Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now this has nothing to do with this transaction, but there might be a connection......

Cunningham has bought London Broadcasting's KTXD for $9.5M.

Now why they're using their shell to acquire KTXD? Wouldn't they use Sinclair proper to acquire the second station?

But wait. Sinclair would be 6% over the national ownership after the deal is completed. So I'm not sure if KDAF would be kept or spun-off.

This week, Sinclair has to respond to that FCC letter into how they'll comply to the current ownership rules in regards to this transaction. Could Sinclair be in the process of assigning its non-in-house news produced, big four markets to its shells (like KDAF, KIAH, WSFL and WUCW)? Or could they spin-off its station to a buyer that has no ties to Sinclair. Tegna is in three of those markets.

Whatever they'll do, this would be an interesting week to watch.

What does each of the non-Big 4 stations (KDAF, KIAH, WSFL, WUCW, KRCW and WPHL) count towards as far as the cap is concerned?

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/10/5/exclusive-sinclair-boss-sends-letter-to-tribune-staffers

Now tell us how you are going to comply with the FCC rules, Mr. Ripley.

Rules? What rules? They apply to us, not to Sinclair. Republicans don’t want to follow the rules, remember?

They’ll get every with it, with no divestitures whatsoever. Tripolies? Quadopolies? Paid Off’s only counting the money the Smith KKKlan is sticking under his you-know-what. And nothing — NOTHING — can stop them.

And watch as these stations all morph into an unstoppable fascist mouthpiece promoting the Republican Party endlessly, encouraging animalistic behavior and abuse, destruction and death.

But they are Republicans, so it’s only a matter of how bad the ensuing destruction will be.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/sinclair-fcc-were-priming-divestiture-pump/169159

Here's Sinclair's response to the FCC, apparently they're going to wait and find out from the DOJ (which should come by November or December) which stations they will want to be divested.

While Sinclair is banking on the FCC relaxing it's ownership rules, however Sinclair may have to divest stations even if the FCC were to change the ownership rules, etc. (which A. It has to go through Congress and B. Any changes to ownership rules will not take effect until sometime next year) so in July (according to the FCC's filing) Sinclair employed a company called Moelis & Co., to advise it on potential station sales.

Beyond that, Sinclair sees an opportunity to expand its newscast to 11:00 am, adding an additional two hours. In Washington, D.C., Sinclair plans to expand Tribune’s WDCW’s 7:00pm and 10:00pm newscasts to a full hour from their current half hour runs. In St. Louis, Sinclair plans to expand both morning and evening newscasts, by adding a 4:30am, 6:00pm, and 10:00pm newscast. Sinclair has not yet identified opportunities to expand local newscasts in Chicago or Los Angeles, but intends to explore such opportunities and will look to leverage the strength of those markers. Sinclair also sees an opportunity to launch news on its MyNet station, WTVZ-TV, at 10:00pm in the Norfolk market." and

The FCC had asked how the deal would benefit MVPDs, as Sinclair had claimed. The answer, according to the filing: "Sinclair will be able to invest more money into its programming, to improve its multicasts, and to better target its programming to local markets, thereby providing greater value to MVPDs and their subscribers. Economies of scale make specialized programming possible that would otherwise not be financially feasible. The increased footprint from the Transaction would make it more cost effective for Sinclair to launch more digital networks which are generally provided to MVPDs and their subscribers completely for free." IT also said the deal will likely reduce MVPD's "negotiating costs," but did not elaborate.

The lack of specificity, whatever the reason, is not likely to assuage media consolidation critics who were themselves primed to push back on Sinclair's defense of the deal.

He was reconfirmed. Vote was 52-41 along party lines.

Four Democrats (three Red state, one Purple) voting for doesn't equal "along party lines".

Shame on them and the seven abstainers. Those seven abstainers and some prodding from the DNC would've done a tone of good. I'd hate to lose Democratic senators but those 4 might as well be Republicans now.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/107903

Their plans for the merger and the supposed benefits of it. They still don't wanna tell us which stations they are going to sell but "is prepared to do it if necessary."

The only reason why Sinclair hasn't listed it's stations in which they plan to divest is because they're waiting on the Justice Department's Antitrust Division to complete the review of the merger (which as I've said above, should be done by the end of the year, which means we should see Justice Department approval by November or December) and it would be premature for Sinclair to tell the FCC and the Justice Department which stations they plan to divest and which stations they plan to keep (but either acquire the station outright and shell the other to one of their partner companies)

Bullcrap. FCC asked a specific question. They dodged. And it has been done before. When Nexstar/MG merged, they had a list of most of the stations they would diverst and the proposed buyers assuming the merger was consummated. This is a stall tactic in hope the FCC changes ownership rules. Thing is, that won't be a quick decision, nor should it be. By the end of the year, when the merger is approved, they will still be above the maximum in terms of reach, and have 10 markets where stations need to be divested (which probably will not get them under the cap). If I was the FCC, I would not be too happy in Sinclair's response. I guess more money will need to flow from the Smith family to Pai(d) off.

Bullcrap. FCC asked a specific question. They dodged. And it has been done before. When Nexstar/MG merged, they had a list of most of the stations they would diverst and the proposed buyers assuming the merger was consummated. This is a stall tactic in hope the FCC changes ownership rules. Thing is, that won't be a quick decision, nor should it be. By the end of the year, when the merger is approved, they will still be above the maximum in terms of reach, and have 10 markets where stations need to be divested (which probably will not get them under the cap). If I was the FCC, I would not be too happy in Sinclair's response. I guess more money will need to flow from the Smith family to Pai(d) off.

Honestly, if I was the FCC on that response, I would reject the deal on their shady tactics and inability to cooperate alone. I know with Nexstar/MG they cooperated very well.

The only reason why Sinclair hasn't listed it's stations in which they plan to divest is because they're waiting on the Justice Department's Antitrust Division to complete the review of the merger (which as I've said above, should be done by the end of the year, which means we should see Justice Department approval by November or December) and it would be premature for Sinclair to tell the FCC and the Justice Department which stations they plan to divest and which stations they plan to keep (but either acquire the station outright and shell the other to one of their partner companies)

seems like every post you make has the same point that sinclair needs to get rid of stations because they are over the cap... we get it... calm down...

of course they are stalling.... of course the FCC will let them get away with it.... if you thought otherwise you are not paying close attention...

So let me ask you this question, why could Nexstar/Media General listed the stations they would divest to and which group they would divest those to but yet Sinclair-Tribune says "we can't list those stations in which they'll divest until after the Justice Department gives us the stations that we need to divest to?"

I think Sinclair-Tribune is playing the same games Gannett-Belo did in St. Louis, Gannett thought they could get away with having Sander operate KMOV under a sharing agreement well turns out the Justice Department to Gannett "you need to divest either KSDK or KMOV" why am I bringing this up? Because Sinclair and Tribune is playing the same games that Gannett and Belo tried to play except they're doing that in 10 MARKETS! That tatic will not fly with the Justice Department I can promise you that.

seems like every post you make has the same point that sinclair needs to get rid of stations because they are over the cap... we get it... calm down...

of course they are stalling.... of course the FCC will let them get away with it.... if you thought otherwise you are not paying close attention...

I didn't list the stations that needed to divest I was saying what Sinclair said in the FCC filing

Sinclair will get everything they want, and you can't do anything about it.

Rules don't matter when filthy criminals like Paid Off, the Smith Clan and any/all elected Republicans rule the land.

Rules don't matter when filthy criminals like Paid Off, the Smith Clan and any/all elected Republicans rule the land.

It’s quite repetitive on how you say that stuff. Literally saying that Republicans are pure evil wouldn’t solve anything. It would just make it even worse. Especially when you get sensitive over somebody who just had non-threatening opinions on Trump.

That makes me hope that--in my honest opinon--21st Century Fox would buy out Seattle's KCPQ and KZJO with or without the option of buying out the Tribune Media-owned station in St. Louis, Salt Lake City, and Winston-Salem. Just saying. Sorry for the speculations; I am doing what I can to avoid speculating at all costs.

What are you, a liberal Alex Jones?

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/sinclair-fcc-were-priming-divestiture-pump/169159

In St. Louis, Sinclair plans to expand both morning and evening newscasts, by adding a 4:30am, 6:00pm, and 10:00pm newscast.

As someone who lives in St. Louis, I find this interesting. Because KTVI already has newscasts at these hours. So basically what this tells me is that they will replace The Allman Report on KDNL with actual newscasts.

And if that's the case, then that's pretty pathetic if Sinclair is using examples like these to convince the FCC that they won't half-ass operating these stations although their past says otherwise.

Archived