Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

I apologize if this was brought up already, but WTTV in Indy used to be owned by Sinclair before being being sold to Tribune in roughly 2003ish. So essentially they bought back a previously owned station.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While everyone seems focused on NY, LA and Chicago (and a few other medium market stations), no one has mentioned that Tribune owns some pretty awful major market stations that have been terribly neglected. Tribune stations in DC, Philly, Miami, Dallas and Houston have crickets for viewers, antiquated facilities and very few employees because everything is hubbed to other stations hundreds of miles away. It's hard to imagine any new owner, no matter who it is, could make matters worse for them.

KTLA and KCPQ are made by Hothaus. WTTV/WREG/WTKR and the Fox package are made by a company called 5dotFive. No graphics are hubbed.

But every pixel of stuff like this, this, this, this, and this was all made in house. That's pretty impressive.

Also, the current Eye Opener package is basically the WTKR/WREG/WTTV package.

One question I do have about the Sinclair/Tribune merger regards syndicated programming. Right now, a majority of the Tribune stations carry talk shows such as "Maury" and "Jerry Springer." "Crime Watch Daily" is carried by almost all of Tribune's stations, as well.

Is it possible that shows like "Maury" and "Springer" could be going away once the merger takes hold? Or is there a possibility of Sinclair producing/syndicating programming themselves? (Case in point: Sinclair with "Ring of Honor" pro wrestling, and Scripps with "The List" and "Right This Minute" [the latter in partnership with Raycom and Cox]).

Alpha owns several stations in the suburbs, although I don't think any of them cover Chicago itself.

Those are legacy NextMedia stations. That group was the last major acquisition by Alpha, about 15 months or so ago.

But every pixel of stuff like this, this, this, this, and this was all made in house. That's pretty impressive.

Also, the current Eye Opener package is basically the WTKR/WREG/WTTV package.

Wanna bet WGN's creative services department is what Sinclair craved the most (outside of WGN, KTLA and WPIX)?

Even WJW's homebrew graphics are miles better than the garbage graphics the Fox O&Os are forced to run.

As for the 5dotFive Fox affiliate graphics, those debuted two weeks before Tribune's purchase of LocalTV.

Wanna bet WGN's creative services department is what Sinclair craved the most (outside of WGN, KTLA and WPIX)?

Even WJW's homebrew graphics are miles better than the garbage graphics the Fox O&Os are forced to run.

As for the 5dotFive Fox affiliate graphics, those debuted two weeks before Tribune's purchase of LocalTV.

Yeah, but I lumped those in so no one would get confused.

We had a town hall today, and the Tribune brass spoke in generic terms.

"We all work for our shareholders."

"This will be the greatest local TV company in history."

"It'll be great for reinvestment in new ideas."

"Don't make assumptions too quickly."

re: overlap

"Sinclair ideally wants to keep all the stations. Regulators may not allow it to happen."

Re: jobs

"The best thing we can do is show up every day and kill it."

"The vast majority of you should assume there's a spot for you. But there is overlap in some areas. Whatever role you're in, view this as an opportunity to be the winner, and get that job. Prove you're the one they want."

re: WGN-A

They were cagey on WGN America, saying cable TV strategy changes every two weeks in this business. But the outlook on original cable programming needs to change.

re: Tribune technology

"If we've got the best answers, they'll use them. But you might find out what they're doing is better."

We had a town hall today, and the Tribune brass spoke in generic terms.

"It'll be great for reinvestment in new ideas."

"Don't make assumptions too quickly."

re: overlap

"Sinclair ideally wants to keep all the stations. Regulators may not allow it to happen."

Re: jobs

"The best thing we can do is show up every day and kill it."

"The vast majority of you should assume there's a spot for you. But there is overlap in some areas. Whatever role you're in, view this as an opportunity to be the winner, and get that job. Prove you're the one they want."

re: WGN-A

They were cagey on WGN America, saying cable TV strategy changes every two weeks in this business. But the outlook on original cable programming needs to change.

re: Tribune technology

"If we've got the best answers, they'll use them. But you might find out what they're doing is better."

I don't even work for Tribune and this left me feeling anxious and nervous. A bunch of sunshine pumping and false hope really. Re: "Re: jobs":, that could be summarized as "show up, work hard, don't suck, and you wont be fired"

I don't even work for Tribune and this left me feeling anxious and nervous. A bunch of sunshine pumping and false hope really. Re: "Re: jobs":, that could be summarized as "show up, work hard, don't suck, and you wont be fired"

I've been through several sales, and I've been laid off twice. It's only natural to feel nervous in a state of transition. But we still have a job to do.

While everyone seems focused on NY, LA and Chicago (and a few other medium market stations), no one has mentioned that Tribune owns some pretty awful major market stations that have been terribly neglected. Tribune stations in DC, Philly, Miami, Dallas and Houston have crickets for viewers, antiquated facilities and very few employees because everything is hubbed to other stations hundreds of miles away. It's hard to imagine any new owner, no matter who it is, could make matters worse for them.

I'd expect little to no change at KDAF, WDCW, WSFL, and others. Sinclair's CW affiliates pretty much operate in the same way as Tribune's non-legacy CW affiliates.

Pretty bold of them to admit that out front. The rest of it was standard corporate jargon and BS. The real truth was that this deal was going to give Tribune shareholders the most money and nothing else mattered.

I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this. Just keep doing what you're doing and try to stay as positive as you can.

I'd expect little to no change at KDAF, WDCW, WSFL, and others. Sinclair's CW affiliates pretty much operate in the same way as Tribune's non-legacy CW affiliates.

Just that eyeopener will be forced to carry those "must-run" packages. And possibly some consolidation and having Eyeopener run out of one station.

I don't believe a word they say. They are just telling you that so when Sinclair takes over you all don't run for the hills.

I wonder how the McKinnons in San Diego are taking it now that they know that KUSI won't be the only station in town with right-leaning local news?

The McKinnons have kept a pretty low profile over the past 10 years. They are not really in the top 20 local movers and shakers.

The thing about KUSI is that they tend to present both sides of political stories...much more so then the other local stations. KUSI has also had stability in the newsroom for say 10+years which was unheard of before at that place.

The place is loaded with experience, and is actually a pretty decent place to work at according to the employees I saw standing in the food stamp line .

KUSI is a local right of passage for some...

A few writers and producers get together and rent a house in Tierrasanta or Pacific Beach...work crappy morning shift, but live at the beach and drink all summer....or live in Tierrasanta and finish school...and drink all summer...at the KUSI house in PB..

The McKinnons have kinda mellowed out...nothing sexy to report...

But keep an eye on that Lisa Rimalard,,, that one is smarter then she leads on to be... and she can make those boys cry.

Archived