New Fox Sports graphics (2017 Edition?)

Viper550

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if baseball will switch to the new graphics this weekend. FS1 has Cardinals-Giants this Saturday.

Doubtful. All the FSN production trucks are setup with the old graphics. Maybe they'll switch in time for the playoffs since those telecasts use the FOX NFL production trucks.

Doubtful. All the FSN production trucks are setup with the old graphics. Maybe they'll switch in time for the playoffs since those telecasts use the FOX NFL production trucks.

Oh, they use the NFL trucks? Is that a new development? I seem to recall that under the previous graphics package 2011-2013, they were using FSN production trucks. I remember thinking how horrible all of the frozen-still graphics looked for an event so big as the World Series.

Oh, they use the NFL trucks? Is that a new development? I seem to recall that under the previous graphics package 2011-2013, they were using FSN production trucks. I remember thinking how horrible all of the frozen-still graphics looked for an event so big as the World Series.

In previous years, I recall reading that they would use the NFL on FOX production trucks. During last year's World Series, they parked an NEP production truck in Chicago and a couple of Game Creek's trucks in Cleveland.

Basically, what ever setup they use for the All-Star game is what they'll use for the World Series, but they'll add a few more toys.

I'm going to go against some of the opinions here.

I love it.

It's simple. It's easy to read. It's bold. It reminds me a bit of an old ABC sports graphics package I really loved from 1993, with bold Franklin Gothic fonts and all.

I don't know how well it'll work with Cleatus the robot (the fact that they named the Fox sports football robot makes me want to smash my head against a wall), but it's a great evolution of their look.

One interesting thing...the demo graphics that were leaked here prior to Sunday's debut showed the Fox College Football logo in 2D.

During the NFL on Fox Preseason telecasts on Sunday, the NFL on Fox logo was still glossy and 3D.

I wonder if they're gonna keep the logo in 3D for the regular season, or if they're going to flatten it out to match the rest of the graphics.

With all hands on deck at Fox for the first Saturday of college football season, FS1 is outright simulating Cardinals @ Giants from the FS Midwest feed. Although they replaced any mentions of FS Midwest with FS1 logos, all of the in-game sponsorships are still local to St. Louis (ex: Mid-America Chevy Dealers, visit STLchevy.com).

They're broadcasting local ads to the nation because Fox couldn't even be bothered to send its own crew to produce the game, further perpetuating the "no one cares about baseball" stigma. It's so second-fiddle to football in Fox and ESPN's concerns.

With all hands on deck at Fox for the first Saturday of college football season, FS1 is outright simulating Cardinals @ Giants from the FS Midwest feed. Although they replaced any mentions of FS Midwest with FS1 logos, all of the in-game sponsorships are still local to St. Louis (ex: Mid-America Chevy Dealers, visit STLchevy.com).

They're broadcasting local ads to the nation because Fox couldn't even be bothered to send its own crew to produce the game, further perpetuating the "no one cares about baseball" stigma. It's so second-fiddle to football in Fox and ESPN's concerns.

They've done this in the past before--not often.

I do believe that the FSN regional crew does the FS1/FOX telecasts--or the home team broadcast crew if the team is not affiliated with FSN. In this case, I think they probably have someone manning the separate FS1 feed.

Had the Giants/Cards been playing in St.Louis, then FS Midwest would probably have had extra bodies to produce a separate telecast for FS1.

FS1 also broadcasted Cubs-Cardinals earlier this season using FS Midwest crew and production as well. I was wondering why STL businesses were getting advertised on a "national" broadcast. Just pure laziness on Fox's part on that front.

I mean, to play devil's advocate to my own point, MLB Network airs local telecasts all the time, BUT MLB Network doesn't make any pretense about them being their own telecasts. FS1 is inserting their own logo into the telecast to make it seem like their own telecast, yet all of the local ads and commentary remain.

Also, MLB Network nationally televises like 10 local telecasts per week, so they have an excuse for not producing them on their own.

It's funny cause NBC came up with a clever way to produce a bunch of games in the first round of this year's Stanley Cup playoffs in markets where they had an RSN. They sent their announcers and a small production crew to the site and set up shop in the RSN's truck/production booth. They managed to produce a separate national broadcast out of the same facility with mostly the same production crew.

SVG had a great write up on how this was done and FOX should take notes:

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/04/11/nbc-sports-rsns-unlock-new-stanley-cup-production-synergies-with-side-by-side-telecasts/

It's funny cause NBC came up with a clever way to produce a bunch of games in the first round of this year's Stanley Cup playoffs in markets where they had an RSN. They sent their announcers and a small production crew to the site and set up shop in the RSN's truck/production booth. They managed to produce a separate national broadcast out of the same facility with mostly the same production crew.

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2017/04/11/nbc-sports-rsns-unlock-new-stanley-cup-production-synergies-with-side-by-side-telecasts/

They've done that in the past. The issue lies with the fact that FOX doesn't want to pay for extra employees to work a telecast.

About a year back, there was an employee of FOX Sports San Diego that gave some behind-the-scenes info on how those FOX telecasts were manned. Basically for FOX Saturday MLB, the network will contact the home RSN and request an X-amount of employees to work the game. Whoever volunteers, works. What this employee said was that FOX was offering less $$ per day than what the home team RSN would normally pay them/day.

Do we know if they were able to do this with any RSN, or just the CSN/NBC RSNs?

Do we know if they were able to do this with any RSN, or just the CSN/NBC RSNs?

It's just with the NBC RSNs. The article mentioned that Pittsburgh and Boston were shut out of that this year being that they are on AT&T and NESN. I don't remember exactly how they handled that nationally. They may have simulcasted Sportsnet's (CA) broadcasts.

FS1 also broadcasted Cubs-Cardinals earlier this season using FS Midwest crew and production as well. I was wondering why STL businesses were getting advertised on a "national" broadcast. Just pure laziness on Fox's part on that front.

If you were to watch FSMW, the only idea you'd have of the difference is Dan McLaughlin namechecking "FS1 and Fox Sports Midwest" going to breaks.

If you were to watch FSMW, the only idea you'd have of the difference is Dan McLaughlin namechecking "FS1 and Fox Sports Midwest" going to breaks.

I could only stand to listen/watch for one-half inning as I realized that McCarver was doing color commentary. *click*...

Not sure if tonight's the first night for this or if it's been going on for a few days but the new look as made it's way (somewhat) to the regionals. While the in-game graphics and score bugs are the same, the FSNs have the new ticker now, with no logo in the corner where the FS1/FS2 logo would go, not unusual. The regionals also got slightly different logo bugs as well. For MLB/NBA/NHL/MLS/WNBA, the regional bug now slides in and they're now using the FOX Sports "flat" two-color logo instead of the slightly more "3D" version and the blue border around the whole bug was removed.

2024494063_ScreenShot2017-09-07at7_04_37PM.png.b36fcd686f7e7b0abbf81dd4427118fb.png

The non-event bug (for normal "national" programming not related to a pro team) is simply the FOX Sports two-color logo with no regional identifier. Not sure whether or not that's the intention or if it's just because national programming is airing on FS South right now and more "regional" programming like ACC Football or a locally-produced magazine or outdoor show will have both the Fox Sports logo and the regional identifier with it.

EDIT: Looks like the simple FOX Sports logo is indeed the regular regional logo. Sidenote: "Tri-State Tailgate", FSOhio's regional football discussion show, is using the new graphics.

Reds.png.3e69587cb607c1521fb5b67566a71c8c.png

I wonder if the RSNs are waiting till the NHL season starts before debuting new graphics? Obvoisuly they'r not going to change to the new look right at the end of the regular season (baseball) but Fox/FS1 could debut the new look (for other sports) when Baseball Postseason play starts.

I'm more curious at a couple of things:

1. Will Fox Sports Oklahoma finally start using the flat two-color logo for Oklahoma City Thunder games on a regular basis? (when the Fox RSNs started using it in 2015-16, Fox Sports Oklahoma didn't make the switch to it, they did use it on a number of occaisions for Thunder basketball telecasts but for the most part kept the logo bug used since 2013)

2. For Racing (which includes NASCAR) will they go back to the scrolling ticker or go with the same look as NBC/NBCSN uses for NASCAR and IndyCar?

Archived