New Fox Sports graphics (2017 Edition?)

Viper550

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me crazy, but I actually really like it. I'm usually a fan of the flashier Fox stuff, and this is perhaps a bit too simple, but the smooth and clean animations are what make this for me. They could stand to make the text bigger, especially on the score bar, but I have no problem saying that this is better than the CBS graphics, though NBC's are still the best.

I will admit, though, that the baseball version of this is surely gonna suck.

425467109_bandicam2017-08-2712-01-14-786.thumb.png.10af157ef3df9eb8a7b200c4a11b36e5.png

1301423600_bandicam2017-08-2712-29-02-077.thumb.png.39d90bf6dfbd1a87c820387b03295170.png

508596035_bandicam2017-08-2712-13-44-624.thumb.png.5b52f2dd8f3f7564d012efe25b16e605.png

2044402197_bandicam2017-08-2712-13-42-981.thumb.png.99ff2bddb1238a6a3cab6fa0e671c404.png

1427282316_bandicam2017-08-2712-17-07-916.thumb.png.d1583acfb1c790fe0906d9965cedc0ad.png

1615850730_bandicam2017-08-2712-30-31-510.thumb.png.c130673fc2c8eac947ef45f710c2ab0b.png

862317889_bandicam2017-08-2712-29-41-265.thumb.png.264caa16dc16618571edfd4494e404cd.png

Though I don't think NBC's scoreboard retracts itself into a completely different form factor when a certain type of L3 is up.

But anyway, Fox Sports Australia probably has one of the best boxy/minimal graphics packages in all of sports behind ESPN. It's not only elegant, but they use a lot of typography-oriented designs

K19GSF7.jpg

They also have a rather Gannett-like idea of different colors/icons associated with their different sports properties (the pennant for Aussie Rules, a sort of chevron for NRL, etc.). Their NRL package would have been a unique starting point for NFL

[MEDIA=twitter]891280179602964480[/MEDIA]

Some mistakes so far:

"Personal Fould"

tQShJtk.jpg

Somehow it's both the Start of the third quarter, but it's actually the 3rd quarter with 10:34 left.

UUy8Tk4.jpg

I'm surprised that the "Personal Foul" text isn't selected from a pre-prepared list of penalty reasons, unless they typoed it inside their pre-prepared template.

Seeing other graphics during Bengals-Redskins, this is definitely the finished product that partially debuted during the Super Bowl, though I think we can all agree that the predominantly black/yellow look is infintely better than the white/red elements of that night.

Ugh.

I realize the world of design is trending flat, but I don't think it has a place in American sports, and it's a very uncomfortable juxtaposition between the crazy 3D interstitials and...this.

People watch sports for over-the-top crazy things and the visuals need to reflect that. People in bars are not going to know what's going on with this look. They want to watch football and be immersed in that experience, not feel like they're in design theory 101.

I'm definitely a fan. I like the simplistic look and thought it was interesting they eschewed location names or abbreviations for team names. It's a smart move in a sport where teams are more identified by their nicknames than their locations. You could easily do the same thing with NBA telecasts on FSN...but not sure it would fit as well for MLB or NHL. Just hope they don't do the same thing for college.

Does NBC still do that? I can't even recall how it looks when they do it.

Yup. For overall general team or player stats, the entire scorebar will wipe away and be replaced with an l3. For in-game team or player stats, the respective team's color on the scorebar will expand out to fill the entire scorebar (and the peacock will turn that team's color) and reveal said player or team's stat. If it's a player stat, that player's image will appear on top of the bar.

Ugh.

I realize the world of design is trending flat, but I don't think it has a place in American sports, and it's a very uncomfortable juxtaposition between the crazy 3D interstitials and...this.

People watch sports for over-the-top crazy things and the visuals need to reflect that. People in bars are not going to know what's going on with this look. They want to watch football and be immersed in that experience, not feel like they're in design theory 101.

I think NBC's look strikes a great balance between flat and 3D. The insert graphics are strikingly colorful, the fonts are large without being over the top and distracting, and then the opens, backdrops and replay/transition wipes all bring the 3D aesthetics we associate with sports here in this country.

Yup. For overall general team or player stats, the entire scorebar will wipe away and be replaced with an l3. For in-game team or player stats, the respective team's color on the scorebar will expand out to fill the entire scorebar (and the peacock will turn that team's color) and reveal said player or team's stat. If it's a player stat, that player's image will appear on top of the bar.

Yeah, but does NBC's graphics (or their Thursday night graphics) have the score graphic morph into a smaller version of itself when the main version is wiped away? I didn't think it did.

Yeah, but does NBC's graphics (or their Thursday night graphics) have the score graphic morph into a smaller version of itself when the main version is wiped away? I didn't think it did.

That it does not. The closest thing to that it does is wipe away and a corner scorebox instantly wipes in to replace it but that's only when going to break. I'm not sure about the TNF package as I haven't seen enough of it yet but I doubt it does.

Ugh.

I have to agree with you. What FOX's new package lacks is creativity. I feel like I'm watching GSN; Generic Sports Network. One thing I loved about HD when it first came out was how crisp and clear graphics looked with gradients, shadows, shine & such. I know the flat thing is popular now too, but it seems like a waste to have all this HD graphic technology and not use it to its fullest.

Archived