

You could have tried to make some kind of rational argument...but you didn't.

I hope you read KevCors responses.

Kev made a rational argument that made me think ...I may even change my mind based on what he has said.

You're missing the point. I don't care whether you're a liberal or a conservative. But don't quote Breitbert in one post and then post the conservative point of view with regards to Armstrong and act like you're not repeating the Republican agenda. You are what you are so embrace and stop hiding from it.

Stuff is soaring way over your head cna247.

We can't help it if you don't "get it".

So if you don't find my highly sophisticated Hampton bred humor to your liking...

Send me your mailing address and I will send you an autographed copy of my best selling book and companion cassette tape about how to remove sticks from yer butt.

Yes you would make such cassette tapes because you're probably an expert at removing those "sticks from yer butt". I bet like a typical lady you'll even insist in getting the last word in here on our disagreement, and like any typical man, I'll let you because there is no point in continue to disagree with someone who refuses to acknowledge they're ever wrong.

Oh...and I DID move the DJ BEX posting because it was so dang funny that nobody got to see it down in the breakroom.

But some shit does BOMB...poor DJ BEX may not see 2019.

I move post...I delete them...I edit them on the fly and often edit hours and days later. I just may edit this post later in the year and add all kinds of edits and revisions that make me look steller! So check all my post cna247.

So what!

Why does that bug you? Would you like a nice hug?

DJ Bex stuff -- not funny! That's why no one responded. You continue living in your make believe world. And contrary to what you think, I do not spend my entire day lurking around this website like you and some others do (check my posting history if you don't believe me). You mention KevCor responding honestly - why don't you take a page out of his book and respond honestly from now on and keep your bad (and not funny) jokes to a minimum?

Finally...

Armstrong is playing by the rules established by the FCC. The same FCC that granted him the ability to have that station regardless of where the money comes from. The same FCC that was under Clinton, Bush and Obama for the previous 16 years.

100% legal and out in the public for all to see.

Nobody seemed too concerned before...and they don't care now. I waited almost a full day for somebody to respond to that original posting. I even had a few responses started...but I ended up waiting to see if anyone would take the bait that the original poster left out for all.

It's only about hate. The absolute hate for a person that loves this country.

KevCor at least had the balls to respond honestly. And he even got a good jab in about the water. Nice job Kev.

If I can't make cna247 laugh...then he is a lost cause.

Sleep will cna247

I have no hate. You just annoy me a lot. But I try to find a little love even for people like you. As for the "hate" comment, not sure if you're referring to yourself or the President. Nonetheless, glad to hear that you and/or the President love our country. I do too. Glad we can agree on one thing.

I have no hate. You just annoy me a lot. But I try to find a little love even for people like you. As for the "hate" comment, not sure if you're referring to yourself or the President. Nonetheless, glad to hear that you and/or the President love our country. I do too. Glad we can agree on one thing.

Just give it some time...

I will grow on you...I promise. (smoochie)

Wait till you see my new ChopperX coming in 2018

Archived