Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Did anyone look at the UHF discount chart in the article?

chart-1.png?w=570

I didn't realize that Scripps, Hearst, Raycom, Cox, Meredith, and Gray all had low coverage amounts even without the discount. Gray's current coverage percentage is particularly surprising considering that only Sinclair and Nexstar own more stations.

All of them have plenty of room to grow should they choose to, as does Graham.

Not sure who LBI Media Holdings, Northstar Media, Venture Technologies Group, PMCM TV, and HERO Broadcasting are, but most of those names feel speculator-ish.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it funny how we've been saying for years how Sinclair is a dangerous propaganda machine, but the mainstream media didn't see Sinclair as a threat until now.

It's only a threat when it's already too big. People said Microsoft was a risk at becoming a large monopoly in it's the early days when they started getting into agreements with sites to exclusively require Internet Explorer. Nobody cared until the Antitrust suit in 2001.

Standard Oil, AT&T, NBC Red and Blue...

chart-1.png?w=570

I didn't realize that Scripps, Hearst, Raycom, Cox, Meredith, and Gray all had low coverage amounts even without the discount. Gray's current coverage percentage is particularly surprising considering that only Sinclair and Nexstar own more stations.

Not sure who LBI Media Holdings, Northstar Media, Venture Technologies Group, PMCM TV, and HERO Broadcasting are, but most of those names feel speculator-ish.

Gray's largest market is DMA 62. They could buy a station in EVERY market smaller than that right down to Glendive, and they still wouldn't be close to the cap even without the UHF discount.

It's not until you start owning a lot of stations in top-50 - and especially top-25 - markets where the cap becomes a big issue.

chart-1.png?w=570

LBI Media Holdings is responsible for Estrella TV. Their largest station (and only one with a news department, IIRC), is KRCA in Los Angeles. Venture Technologies has been around at least back to the analog era, holding largely rim-shot UHFs, stations that are SSAed, and several LPTVs.

Northstar Media is stations that use to be owned by Una Vez Mas Holdings. Most of them are Azteca America affiliates.

_______

Okay, Variety posted this another piece about Sinclair, and the current state of Local TV. One production staffer from a well-known station has its worries.

Still, all of this has produced great trepidation among employees at Tribune outlets known for the depth and breadth of their news operations, notably WPIX-TV New York, KTLA-TV Los Angeles and WGN-TV Chicago.

“We have all grown up with this station,” says a WGN-TV news production staffer. “We’ve all worked here together for a long time. We are afraid [sinclair is] just going to dismantle all of that.”

_______

WGN Radio is moving to a new facility across the Chicago River at Illinois Center. They're building a state-of-the-art studio for the radio outlet. This will be the same building the corporate offices of Tribune Media will move to, which is also vacating the Tower.

But what happens if the Sinclair deal goes through? Anyone think that Sinclair would maintain two Chicago separate broadcast facilities (on Wacker Drive and on Bradley Place) on the long term? And no telling how long they're going to keep the corporate offices post-merger. But I'm not sure how long they'd kept the Schaumburg offices after the Barrington deal.

But what happens if the Sinclair deal goes through? Anyone think that Sinclair would maintain two Chicago separate broadcast facilities (on Wacker Drive and on Bradley Place) on the long term? And no telling how long they're going to keep the corporate offices post-merger. But I'm not sure how long they'd kept the Schaumburg offices after the Barrington deal.

The answer could depend on how Sinclair will operate its corporate structure. Tribune is very de-centralized. It allows its corporate executives to live anywhere in the country they want, traveling to Chicago or other Tribune cities when necessary. Tribune's corporate people live/work in Chicago, Texas, Utah, New Jersey, New York, Colorado, etc.. If Sinclair decides everyone has to work in Hunt Valley, corporate facilities in Chicago and elsewhere won't be necessary. I haven't seen any suggestion about whether Tribune's corporate staff (other than the top three principles) will be absorbed by Sinclair, or sent packing.

The rest of those are PMCM, whose claim to fame is the long-distance moves of KJWP and WJLP. HERO owns a couple of really lackluster Hispanic stations, notably KMOH-KEJR Phoenix and KBEH in California. That station will channel share with KWHY and is also to be sold to their owners, the Meruelo Group (which also owns some Los Angeles radio stations).

chart-1.png?w=570

PCMC (aka Press Communications) owns the two NJ Me-TV stations serving metro NY and metro Philly. The same owner has several radio stations down the shore.

The rest of those are PMCM, whose claim to fame is the long-distance moves of KJWP and WJLP. HERO owns a couple of really lackluster Hispanic stations, notably KMOH-KEJR Phoenix and KBEH in California. That station will channel share with KWHY and is also to be sold to their owners, the Meruelo Group (which also owns some Los Angeles radio stations).

This isn't correct about KBEH. The sale was withdrawn. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/104540/10m-zombie-station-sale-withdrawn

I still think HERO may shut down KMOH and sell KEJR-LD in the near future. They can't be making money off of Cuban-American targeted programming in a city where the majority of Hispanics are of Mexican descent.

I'm still surprised that Entravision CEO Walter Ulloa's LATV diginet is still in business too.

I still think HERO may shut down KMOH and sell KEJR-LD in the near future. They can't be making money off of Cuban-American targeted programming in a city where the majority of Hispanics are of Mexican descent.

I'm still surprised that Entravision CEO Walter Ulloa's LATV diginet is still in business too.

MundoMax folding really hurt them. Being an LPTV in Phoenix will soon too.

chart-1.png?w=570

I wonder why Fox isn't in that list?

Harry Jessell isn't a cheerleader for Sinclair he has point about Newsmax & OAN there just mad that their not going to get any of the conservative pie. I agree with the article it was pretty good read.

The amazing thing is that WJW has been sold eight times since Storer Broadcasting, and they've thrived in spite of that instability.

Sale number nine, in which Sinclair forcibly turns WJW into a soulless mouthpiece for the Republican Party capable of brainwashing the populace with fascist doctrine, may not be the charm.

Archived