TV video "Courtesy" credits

panewswatcher69

What are the guidelines on determining the on-air courtesy credit for other TV videos? For example - videos from dick clark productions, johnny carson productions, the academy awards have the on-air courtesy credit throughout the entire video on an additional tv outlet. I've noticed this for years but have never heard an explanation as well as not being covered in the TV courses I took in college. Thank you.

I think it's mostly the demands of the event organizer when they permit the video to be used for news/file purposes.

Yeah. The IOC is particularly strict. Not only do they have to credit "NBC Olympics" throughout the clip, there are strict limits on clip lengths. ESPN can't even show highlights, basically.

Yeah. The IOC is particularly strict. Not only do they have to credit "NBC Olympics" throughout the clip, there are strict limits on clip lengths. ESPN can't even show highlights, basically.

It gets especially hairy for time shifted events. ESPN can report the results with photo-pool provided still images, and can't use any video until after it has been aired in the US on NBC.

If you own the content and others want to use it, you can make whatever courtesy demands you like.

In my experience, the Olympics have been so tough to report because you're not only limited to two minutes per day, but you can't air the video until NBC coverage has ended for the day, which is always later than the last newscast anyway.

For sports events typically the league and host broadcasters will circulate a document around the stations detailing how exactly their clips should be used.

If it's not required it could also just be plain old manners - would you want another organization to take / broadcast your content without their permission?

CNN affiliates can use clips of the Oscars through Sunday, March 5. They are allowed to use up to three minutes of clips in newscasts on Monday and only up to one minute from today through Sunday. Affiliates are required to include the courtesy, but it's "pre-fonted" (meaning it's burned into the video) in all the clips on CNN's server anyway. That's more or less typical of these major television events. Most of the primary debates were only allowed up to three minutes in each newscast last year too.

For the regular day-to-day stuff, typically the wire service will list the courtesy in the description (i.e. callsign/network of origin), but 90% of all media outlets usually don't really bother to display it when they use it. CNN (the channel, not the wire service) is actually one of the best at always giving credit to where video comes from.

For sports events typically the league and host broadcasters will circulate a document around the stations detailing how exactly their clips should be used.

Like March Madness, for example (CBS/Turner Sports/NCAA has an exclusivity on it)?

Outside of big events or TV show clips, it's usually up to the news producer.

Here's something they won't teach you in school: "Courtesy: YouTube" or "Courtesy: Twitter" are NOT acceptable attribution. Unless it's coming from the company directly. It drives me nuts when I see this. Both sites explicitly mention not to do this in their media guides.

At my station, if we have permission from a person to show their pic/video, then we put a credit to them in the corner. If we don't have permission and still want/need to use the photo/video, we "modify" the media by putting it on on top of a branded background of whatever social media it came from. Station policy.

Here's something they won't teach you in school: "Courtesy: YouTube" or "Courtesy: Twitter" are NOT acceptable attribution. Unless it's coming from the company directly. It drives me nuts when I see this. Both sites explicitly mention not to do this in their media guides.

At one station where I worked, it was *station policy* that not only we could we rip anything off YouTube without asking for permission from the uploader, but that we also didn't need to give any sort of credit to it. The argument was that "if it's online, it's fair game." What a bright group of managers that was. At least it made it really easy to find file video for the most random things.

At one station where I worked, it was *station policy* that not only we could we rip anything off YouTube without asking for permission from the uploader, but that we also didn't need to give any sort of credit to it. The argument was that "if it's online, it's fair game." What a bright group of managers that was. At least it made it really easy to find file video for the most random things.

KNSD in San Diego used to pull that crap. They would just credit youtube for all all kinds of stuff. They straightened up when Universal and Comcast wised up.

Archived