WALA Rebrand / New Graphics

tyrannical bastard

I"m hoping it's a work in progress thus far. Like the prior look, the lower thirds have the font squished vertically but a bolder variant is used for the top line.

They kept the same font family "Gotham" from the prior look and are using a package that looks like a cross between the WNCN/WSLS look (which WKRG's sister station WFNA actually uses for their newscast!) and Tribune's WXMI/WXIN look.

But given the animation quality, it's VERY Nexstar-ish in look and feel.

Then there's the set which hasn't been touched.....yet. I'm hoping it's in the works if it's not already. Can a set be swapped out in less than 12 hours? (at least with Duratranses and panels)

The old logo is plastered EVERYWHERE. Even though it was a joint FX/Giant Octopus job, the two never matched too well to begin with.

I don't like the open, especially the cut of music.

It's a Saturday night, so it's probably a "trial run" to work the bugs out before the big show tomorrow night after the Super Bowl. And they have two more hours in the AM to work with...

The Fox O&O theme would have fit in much better than This is Home. Hell, i wouldn't have been surprised if they got the whole O&O graphics package, since Meredith likes copying the network O&O styles.

The Fox O&O theme is an abomination and dated really quickly.

It looks like 9pm was the debut. Scrolling back on the Livestream feed shows that the morning show from today had the old look.

For some reason, it seems that Meredith hasn't made their FOX stations O&O like as opposed to their CBS affiliates.

The ball is in WALA's court now that Sinclair and Nexstar are their only competition. But they will probably coast their way to the top as always by putting out a sub-par product.

The main anchors are anchoring tonight. New graphics but the same old set. Here's hoping it's next to go.

New promos are starting to hit the air with the new look.

I'm surprised they dumped the time and temp bug from their graphics.

EDIT: It looks like they hacked up one halfway through the AM show. Basically a blue line below the bug with the time and temp. Formatting looked a little off.

I have some screenshots from yesterday that I will try and upload later today.

That is probably the most atrocious cut of TiH they could use. It doesn't align at all with the flow of either the VO intro or the graphics open.

Meh.

EDIT: That open sounds customized over what Gannettegna has...

The package is kind of a jumbled mess, with the regular variant and the "breaking news" stuff. A lot of that is there has been escaped fugitives on the loose which have thrust the latter into action.

Looking at it more, I see traces of WIAT CBS News 42 (or whatever they call themselves) and a little Scripps in there with their teases. It's like an unholy mix of all of these station groups into ONE package.

Agree with Tyrannical that I HOPE that these are kinks to be worked out and that their promo dept revisits their new stuff and does some tweaks....

So far, seems like they're using their music like they did with the Right Here Right Now package.... running the same freaking cut. Agree with others that the intro music doesn't work with the graphics and sure as to heck doesn't work using the same cut as the pre-tease open music. Too much musical flair under the tease video and sounds lazy when it goes into the vamp, then essentially repeats with the open.... The open appears to have an alpha channel end reveal, so there shouldn't be any reason for a key to white, especially for 4 or 5 seconds. Shorten the dang music! Either you do an alpha reveal to the set from the graphics or create the graphics to hold for 30 seconds with the end title and mix to the set when feasible.. Do a freakin' camera push in. Something! The white flash is trite and 80's. YUCK!

Now, I just hope the audio system will nicely part ways with the old music. The system seems bent on holding onto its comfortable "one cut" flame and not letting it go gently into that good night.

To be honest, This is Home could've been a smart choice if you look into it.

Gannet did own the station in the 80's (but they had to sell as Gannet owned the Pensacola News Journal), and since Gannet/Tegna uses This is Home as its main package, why not go back in time?

To be honest, This is Home could've been a smart choice if you look into it.

Gannet did own the station in the 80's (but they had to sell as Gannet owned the Pensacola News Journal), and since Gannet/Tegna uses This is Home as its main package, why not go back in time?

It is my understanding that Gannett's ownership of WALA only lasted for ONE DAY back in 1986. Universal (WALA's owner) merged with Gannett, which forced the sale of WALA and several other stations. Knight-Ridder was the next owner, then sold out their broadcast division to different buyers in 1989. Burnham got WALA.

Fast forward to now and Meredith owns WALA because Media General decided to keep WKRG (and acquire WFNA) when they merged with LIN. Had the Meredith-Media General deal had gone through as originally envisioned, the same scenerio would have have to been repeated.

• 1 month later...

WALA has finally updated their set with the new look.

Looks like they put a monitor on the desk with the "FOX10" logo on it and replaced most of the old panels that had the old look on them.

They also FINALLY made a morning version of the open. Same look, but daytime shots in place of the nighttime ones.

Before:

upload_2017-3-17_21-47-46.png.92963c3b564ea1a56fca752874fd8bc4.png

After:

upload_2017-3-17_21-49-13.png.0f4aead5c348bfb174d5d3db5af374f6.png

Archived