Carol Costello leaving CNN; joining HLN

JoseRM303

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/carol-costello-leaves-cnn/319043

No word what hours she will anchor at HLN (likely after Erica Hill). Her replacement on CNN will be named in the coming days.

I think Carol will do 3-6pm or 4-7pm or even 5-8pm if MichaeLA goes back to three hours but from 11am-2pm and then have Erica Hill go three hours from 2-5pm. If Carol does 5-8pm, then it will lead right to Primetime Justice.

I really liked her in the not-too-long ago time when she was a down the middle news anchor, but her show is really hard to watch. It's punditry that is on way too early in the day, and I think she fancies herself too much as an opinion host now rather than a news anchor.

With that said, it's interesting to see that she will now be able to claim that she has worked at every CNN US broadcast center (Atlanta, DC, NYC, LA) at one point. I don't think anyone has ever done that before.

Wasn't Carol the newsreader for the now defunct American Morning under Soledad O'Brien and Miles O'Brien?

She was originally the anchor of Daybreak, the early morning newscast before American Morning. When that was cancelled, she was incorporated into American Morning for a while. Not sure when that stopped — I think it was when John Roberts and Kiran Chetry took over AM. After that, she mostly filed general reports from in house in DC for no show in particular, though she would occasionally pop up in New York and Atlanta to fill in anchor on AM and Newsroom. After John and Kiran left, she co-anchored AM (and Wake Up Call, remember that one?) with Ali Velshi and Christine Romans. Then, when they blew up AM for New Day, she was offered her Newsroom slot, first in Atlanta, and then in New York.

I guess the less hours of Forensic Files on the sched, the better for us, huh?

But seriously, congrats to Carol on the cool change of career. I think the hours, location and closeness to her family will do the best for her.

The less of Forensic Files, the better. Show's so old now.

Speaking of Kiran Chetry, she mentioned a big opportunity that she'd mention soon back when left. Wonder what ever became of that?

Who knows. She supposedly had a contract with NBC to report for Rock Center, but I guess that never materialized. She then popped up a few years later to fill-in anchor on CNNI for two days only, hinting on social media that she may come back to CNN fulltime. Then, a few weeks later, she was spotted doing infomercials. She's supposedly working on a new Nepali-American magazine, though I still don't see any trace of it actually existing.

She's still active on Twitter. From there, you can see that the link to her professional site is broken, but you can see photos of her recent vacation to the adult-themed Secrets resort in Jamaica. I guess that's your answer.

I really liked her in the not-too-long ago time when she was a down the middle news anchor, but her show is really hard to watch. It's punditry that is on way too early in the day, and I think she fancies herself too much as an opinion host now rather than a news anchor.

To add to this, she was wayyyy too emotional for my liking. I hate anchors that seem like they may cry half the time. She also never really had a commanding presence, and more often than not had a vibe like she didn't know anything.

We now know who's replacing Carol Costello:

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/former-fox-newser-dave-briggs-joins-cnn/319168

- Poppy Harlow & John Berman to CO-anchor the 9-11am hours. (Poppy leaves weekends; John leaves "@ this hour" & "Early Start"

- Dave Briggs joins CNN to CO-anchor a revamped "Early Start" with Christine Romans

- Kate Bolduan will solo anchor "@ this hour"

- John King picks up "Inside Politics"

Everything else remains the same.

To add to this, she was wayyyy too emotional for my liking. I hate anchors that seem like they may cry half the time. She also never really had a commanding presence, and more often than not had a vibe like she didn't know anything.

Omo,,,

Poppy Harlow and Fred Whitfield also have perfected the "look of distress" .

Come to think of it...

Maybe it's a genuine distressed look for the fragile creatures.

Go hug your children.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived