KOVR Sacramento on a Temp Set?

RCA TK47

I caught the last ten minutes of the 5pm show tonight (3/4/2017) and it looked like they were broadcasting from in front of a wall of monitors that were put together to make a small temp set. Hopefully they are getting something new. They've pretty much had the same set with a few tweaks since 2005 when CBS bought the station from Sinclair. KOVR has a big newsroom/studio combo layout that would look really sharp if it's designed right.

Makes me wonder if CBS is starting to roll out a new look opting out of standardized sets since most of them have the FX Spaceship bubble looking desk. (KPIX, KOVR, WBBM, WCBS) [KTVT but more square like]

'JZ could maybe sprinkle some Old Bay on that set to spice it up...

My public high school actually had huge containers in their condiments table that served Old Bay. I just saw the other day that there were Old Bay flavored cheese balls/puffs and I wanted to puke.

You know that the Sinclair HQ is half a block away from the manufacturing plant of Old Bay and the rest of the McCormack spices? I live five miles by air from it and let me tell you the odor travels far.

Throwing this out here too... Just got done watching KCRA 3 and it looks like they've done some lighting tweaks, possibly changed out some light fixtures in the past few weeks or so. The lighting and set used to have a warm colorful look to it, now it looks stark and harsh with overly light blue tones; like overly bright LED fixtures or something are installed. Not flattering to the anchors or set at all.

• 1 month later...

Went looking to see if there's been any progress on this since their newsroom camera looks towards the studio. Sure enough, it looks like set construction has spilled into the newsroom.

(about 50 seconds in)

FIRST on TVNT. Got a hot tip that the new set made an appearance in a promo, and sure enough...

(towards the end)

Looks like the KCBS set.

Oh what a pipe dream it would be for WJZ to ever get something like this.

Oh what a pipe dream it would be for WJZ to ever get something like this.

the set debut today... screenshots below:

[GALLERY=media, 1003]KOVR 2017 Home Base by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:22 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1002]KOVR 2017 Reporter in Wall by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:20 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1001]KOVR 2017 Anchor CU by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:20 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1000]KOVR 2017 WX Standup by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:20 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 999]KOVR 2017 Wide by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:20 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 998]KOVR 2017 Desk 3 Shot WX by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:20 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 997]KOVR 2017 Standup Toss by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 996]KOVR 2017 Standup by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 995]KOVR 2017 Standup Anchors by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 994]KOVR 2017 Homebase Monitor Wedge by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 993]KOVR 2017 Weather Wall by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 992]KOVR 2017 Weather Wall Presenter by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 991]KOVR 2017 Weather Toss by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 990]KOVR 2017 Desk 3 Shot Left by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 989]KOVR 2017 Left Monitor Wall by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 988]KOVR 2017 Weather Standup at Desk by Webovision posted May 2, 2017 at 3:16 AM[/GALLERY]

it appears weather is being done in front of a big light box made to look like monitors when they key out the green... weird...

definitely an improvement over the old set... too bad it's not as big as the KCBS set...

expect to see more like this.....

I love the newsdesk design. That and the WBZ newsdesk should be pushed out to all the stations. However, I think for a copy-cat this is more of a carbon copy and I think they did good with designing it to their liking. Not to KCBS but not too KPIX.

Best set in the market. Wish they could have done seamless screens like KGO did, but love the shot of the anchors throwing to the reporter on the big screen.

I've noticed with KGO their backdrop feed is stretched so it's not as sharp and you see some fuzziness

Looks good. I like the portion that leads into the newsroom, although they need paint the newsroom light blue because that puke red/brown wall looks awful behind the frosted plexi.

Archived