Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of Hubbard, why have they been silent on the television front? They were said to be interested in Tribune way back in 2012 but fast forward to today and Sinclair has it. Maybe they'll get a few spinoffs?

I legitimately doubt that Hubbard wants to get into any big-time M&As. It's not they are hurting or trying to stay afloat in the business - WTOP radio is a billing monster.

At the very least they could take WGN 720 and meld it into their robust Chicago cluster. But really... that might be it.

There you go...piling on an old man just trying to sell his little e-book.

Zell said he can get away with stuff because he "dresses funny"...but is also smart.

Does it get any more stranger this week?

My head hurts.

Jamie Allman also trolled the comment section of this article too.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/sinclair-broadcast-to-buy-tribune-media-for-about-billion/article_738ae723-303c-52d0-b349-cecd5eedf922.html?mode=comments

Remember, he is supposed to be a TV professional on a Top 25 market ABC affiliate (in addition to host of a local morning right-wing radio talk show).

However he is conservative radio hag that has a show with miniscule viewers on an ABC station that is mostly operated remotely on a small budget that hasn't had a news department in years. The fact it is in a top 25 market and a network afflilate speaks to how poor Sinclair is as managers. Watch this model expanded with the new footprint.

Today's magic word is, "Syndex."

By the time Sinclair takes over, it will be all their own stuff anyways.

Wishful thinking, because that morning show is ten times better than the stuff that WGN America airs now.

Now I would love to see what becomes of News With A Twist!

By the time Sinclair takes over, it will be all their own stuff anyways.

Wishful thinking, because that morning show is ten times better than the stuff that WGN America airs now.

Now I would love to see what becomes of News With A Twist!

The impact in NOLA should be minimal - it might as well have been owned by Sinclair for many years. WWL, WVUE and WDSU will continue to cream WGNO...

Who would want ol' 720? iHeartMedia and Cumulus are desperately trying to avoid bankruptcy, and failing... so they're off the table immediately. Entercom is trying to complete their purchase of CBS Radio, and getting a third 50kW signal in their hands is an iffy prospect (Pai has wanted to eliminate sub-ownership caps in radio, thus making WGN a likely Entercom target... but that may be a long time from now).

For the near term, and possibly the long term, WGN 720 will be in Sinclair's hands by default.

Don't forget that Scripps owns radio too. I could see their radio people pushing for it seeing as they've been trying to pretend WTMJ 620 is a real 24/7 newsradio station , complete with 1am traffic reports even though it's Milwaukee and there's no traffic at 1AM..

KTLA and KCPQ are made by Hothaus. WTTV/WREG/WTKR and the Fox package are made by a company called 5dotFive. No graphics are hubbed.

This has been stated a few times in other threads, but that is incorrect. "5dotFive" is the former Art Director of Tribune Creative West. He simply posted the work he did at Tribune on his personal portfolio site. It is extremely common in the design industry (really the entertainment industry in general) for designers (or camera operators, or set designers, or lighting designers, or sound engineers, the list goes on...) to freelance under names like that and to post work they've done at their real job.

Any TV groups in line to pickup stations that Sinclair may have to sell off to please both the DOJ and the FCC?

IF Sinclair keeps KFOR I'd be worried about the newsroom/staff at KOKH as cuts may occur to both newsrooms due to consolidation BUT if Sinclair has to sell one of the duopolies which one does Sinclair sell and which ownership group that could be in line to pick them up?

Why is it ok to get a liberal bent but not a conservative bent? Just wondering why liberalism must be heard of every news outlet but not conservatism? Aren't you about "tolerance"? Aren't you about "fairness" and "freedom of speech"? Or does it only apply to liberals?

As far as Sinclair purchasing Tribune, what concerns me is the slashing of news operation budgets.

I agree I'm a conservative it's a breath of fresh air when there is a conservative bent from some news media SBG & Fox I'm sure there are other station groups that are conservative. Since 80% of the media has a liberal bias & bent CBS, ABC, NBC just sayin.

Don't forget that Scripps owns radio too. I could see their radio people pushing for it seeing as they've been trying to pretend WTMJ 620 is a real 24/7 newsradio station , complete with 1am traffic reports even though it's Milwaukee and there's no traffic at 1AM.

I've never heard of any radio station that has a 1:00am traffic report, though I can believe it...for New York, LA, and Chicago.

I've never heard of any radio station that has a 1:00am traffic report, though I can believe it...for New York, LA, and Chicago.

It's pretty easy to do when the state has all the sensors in the ground along with timings tied into Inrix; it also fills an easy 30 seconds (WTMJ doesn't air network radio newscasts at the top of the hour, so they fill all six minutes).

KNX 1070 here in LA! "Traffic and Weather together on the 5s."

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/103947/tribune-didnt-make-sense-for-nexstar

Comments from Nexstar: their bid was a desperation move more than anything. They are in no mood to try to steal Tribune from Sinclair if the situation sours (like the Meredith-Media General bid, which in retrospect IMO was a bad deal due to the publishing assets).

They won't be able to swap anything since they are already over the cap even with the UHF discount, so Ripley is dreaming on that one too.

I'd say the six markets where two news operations are affected - Salt Lake City, Seattle, Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg et. al., Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo and Oklahoma City - are the most problematic.

Since Nexstar new owners already own 2 full power stations Wood TV & WOTV. Plus Fox17 is a top 4 TV station I hope DOJ & FCC tell them that they have to sell a lot of stations and not just shell them but I believe that Fox17 will be shelled to one of Sinclair shells.

However he is conservative radio hag that has a show with miniscule viewers on an ABC station that is mostly operated remotely on a small budget that hasn't had a news department in years. The fact it is in a top 25 market and a network afflilate speaks to how poor Sinclair is as managers. Watch this model expanded with the new footprint.

I don't think that's going to be the case. Watch as Sinclair drops him like a hot potato as the ABC affiliation gets transferred to KPLR.

Allman is crying for attention because his main shot at semi-relevance is going to dry up really really soon.

As a conservative, I can say that it's about time that conservatives got more of a prominence in the media. However, this wasn't the way I had in mind. To be fair though, Tribune has always leaned conservative.

If the resistance is that strong, they could drop to 5th place.

A lot of things (like losing/giving up the broadcast rights to the Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks for example) would have to happen for them to fall to 5th overall. While this news isn't the greatest, it's way to early to suggest they are on a death spiral.
Exactly, and besides, hasn't Tribune been a conservative media company for years now?

We'll see ABC11 and the CW 11.2, while Jamie Allman Brother can toil away on the fetid carcass of KDNL under Armstrong Williams "ownership."

Nice work if you can get it.

I don't think that's going to be the case. Watch as Sinclair drops him like a hot potato as the ABC affiliation gets transferred to KPLR.

Allman is crying for attention because his main shot at semi-relevance is going to dry up really really soon.

Maybe not. And besides, the media is too liberal like this site is too liberal (A lot of news reporters on this site, most now seem to think the right is Satan). That, while worring in itself, isn't that big a deal. That is, unless they shove their ideologies down our throats like mainstream right wingers (Fox News anyone) have, which unfortunately, is a much bigger problem now than ever.

And Myron, rejecting right wing ideas, even the reasonable ones, is as bigoted as a right winger rejecting all left-wing ideas regardless of how reasonable any of them are. Both sides have something worthwile, not just the left, and by the way, we should just keep our politics to ourselves regardless of where any of us stand in the political spectrum. It goes for me (I hate bringing up that I'm a conservative on here anyway), and it goes for the rest of you as well (you too Myron)

This is crazy. Some people are planning to cut their subscriptions to the Chicago Tribune because of this Sinclair-Tribune sale.

[MEDIA=twitter]862384967153836032[/MEDIA]

Maybe that damn editorial might've been the reason.

Meanwhile, a former SEC attorney is investigating this transaction.

Former United States Securities and Exchange Commission attorney Willie Briscoe is investigating potential claims against the Board of Directors of Tribune Media Company concerning the sale to Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. Under the terms of the agreement, Tribune shareholders will only receive $35.00 in cash and 0.23 shares of Sinclair Class A common stock for each share owned. Based on the closing price of Sinclair before the deal was announced, the total consideration per share is valued at approximately $43.50 which is virtually no premium over the 52-week high and lower than at least one analyst’s estimated value of $48.00 per share.

___

The investigation centers on whether Tribune’s Board of Directors is acting in the shareholders’ best interests, whether the board considered alternatives to the acquisition, and whether the board has employed an adequate process to review and act on the proposed transaction. Notably, at least one analyst with Yahoo! Finance believes the true inherent value of the stock could be as high as $48.00.

This is crazy. Some people are planning to cut their subscriptions to the Chicago Tribune because of this Sinclair-Tribune sale.

[MEDIA=twitter]862384967153836032[/MEDIA]

Maybe that damn editorial might've been the reason.

It isn't that surprising. WGN and The Tribune have been tied at the hip from the very beginning. Considering that it has only been a couple of years since they separated it's understandable that there would be confusion.

As a conservative, I can say that it's about time that conservatives got more of a prominence in the media. However, this wasn't the way I had in mind. To be fair though, Tribune has always leaned conservative.

The newspaper (Chicago Tribune) has had a conservative viewpoint/approach for years not WGN-TV. If Sinclair decides to implement a conservative agenda/pov on WGN, it will be rejected by viewers. Not because it's a conservative pov, but because viewers here tend to not like opinions (of any kind) within a newscast (i.e..Jerry Springer/WMAQ disaster and pretty much every opinion-based format WFLD has ever tried).

I'm not sure this is the right forum to debate liberal or conservative agendas/pov within the media. What I will say is that newscasts (local ones in particular) shouldn't be used to push anything political.

Probably because he knows he will be replaced by "STL NewsCentral on Fox2, ABC11, and 11Two The CW".

Archived