Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

The FCC inspector general is apparently investigating whether the reinstatement of the UHF Discount and the ownership deregulations were done in an improper manner to purposefully benefit Sinclair. This is likely the result of the inquiry of several House and Senate Democrats to investigate the matter that came about just as the FCC planned to vote on the media ownership rule changes this past November.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/technology/fcc-sinclair-ajit-pai.html?action=click&contentCollection=technology&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The FCC inspector general is apparently investigating whether the reinstatement of the UHF Discount and the ownership deregulations were done in an improper manner to purposefully benefit Sinclair. This is likely the result of the inquiry of several House and Senate Democrats to investigate the matter that came about just as the FCC planned to vote on the media ownership rule changes this past November.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/technology/fcc-sinclair-ajit-pai.html?action=click&contentCollection=technology&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

If the reinstatement is indeed such, then the deal is DOA, but surely Sinclair will file endless lawsuits - and probably hope for an even more friendly Congress after November (i.e. 60+ GOP seats in the Senate).

If the reinstatement is indeed such, then the deal is DOA, but surely Sinclair will file endless lawsuits - and probably hope for an even more friendly Congress after November (i.e. 60+ GOP seats in the Senate).

The deal would be DOA if the Discount reinstatement and the television ownership deregs were both deemed to have been done inappropriately in concert with Sinclair's assistance. But if the other ownership rule changes were deemed to be such, but the UHF Discount wasn't, it would result in Sinclair having to make more conflict divestments that it thought it would need to make. The odds of a more friendly Congress might be against them, if the trend of GOP seats flipping blue in districts once considered unwinnable holds tough in the midterms.

Guess this explains why the deal isn't done yet.

I don't think the IG needs to find Pai was improper for this deal to die--all he has to do is drag his feet on the investigation to a point where the two parties call it off.

If the IG finds Pai has been improper, there are possibly FAR reaching consequences beyond Sinclair/Trib. I'm thinking the Net Neutrality overturning could get reversed.

I don't see IG stopping the Sinclair & Tribune merger from happening I believe it's all but a done deal that will be approved it's a long shot that this is a dead deal just my opinion. Fox17 WXMI is a top 4 station if it wasn't I think Media General & Nexstar would have shell WOTV which at the time when LIN TV bought WOTV in fall of 91 had to shell the station LMA. That surprised everyone I think rumors were that WZZM was going to buy WOTV would have just been repeater for WZZM.

Holy shit, WPIX? Getting out of other conflict markets entirely?

Sinclair is only filing to assign all the conflict stations to the trust because it doesn't yet know which stations it will keep.

As for WPIX, although it's being assigned to the trust, I think Sinclair will try something to keep it post-merger.

Definitely a clever way to eff FOX over, but 1) Why in the world would you toss a station in the top media market when getting rid of, say, Philly, has the same effect of getting you under the cap (which is why I suspect it’s in there?) And 2) Does anyone really buy that the “trust” will be run independently?

Some new info tonight.

Sinclair has proposed some overlap stations into a divestiture trust.

The stations that are into this proposed trust are as follows:

• WPIX, KSWB, KCPQ/KZJO, KPLR, WXIN/WTTV, WWMT, WXMI, KPLR, KSTU, KDSM, WHO, WRLH, WTVR, WHP, WPMT, WXLV/WMYV, WGHP, KOKH/KOCB, KFOR/KAUT.

Well, there goes my hope for Sinclair to sell the Tribune Media-owned Seattle duopoly to Fox Television Stations...if that is true.

The comprehensive exhibit of the main transaction has been updated.

Not only they want to divest WPIX & KSWB to comply with the cap, but also WGN-TV!!! KTLA can't join them?

They've also requested to consent to commonly-own top-4 duopolies in Greensboro, Harrisburg & Indianapolis.

So WPIX and WGN would be divested to new owners but not KTLA?

The comprehensive exhibit of the main transaction has been updated.

Not only they want to divest WPIX & KSWB to comply with the cap, but also WGN-TV!!! KTLA can't join them?

They've also requested to consent to commonly-own top-4 duopolies in Greensboro, Harrisburg & Indianapolis.

I would approve the request in Indianapolis as they are well-established and it simply maintains the status quo (besides, the reason they are 3rd and 4th was because then-LIN got greedy and angered CBS). I'd conditionally approve it in Greensboro (must still get rid of one of the stations) and reject in in Harrisburg (they would own 3 of the 5 commercial full-powers and a news operation would be gutted).

They do make a point that Hearst would still be far ahead of Sinclair with both WHP and WPMT combined, but that is because they invested in the station and even overcame a disadvantage (even in the northern part of the market, they are still at worst a close 2nd, and at times the leader).

This is starting to not make sense--in particular tossing WGN.

There are plenty of different ways they can avert the cap without tossing the crown jewels in market 1 and *the* jewel in market 3. Why even bother with this then? Have they just conceded they can't compete in these places because of the politics?

Keeping KTLA makes sense because, I imagine, of the studio space / production arms that come with it.

If WGN is up for grabs (which, again, why?)--yeah, FOX is going to want that (perhaps even more than Q13) and they'll have the money when the Disney deal is done to do it.

This is starting to not make sense--in particular tossing WGN.

There are plenty of different ways they can avert the cap without tossing the crown jewels in market 1 and *the* jewel in market 3. Why even bother with this then? Have they just conceded they can't compete in these places because of the politics?

Keeping KTLA makes sense because, I imagine, of the studio space / production arms that come with it.

If WGN is up for grabs (which, again, why?)--yeah, FOX is going to want that (perhaps even more than Q13) and they'll have the money when the Disney deal is done to do it.

The quickest way out is to get rid of WPHL, KDAF, KIAH, WSFL and WUCW, which are all duopoly bait anyway except for the fact that Sinclair probably wants them for political purposes. That would take care of 80-90% of the cap overage.

Archived