WTOL - Toledo

DirtyHarry

I've watched the last couple of nights of news on WTOL. I like their set -- they do a real nice job lighting up the ledger stone, much better than most stations, and Jerry Anderson is a real pro. He has a great voice and the kind of narration that can bring a story to life. He is one of the better anchors I've seen these days just in terms of "broadcast" delivery. IMO, he's comparable to Nick Clooney and Doug Adair and some of the big market greats in terms of being able to keep your interest.

TV stations should pay more attention to voices. Especially in anchor positions. The Hispanic chick next to him grates on my ears. Really b-wordy voice.

Jerry Anderson almost seems too good to be an anchor in Toledo. Is he part of the Anderson family (as in The Andersons Co.) and that's why he's still in Toledo? Or no relation?

Good use of the video wall, too. Nice, expansive shot.

Jerry Anderson almost seems too good to be an anchor in Toledo. Is he part of the Anderson family (as in The Andersons Co.) and that's why he's still in Toledo?

The story of Jerry and the Little boy still brings tears to many Toledodians.

A long time ago Jerry was just a lowly reporter when the assignment desk gave Jerry a story about a child suffering from common roots sickness, and was going to die at any moment. The child had contacted the Make A Wish Foundation. His last wish was to meet WNBC's Sue Simmons....but she was unavailable to travel to Toledo so they found (asked) Jerry to sub..

Jerry raced to the hospice, but he was too late.

The little boy had died....but a had some last words....

"Jerry...Never leave Toledo (gasp, cough, cough)...never...."

The person that wrote it down didn't speak English real well, so the boy could could have said

"Never Live in Toledo"...while it's true the child really was from Akron..

So Jerry kept his word....Sue Simmons became rich and famous...

Moral: Sucks to be nice.

So Jerry kept his word....Sue Simmons became rich and famous...

Moral: Sucks to be nice.

If Jerry is part of the Anderson clan, I guarantee that his portion of the trust fund is worth more money than Sue Simmons will ever see. They are closing their retail stores, but the rest of the company makes a lot of money.

http://www.andersonsstore.com/

Looooong time lurker here. But you piqued my interest when bringing up my home market.

Jerry is from Wood County (the county south of Toledo) and has spent his entire career in Toledo, and started in radio, hence the voice. I don't think he is related to "those" Andersons. Diane Larson from WTVG is another one that could've made it in a larger market. Diane and Jerry were paired together until Jerry left for WTOL in 1994.

WTOL is in a bit of an anchor transition after Emilie Voss left. (A little Google research reveals her true reason for leaving.) But the station has improved tremendously since poaching WTVG's assistant ND and ditching the "Toledo News Now" brand. I'm hoping they replace Voss with someone from inside the market (WTVG has several options) or someone who would be "impressive" coming from a larger market. But that's wishful thinking. The previous ND made some really questionable hires. (Amanda Fay isn't cut out to anchor much of anything, IMO.)

I've watched the last couple of nights of news on WTOL. I like their set -- they do a real nice job lighting up the ledger stone, much better than most stations, and Jerry Anderson is a real pro. He has a great voice and the kind of narration that can bring a story to life. He is one of the better anchors I've seen these days just in terms of "broadcast" delivery. IMO, he's comparable to Nick Clooney and Doug Adair and some of the big market greats in terms of being able to keep your interest.

TV stations should pay more attention to voices. Especially in anchor positions. The Hispanic chick next to him grates on my ears. Really b-wordy voice.

Jerry Anderson almost seems too good to be an anchor in Toledo. Is he part of the Anderson family (as in The Andersons Co.) and that's why he's still in Toledo? Or no relation?

I was in Toledo a couple of times a couple of years ago, ironically to work on a project at The Andersons. I don't believe Jerry is a part of that family, but he is a native of the area. Jerry is a very good anchor.

http://www.wtol.com/story/50393/jerry-anderson

Archived