New Fox Sports graphics (2017 Edition?)

Viper550

Why create a graphics package that kills 15% of the picture?! If you get something in that left side and it's missed because we just had to know who was in 16th place, that's pretty darned dumb.

What I *think* they are doing is recreating the scoring pylon that you get if you attend a race.

All I got to say... it's better than their attempt 4 years ago

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PvXXbo6kqIOverall this package is better than the last (never liked it for any sport) but I still don’t like the side ticker and the use of generic numbers in so many areas instead of utilizing the unique design/colors for each car. Nothing, however, will ever too the 2011-13 package, as seen in the video above.

Spring training has started, and thankfully it looks like the Fox Sports networks (for their maybe-last season with Fox) have taken the new graphics for baseball straight-off; no awkward transition until the regular season (at least with Fox Sports Wisconsin).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

UFC is probably never going to get them because why bother when you're losing the contract.

But golf is got them now with the rescheduled U.S. Women's Open. There's a bit more blue and white, and most of the layouts seem to be identical to the old package

Why can’t American sports scoreboards ever be small?

Fox's example here for soccer is a giant waste of space, I agree. There's way too much room taken up for the city names.

Overall, a primary reason for larger score graphics are for bar/pub settings where you might be trying to view from afar.

MLB on TBS did launch an extremely tiny (by U.S. standards) score graphic last season. My complaint is that it's hard to read even from my own couch. They did it as a reactionary move to complaints about their 2016 score graphic being too large. Their 2011-2015 graphic was perfect, IMO. But of course, everyone feels the need to try to reinvent the wheel.

Why can’t American sports scoreboards ever be small?

Scale for advertisers, most likely. Since soccer is much more of a sustaining event because of lack of timeouts, they probably have to attract those advertisers by promising the 'this action brought to you by' banner is at a certain pixel space. Another consideration is that MLS, team names are just not plain known. NFL and MLB, abbreviations are fine, but MLS is still an uncertainty to most American audiences.

But it might change for FIFA; they might just use the world feed graphics there for the most part. We'll have to see.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Viper550 said:

So when the Miami Heat use their Miami Sunset Vice jerseys, even the scoreboard changes their color to pink.

When the Hurricanes played as the Whalers, I noticed Fox Sports Carolina also changed the colours of the scoreboards.

Sportsnet does the same when the Raptors wear their Drake/Gold uniforms (the court also changes to match the jerseys).

A few years ago when the Raptors paid homage to the Huskies, Toronto's original pro-basketball team in the 40s with inspired unis and a special court, TSN referred to the team as the Huskies on screen.

Archived