Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

A new lenghty piece this morning from the New York Times about Sinclair.

This quote caught me:

“It doesn’t make any sense. It is a sham,” said Jim Goodmon, president of Capitol Broadcasting Company, a small television and radio company in Raleigh, N.C. “It becomes a game of scale and the big guys will have everything.”

Finally, another broadcast owner - albeit a minnow in the pond (despite being highly successful) - has spoken out.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to wonder if other broadcasters are afraid of speaking out for fear that Sinclair will target them for acquisition.

That might be possible.

Perhaps Sinclair knocked on Capitol's door for an offer once, but Goodmon et. al. threw a pie back into the face of the Smith clan?

A new lenghty piece this morning from the New York Times about Sinclair.

Well after that NYT piece was posted, the House Democrats sent out this letter to Pai, as they were concern that "he may have taken a series of actions to benefit Sinclair that could show a "pattern" of preferential treatment and may have been inappropriately coordinated with the White House and the company".

Even former Chairman Wheeler thinks this is happening.

It is 200% happening. And Paid Off will absolutely get away with it. He's a crook and scam artist of the worst order, just like his Russian puppet boss.

The Democrats have no power to stop anything.

It is 200% happening. And Paid Off will absolutely get away with it. He's a crook and scam artist of the worst order, just like his Russian puppet boss.

The Democrats have no power to stop anything.

Next up, he'll pull the plug on net neutrality and let his corporate overlords control everything we see and do on the interwebs, and then later triple, quadruple, or even decuple the costs to use it ..... because they can.

Back on the topic...I am starting to think there is a better chance than any deal in recent memory that it could be outright denied, not just require strong conditions.

The Charlottesville attack and Sinclair's alt-right ties will likely be a big sticking point to many in the departments responsible, so it may get denied as a result (in addition to the fact it blows right past caps, but they may go further and deny it immediately rather than force divestitures). Although if this blows up in SBG's face, they will likely fight tooth and nail...

I don't expect the FCC or the DOJ to deny the merger just because of the events of Charlottesville attacks, if anything they will definately require divestitures in the conflict markets (which means in some markets including OKC, Sinclair can't use a Deerfield or Cunningham to operate such stations) depending on what Pai decides to change on media ownership rules.

IF the top 2 stations same market rule gets repealed you can expect SBG to keep the stations that would otherwise with that rule being in effect would had to be sold off. Don't expect the top 2 same market rule to be repealed unless, the FCC raises the 39% cap and correct me if I'm wrong but, I haven't seen Congress even mention a word about raising the ownership cap at all.

The other one is the 8 unique voices rule (which would allow Sinclair to keep KXNW and a few others that otherwise would have to use Deerfield or Cunningham to operate because Sinclair couldn't legally form a duopoly in those markets) that one I expect to get repealed.

Next up, he'll pull the plug on net neutrality and let his corporate overlords control everything we see and do on the interwebs, and then later triple, quadruple, or even decuple the costs to use it ..... because they can.

Republicans want a Russian media structure in which rich oligarchs like the Smith KKKlan can control everything, dissent is silenced, and terrorists like Osama bin Epshteyn can spout fascist agitprop while targeting opponents for death.

Altji Paid Off just wants as much money as he can grab his hands on.

It's a fait accompli. Enjoy life in the new inescapable Sinclair Reich Broadcasting Company dystopia.

Now up to over 800 posts on the FCC page. Although most are just from citizens complaining about Sinclair's reach and political views, some do make note of laws that they will break.

Sinclair stock is at the lowest level since the week after the election, and is down about 25% from when the deal was announced and 40% from its peak.

Some petition of deny applicants have now formed a coalition to fight against transcation.

https://savelocalmedia.com/

It does have legitimacy in that is spans the spectrum. Free Press is not on board yet but I am sure they will be soon.

Hopefully some rival broadcast companies sign on. So far the only broadcasting owner that seems to have spoken out is Capitol (WRAL), which is a minnow at the national level even though they are the dominant station in their home market.

Hopefully some rival broadcast companies sign on.

Doubt any major names will. Many of them have business interests that involve Sinclair. Do you really think, like, Scripps is going to say anything when Sinclair would make a perfect home for Escape/Grit/Laff? Do you really expect Nexstar or Gray or Tegna to say anything when these "relaxed rules" could work out in their favor as well?

I'd expect maybe some more tiny groups will get involved, MAYBE one big one (probably FOX) but I don't expect to see the "big names" jumping on board here.

Plus Sinclair owns an antenna manufacturer and a lot of stations are going to need new antennas with this repack. Wouldn't want that to become... Difficult... Y'know, orders get delayed, parts become unavailable... That's a nice new antenna you've got coming, Hearst. Be a shame if somethin' happened to it...

Sinclair stock is at the lowest level since the week after the election, and is down about 25% from when the deal was announced and 40% from its peak.

I will be forced to eat sea weed and hermit crabs if this stock decline continues.

http://www.insidesources.com/house-bill-block-sinclair-tribune-merger/

Several House Democrats namely David Price of North Carolina and Jared Huffman of California have made a proposal that would stop mergers like Sinclair-Tribune.

The bill introduced in late July has over a half-dozen Democratic co-sponsors, among them Reps. Anna Eshoo and Ro Khanna of California, Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, and Jamie Raskin of Maryland. Public interest groups like Free Press, Public Knowledge, the National Hispanic Media Coalition, Common Cause, and Consumers Union endorse the legislation.

With no republican support I don't see that one passing the house

I don't remember the terms of the acquisition (and I don't really care enough to go re-read them), but if the purchase involves payment via shares of stock to Tribune shareholders, is there a point where Sinclair stock will have fallen too much to still make the merger viable? That scenario happened most recently ending the RiteAid/Walgreens merger and almost stopped the Yahoo/Verizon merger.

If the stock drop stopped the RiteAid/Walgreens merger then I see no reason why it can't stop the Sinclair/Tribune merger either

If the stock drop stopped the RiteAid/Walgreens merger then I see no reason why it can't stop the Sinclair/Tribune merger either
Stock had nothing to do with the Rite Aid Walgreens merger being abandoned in exchange for a partial sale of Rite Aid.

Comparing the failed Walgreens-Rite Aid merger would be on the scales of if Sinclair tried to merge with Nexstar. The divestitures would have been massive. A concern of the deal was that Fred's, a much smaller company would have picked up the divested Rite Aid stores, which was almost double of their own store count, and that Fred's was struggling to begin with.

It would be like Morris trying to swallow the divested stations... there's no possible way they could handle many more stations in markets way larger than they operate.

Even the British can comprehend that a thoroughly fascist organization - tied to the hip with a Nazi sympathizer currently occupying the White House - seizing control of the lion's share of TV stations in the United States is a bad thing.

Still doesn't change how much of a foregone conclusion this atrocity is. Nothing will stop the Smith KKKlan from using their inevitable power as a impenetrable weapon against the moral fiber of this country.

Altji Paid Off needs to be sitting in a jail cell right now with no bond and a public defender. Instead he'll reap the rewards of being a rubber stamp Republican allowing their party to fulfill their Nazi dreams.

Archived