Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

But should the deal go through wouldn't Sinclair have a better chance at tribune stations airing Ring Of Honor aside from just on Charge!?

I imagine the current Tribune stations would have at least a decent shot at airing ROH.

I expect most current Tribune stations to start carrying ROH, Full Measure, etc. at some point early next year

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, he's basically an oversensitive Young Turks subscriber.

F the Young Turks, and Cenk in general. Oh, and a Republican finances their unlistenable/unwatchable BS machine.

Alex Jones is not only a fucking delinquent with his child support, he is a hate-filled, evil animal for his Sandy Hook Hoaxerism. To say nothing of the oft-discredited garbage he pitches as “fact.”

Yeah, I really appreciate being compared to those people.

F the Young Turks, and Cenk in general. Oh, and a Republican finances their unlistenable/unwatchable BS machine.

Alex Jones is not only a fucking delinquent with his child support, he is a hate-filled, evil animal for his Sandy Hook Hoaxerism. To say nothing of the oft-discredited garbage he pitches as “fact.”

Yeah, I really appreciate being compared to those people.

Can’t you just take a joke for once? I just said that because most of the Young Turks’ viewers are oversensitive SJWs. In which they’ll preach anything they say because it speaks against racism and that it usually targets Republicans, especially the Trump Adminsitration. I don’t like The Young Turks and I don’t like Trump as much as you do. But I don’t preach on how awful he is because it’s already been said millions of times by other people.

You basically act sensitive over little posts on a message board about news stations. I’ve seen worse stuff on a typical Youtube comments section. I mean, it’s quite typical to see political supporters hate on one side for a long time now. Making a post about why conservatives are wrong wouldn’t change anything because they wouldn’t take you seriously with that.

As someone who lives in St. Louis, I find this interesting. Because KTVI already has newscasts at these hours. So basically what this tells me is that they will replace The Allman Report on KDNL with actual newscasts.

And if that's the case, then that's pretty pathetic if Sinclair is using examples like these to convince the FCC that they won't half-ass operating these stations although their past says otherwise.

I do agree and I'm not sure Sinclair would be able to do that knowing that Sinclair gutted KDNL's news department in 2001 so essentially they would have to rebuild KDNL's news department from scratch (and as we all know, Sinclair rarely, if ever, builds an in-house news department)

Lemme put my two cents in:

I could care less what WJW airs once they're a Sinclair station. As soon as Boris comes on, I plan on changing the channel, plain and simple. That being said, I'm against this deal because it gives Sinclair unwieldy power against MVPDs and networks. Also, I'm afraid that Sinclair will use the Deerfield, Cunningham, Stirk, and Manhan cards to handle conflicts instead of selling to companies like Gray or Tegna.

This is how I know this is a bullshit response.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/sinclair-fcc-were-priming-divestiture-pump/169159

Here's Sinclair's response to the FCC, apparently they're going to wait and find out from the DOJ (which should come by November or December) which stations they will want to be divested.

Sinclair also sees an opportunity to launch news on its MyNet station, WTVZ-TV, at 10:00pm in the Norfolk market."

Exactly HOW or where or what do they plan on doing that?

First off, there is no Earthly FUCKING way you will get that newsroom at WTKR (which would conceivably be the newsroom to produce for WTVZ as they do for their sister, WGNT) to create another news program. WTKR already produces news from 4:30-9a, a infotainment from 9-10 on one station, then 10-11 on the other, news from 12-12:30, 4-6:30p, 7-8p, 10-10:30p and finally from 11-11:30p. Include that the newsroom at WTKR is STILL a hard third place in the market and is still a turnover-rich environment, and you've got a recipe for a shitshow.

Secondly, as you can see above, WTKR already has a 10pm news show. Are they just going to move that to WTVZ? If so.....why? But even if they decided to create their own new 10pm news broadcast, it'll compete with the more established shows on the competitors (including their own newsroom), and will still lose. Badly. (Known fact: WAVY's 10pm news is the leader, and has beat every competitor in the mornings and at 10pm (including during the FOX43 News era) in the market.

Sinclair is clearly blowing smoke out of their asses on this one. Their best bet would be to sell off WTVZ and keep the Tribune CBS/CW stations.

First off, there is no Earthly FUCKING way you will get that newsroom at WTKR (which would conceivably be the newsroom to produce for WTVZ as they do for their sister, WGNT) to create another news program. WTKR already produces news from 4:30-9a, a infotainment from 9-10 on one station, then 10-11 on the other, news from 12-12:30, 4-6:30p, 7-8p, 10-10:30p and finally from 11-11:30p. Include that the newsroom at WTKR is STILL a hard third place in the market and is still a turnover-rich environment, and you've got a recipe for a shitshow.

Secondly, as you can see above, WTKR already has a 10pm news show. Are they just going to move that to WTVZ? If so.....why? But even if they decided to create their own new 10pm news broadcast, it'll compete with the more established shows on the competitors (including their own newsroom), and will still lose. Badly. (Known fact: WAVY's 10pm news is the leader, and has beat every competitor in the mornings and at 10pm (including during the FOX43 News era) in the market.

Sinclair is clearly blowing smoke out of their asses on this one. Their best bet would be to sell off WTVZ and keep the Tribune CBS/CW stations.

Fun fact, back in 1994, when it was still a Fox affiliate, WTVZ had plans to start it's own 10pm newscast, but was beaten by WGNT's original 10pm newscast from WTKR a year later. 586931288_WTVZpotentialnewscast10-1-1994.thumb.jpg.c2bedee2b0d83f8a1cfea952a0471faf.jpg

1227665569_WTVZpotentialnewscast10-1-1994.thumb.jpg.c3d7fb570890e7c7199bd09baa530918.jpg

It would be cool to see WPIX under Sinclair

Except that WPIX would probably go through difficult meetings, if it was owned by Sinclair. Not one single local news station in New York City is owned by Sinclair, but it's a possibility.

Fun fact, back in 1994, when it was still a Fox affiliate, WTVZ had plans to start it's own 10pm newscast, but was beaten by WGNT's original 10pm newscast from WTKR a year later.

They were better off airing sports updates, especially with the NFL.

Unless they plan on selling WGNT and making a new duo between WTKR and WTVZ, but this is Sinclair we are talking about.

Can’t you just take a joke for once? I just said that because most of the Young Turks’ viewers are oversensitive SJWs. In which they’ll preach anything they say because it speaks against racism and that it usually targets Republicans, especially the Trump Adminsitration. I don’t like The Young Turks and I don’t like Trump as much as you do. But I don’t preach on how awful he is because it’s already been said millions of times by other people.

You basically act sensitive over little posts on a message board about news stations. I’ve seen worse stuff on a typical Youtube comments section. I mean, it’s quite typical to see political supporters hate on one side for a long time now. Making a post about why conservatives are wrong wouldn’t change anything because they wouldn’t take you seriously with that.

Amen, brother.

Unless they plan on selling WGNT and making a new duo between WTKR and WTVZ, but this is Sinclair we are talking about.

But why would they drop the higher rated CW-carrying WGNT for the virtually independent WTVZ carrying the MyNetworkTV "affiliation"...

That would not just be ass backwards from a marketing standpoint, it wouldn't even make financial sense, as all WTVZ has is sydies, reruns and some random sports games on random days. Their commercial spots can't be going for too much...

Well said, Sinclair thinks they can just drop the newscasts on WGNT, and launch another one on WTVZ how in the world can you do something like that (unless you're planning on taking the Fox affiliation on WTVZ)? other than that Sinclair's response is full of promises that I can promise you they probably won't keep here's the Coalition to save Local Media's response to the Sinclair's response to the FCC https://savelocalmedia.com/press/2017/10/06/sinclair-tribune-fails-justification/

OMG! Guess who covered the protesters last weekend? You wouldn't believe it. FOX FORTY-FIVE!

Meanwhile. Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal wrote a letter to Pai, urging him to reject the deal.

And John Legend wrote an op-ed blashing Sinclair, as he still trying to find a network to carry Underground after WGN America cancelled the series earlier this spring.

That was Tribune that cancelled Underground from the new CEO of Tribune Sinclair had nothing to do with it. Don't think the new CEO was into paying big bucks for originals like the former CEO before he left in March was.

That was Tribune that cancelled Underground from the new CEO of Tribune Sinclair had nothing to do with it. Don't think the new CEO was into paying big bucks for originals like the former CEO before he left in March was.

I know that. But that didn't stop Legend for blaming the Heathens of Hunt Valley. That's why he made that op-ed.

I was hoping to hear what Sinclair was going to divest with their letter to the FCC Nexstar did that when they were merging with Media General for the 6 market they had to divest in markets that Nexstar & MG owned in the same market.

It would also have CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. lose a lot of money from one of their most popular TV stations in New York City.

Same for...oh wait, WGN is independent now. so i guess it wouldn't be as bad.

Same for...oh wait, WGN is independent now. so i guess it wouldn't be as bad.

Well it was just be awkward having The CW and WGN being owned by the same company, considering WGN is a Chicago-based station while The CW (WPIX11) is a NYC-based station owned by both CBS and Warner Bros. I can't even imagine how New Yorkers (including myself) would feel if Sinclair actually owned a station like that.

Archived