Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

This is a stretch of an example, but for instance, where would ABC even go in DC, with Sinclair owning WJLA and WDCW?

It wouldn't matter since if the sale were to happen, Sinclair could own both stations since there would be enough remaining voices in the DC market to permit a legal duopoly.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I meant was, if ABC wanted to, for some reason, yank WJLA's affiliation, what would even be a viable alternative? WRC, WTTG, and WDCA would all be out, and TEGNA probably wouldn't sell WUSA...

Hypothetically speaking: What are the chances that if the Dems take control of the House/Senate next year, that they would force these companies to divest? Because this [new] Sinclair would have some monopolistic aspects in some of the smaller markets that don't have that many tv stations--especially when they have a few stations in several markets with multiple affiliations. Not exactly open for competition...

more Dems up for relection tthan Repubs in the senate, though midterms usually aren't good for the president's party, but 20 months is a lifetime in politics and either party could screw up a sure thing, happened last November

What I meant was, if ABC wanted to, for some reason, yank WJLA's affiliation, what would even be a viable alternative? WRC, WTTG, and WDCA would all be out, and TEGNA probably wouldn't sell WUSA...

Probably take the WBTS route and find/buy a bunch of LP/LD stations to make a new O&O, I dunno.

I guess KDNL is barely a top 4 station, probably goes to Dearfield and Alman Report stays on, but does ABC move?

This is a stretch of an example, but for instance, where would ABC even go in DC, with Sinclair owning WJLA and WDCW?

does ABC stay on KDNL in STL or could it move to KPLR?

they haven't yanked KDNL's affiliation

Can we please try to avoid random speculation, ESPECIALLY affiliation switches?

I've seen quite a few companies merge in the past couple years and I don't recall a single time in any of them where a major network affiliation changed as a result.

I really thought this was going to be the opposite. soon Sacramento is going to end up with a Sinclair station again...well at least KTXL can communicate with KRNV/KRXI/KSNV and KTVU. (KRXI Simulcasts KTVU.) but then again this is tribune were talking about. a company that has been the best on their own.

Doesn't Sinclair also already own a seattle station?

Hello, Brian. Yes, they do, and I know that: KOMO 4 ABC and KUNS 51 Univision. Sinclair also owns KOMO Newsradio 1000 AM & 97.7 FM as well as KPLZ Star 101.5 and KVI 570.

Don't forget that Tribune is a participant in the spectrum auction, so some of their 42 stations could go dark before any potential sale. That not only lowers the excess over the current cap, it also lowers the price. Nobody has named stations or cities but people who work for Tribune have theories on who is and isn't on the list.

Can we please try to avoid random speculation, ESPECIALLY affiliation switches?

I've seen quite a few companies merge in the past couple years and I don't recall a single time in any of them where a major network affiliation changed as a result.

Weeters has a point there. I'll try to limit my messages from getting into random speculation in this thread.

Yes they own KOMO, KOMO Radio Networks (3-4 radio stations) and Univision channel. Tribune in Seattle owns Q13 Fox and JoeTV (my tv network).

FOX would probably step in and try to snag Q13FOX and make it an O&O. They've been itching to be put an O&O in Seattle. (sorry for the speculation) I just had to say this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-16/fox-said-mulling-ways-to-thwart-possible-sinclair-tribune-deal

According to this article, Fox may be trying to *block* such a deal, saying that Sinclair may be too powerful among their affiliates (28% of all Fox affiliates). Nexstar may also be interested in Tribune.

I would not be surprised to see Nexstar-Tribune as the eventual endgame.

Sinclair-Tribune could very well be yet another MediaGeneral-Meredith debacle that the Sooks will swoop in with another hostile takeover.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-16/fox-said-mulling-ways-to-thwart-possible-sinclair-tribune-deal

According to this article, Fox may be trying to *block* such a deal, saying that Sinclair may be too powerful among their affiliates (28% of all Fox affiliates). Nexstar may also be interested in Tribune.

For a group that's been jamming "The Most Powerful Name in News" down our throats for years now, that's pretty rich.

Archived