New Fox Sports graphics (2017 Edition?)

Viper550

I still find it perplexing that Fox didn't debut their current look at Super Bowl XLVIII, but all signs are pointing towards Fox Sports debuting a new look. First that new on-field downs marker, then the fact that they'll likely have to redo their entire NASCAR branding by default because of their new logo/Cup Series title sponsor. Now, we have this starting to pop up...

[MEDIA=twitter]826237178917289992[/MEDIA]

I'm not sure if I like this. It feels way too derivative so far (the L3s there look too much like ESPN, and why is boxy+DIN such a wide trend? I even saw a tweet by a Sinclair anchor during Super Bowl 50 who said that CBS's new look seemed a bit familiar).

Pictures seem to indicate that Fox is still using the old graphics too - so who knows, maybe it might be last time where the pre-Super Bowl programming teased something, but it won't actually be used until NASCAR returns.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overdue. The graphics packages start off fine, then a year or two in, they start to mess with them until you're left with a hodge-podge of different graphic styles/colors. Curious to see what they roll out for baseball.

Overdue. The graphics packages start off fine, then a year or two in, they start to mess with them until you're left with a hodge-podge of different graphic styles/colors. Curious to see what they roll out for baseball.

Cause in point, ESPN. They have a different package for nearly every sport ranging from way outdated (College hockey) to current (NBA) to stupid (NFL).

Cause in point, ESPN. They have a different package for nearly every sport ranging from way outdated (College hockey) to current (NBA) to stupid (NFL).

No kidding. I wonder if MLB will get the same jazzed up version of the graphics as NBA/MNF/College Football playoffs.

I think this look is for the Super Bowl only, because I saw a split-screen earlier that used elements of the current look.

I doubt it. I don't recall FOX ever creating a look just for the Super Bowl. If the split screen looks familiar, it's because this package seems to be a heavy refresh of the last one. The L3's retained the glass border around them, and in general, the graphics layout is still the same. What has changed is the font/textures-gradients/colors- somewhat.

Fox Sports has used Gotham since 2013. their starting to look alike to CBS in fact call me crazy but even NBC is using similar graphics.

EDIT: apparently FOX sports made the switch from Chyron to Vizrt.

1. Fox Sports has been using the Antenna typeface and their own proprietary typeface.
  2. They have been using Vizrt since their last Super Bowl in 2010.

If the split screen looks familiar, it's because this package seems to be a heavy refresh of the last one. The L3's retained the glass border around them, and in general, the graphics layout is still the same. What has changed is the font/textures-gradients/colors- somewhat.

You're right on. Overall I'm seeing these inserts as a reskin of the concurrent. Additionally, I'm expecting some graphical elements from their concurrent look to be retained for this one.

[MEDIA=twitter]828364611741167616[/MEDIA]

Same layouts, except it's now mashed up with ESPN and Sinclair now, I guess

Seems to be acting more "card"-like than the others though with the animation. Almost Android-like with how they're popping up and falling away

[MEDIA=twitter]828364611741167616[/MEDIA]

Same layouts, except it's now mashed up with ESPN and Sinclair now, I guess

Seems to be acting more "card"-like than the others though with the animation. Almost Android-like with how they're popping up and falling away

That thing up at the top looks like something from the identifier of the camera shots at the end of the CBS Evening News...

[MEDIA=twitter]828379246829645826[/MEDIA]

You either missed a spot, or have a hunch. But despite this, all the signs (the DIN being used in-studio and on the new down arrow thing) was pointing towards a dramatic overhaul.

Plus, TSN and KFMB have set precedents for such mix-and-match jobs. The white and red may just be a Super Bowl version, and we'll probably get some glossy blue reskin of it for NASCAR.

Archived