Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Sinclair has choppers for WSYX and KSNV. WGN isn't crashing its bird.

I'm just going to bite my tongue, be a polite young man, and not mention the fact that that actually happened a few times before.

Oops.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just going to bite my tongue, be a polite young man, and not mention the fact that that actually happened a few times before.

Oops.

My apologies for using such insensitive language.

http://sbgi.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SBG-Trib-Final.pdf

Full press release. No mention at all was made of the fact that this deal, even with the UHF discount, still blows past the cap. The discount-adjusted reach will be 45.1% based on my calculations. They do admit that divestitures will be necessary in at least some conflict markets if the rules are not changed by Congress (I think 6 of the 14 markets are flagged as big trouble, 7 of them they could probably get away with and one - Washington DC - is no issue as WJLA and WDCW can legally form a duopoly). Still, to get down to 39% without touching the big market stations, they would have to either unload basically every other Tribune station being acquired, or sell some of their existing assets.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/sinclair-inks-deal-buy-tribune-39b/165584#.WRDRvkpSL90.twitter

Ripley is delusional if he thinks he can swap (as I previously mentioned) to ease the issue and expand the reach even more. Adding more assets in more markets will only put them even farther over the cap.

My apologies for using such insensitive language.

Nah, you're fine. I'm a little bummed about the deal, so I was doing some research on the stations' histories, and that just came up.

Carry on.

That means one lower court ruling anywhere could kill the whole deal.

Someone would have to file an injunction against the discount first, and have good standing to suggest that the rulemaking was not done with proper protocol. Remember that Ion Media Networks and TBN actually led an appeal filing to overturn the repeal of the UHF discount when the Democratic commissioner majority under Pai's predecessor Tom Wheeler (whose efforts to curb consolidation were done in good faith, but had many flaws that allowed Sinclair and Gray to game the loopholes in his rulemaking) passed it more than a year ago, citing it as among the rulemakings designed to curb station ownership consolidation that were done outside of the overall media ownership review.

And CalItalian2 is right, unfortunately, were stuck with Ajit Pai as FCC Commissioner, unless the Democratic Party is able to win the Presidency in 2020, and he did like Wheeler and resigned from his post before the new administration takes office; that, or his nomination for a new five-year term once his current FCC board term expires next month is not agreed upon, though Trump might appoint someone with similar pro-consolidation viewpoints if that happened. The FCC Chairperson is a Presidential appointee, and faces the same Congressional review for his or her approval to the post.

Given Pai's shilling for big media (he was formerly a lobbyist and executive for Verizon), the only way to rectify the issues he'll create through media consolidation is for the Democratic Presidential nominee to take a populist bend that includes appointing a Craig Aaron type, who will try to de-centralize the corporate media apparatus that has gotten increasingly worse through the past three (going into its fourth) Presidential administrations.

A few months after Sinclair takes over KTLA, many viewers will be moving to KTTV for 10 o'clock news

If they go full speed ahead with pushing a right-wing agenda on KTLA, WGN, and WPIX, and if it becomes very obvious on these stations to the point that a lot of viewers notice (or if certain anchors either get let go or leave on their own), then I think they may see some losses in viewers, but they'll have a lot of fans in the hardline conservatives that still live in those metro areas. But then I like to think that with those three, they'll not be as obvious with their political slants and will end up easing into it slowly instead, because they're all still in markets that are deeply blue politically, I can't imagine that they'll actually think most people in those markets would be willing to regularly sit and watch stuff that has more obvious conservative leanings and opinions.

What a shame. KTVI has made huge gains as the quality of both KMOV and KSDK have suffered. I'm sure Sinclair will piss that all away because the only thing they seem to be good at is showing reruns of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

But as others have pointed out, this means we are one step closer to its debt-riddled demise. You'd think they'd be paying attention to iHeartMedia and seeing the consequences of buying every station in sight.

no Bozo revival on WGN, unless Mark Hyman would count[/

If that happened, he'd be saying things like "LOL" and using a smartphone. He'd also be woke.

I still remember The Bozo Super Sunday Show. Man, was that great to watch Sunday mornings as a kid.

But as others have pointed out, this means we are one step closer to its debt-riddled demise. You'd think they'd be paying attention to iHeartMedia and seeing the consequences of buying every station in sight.

The Republicans will bail them out, and the Smith clan can depart with insane golden parachutes. So what do they care?

Speaking of which, are they even IN any debt?

The Republicans will bail them out, and the Smith clan can depart with insane golden parachutes. So what do they care?

Speaking of which, are they even IN any debt?

If they aren't already, they will be after this. They're assuming $2 billion of Tribune's debt. They almost went bankrupt once. Like MrTraveler and others said, you'd think they'd learn, not only from iHeartMedia but also their own past mistakes.

If they go full speed ahead with pushing a right-wing agenda on KTLA, WGN, and WPIX, and if it becomes very obvious on these stations to the point that a lot of viewers notice (or if certain anchors either get let go or leave on their own), then I think they may see some losses in viewers, but they'll have a lot of fans in the hardline conservatives that still live in those metro areas. But then I like to think that with those three, they'll not be as obvious with their political slants and will end up easing into it slowly instead, because they're all still in markets that are deeply blue politically, I can't imagine that they'll actually think most people in those markets would be willing to regularly sit and watch stuff that has more obvious conservative leanings and opinions.

Even if they slowly ease into the political and/or opinion stuff, the second people get a hint of it, they will tune out. Plus, who knows what any of these stations will look like once the cuts start. I'm more upset about WGN America. First, 'Outsiders' get canned and now 'Underground' is done for too. No more original programming. A sad day indeed...

Even if they slowly ease into the political and/or opinion stuff, the second people get a hint of it, they will tune out. Plus, who knows what any of these stations will look like once the cuts start. I'm more upset about WGN America. First, 'Outsiders' get canned and now 'Underground' is done for too. No more original programming. A sad day indeed...

They have said WGNA will carry "cost effective" original programming. In other words, reality programming and the like.

I've been quite about this all day. I live in the Cleveland market and just thinking Sinclair on WJW just doesn't seem right. But I'm not going to overreact right now.

If they aren't already, they will be after this. They're assuming $2 billion of Tribune's debt. They almost went bankrupt once. Like MrTraveler and others said, you'd think they'd learn, not only from iHeartMedia but also their own past mistakes.

Sinclairbune will only face significant issues if their debt increases significantly in the same time period. According to their balance sheet, Sinclair ended the 2016 CY with $5.3B in debt, but with $5.9B in assets. Assuming these figures held relatively true during Q1 of this year, grabbing even a portion of Tribune's $9.4B of assets and assuming the $2B of debt will leave them in a financially decent position. Add in that the next 4-8 years will probably result in more record political ad dollars, starting with the midterms of 2018, Sinclaribune will be fine, unless they either start taking on more debt, or buy up another company with debt financing.

BLUF: Sinclabune is going to financially be secure unless they take the Nexstar route and start financing their purchases.

Sinclair has choppers for WSYX and KSNV. WGN isn't crashing its bird.

I think KOMO still has their helicopter.

Very curious to see what will happen in Seattle.

I've been quite about this all day. I live in the Cleveland market and just thinking Sinclair on WJW just doesn't seem right. But I'm not going to overreact right now.

Could WKYC, WEWS, and WOIO benefit from the Sinclair takeover and even try to poach staff from WJW?

Archived