Old Graphics That Still Look Great

Jess

The gold ole Gannet Graphics created by Giant Octopus! WTHI used a blue variation of these from 2006-2012. Seriously the best package ever!

(other videos snipped)

I think the only station using this pack now is WLUK.

WLUK is indeed still using that package, and may be one of the few/only Sinclair ops to have *not* switched over to their stock package (not entirely.....weather, yes). I didn't know it originated with Gannett...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WLUK is indeed still using that package, and may be one of the few/only Sinclair ops to have *not* switched over to their stock package (not entirely.....weather, yes). I didn't know it originated with Gannett...

Yes. WUSA commissioned the graphics, then WXIA and KPNX picked them up too. KPNX used the blue version like WTHI did.

I really liked this package that a lot of people hated on at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=RdqKW0FfETg;t=117

This replaced a GO package, and IMO it's an improvement. Great typography, distinctive colors, very clean. It's very much the opposite of what they had but it wasn't really a downgrade.

----

Then there's the distinctive ABC O&O look from the late 80s that I affectionately call "CapCities Chrome". WPVI used it the best.

I wish I did. I have a theory it might actually have been in-house, but then again

Haha to me, the ABC Affiliate Package did not fit well with those graphics. It's weird hearing something else other than image or the old b package.

KTLA 1997-2004 and the refresh 2005-2009 (before they added the italic slant 5 and de-emphasized the Nike swoosh from 2010-2012)

I really loved KWGN's 1999/2000 look, which in retrospect, was very much inspired by KTLA's 1997 look. Lots of white space, simple sans serif text, fast-paced city photography, and graphics that switched from yellow in the morning to blue at 9pm. I think that KTLA look also inspired many others at that time (KSWB, WPIX, and more). That was also probably the height of KWGN as a strong standalone Tribune station both in terms of identity and as a news product.

I really loved KWGN's 1999/2000 look, which in retrospect, was very much inspired by KTLA's 1997 look. Lots of white space, simple sans serif text, fast-paced city photography, and graphics that switched from yellow in the morning to blue at 9pm. I think that KTLA look also inspired many others at that time (KSWB, WPIX, and more). That was also probably the height of KWGN as a strong standalone Tribune station both in terms of identity and as a news product.

Hands down to Linda Kane Design who created the KTLA graphics. Yes she also created graphics for KSWB, KRON, WBBM, and KTVU

I really liked this package that a lot of people hated on at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=RdqKW0FfETg;t=117

This replaced a GO package, and IMO it's an improvement. Great typography, distinctive colors, very clean. It's very much the opposite of what they had but it wasn't really a downgrade.

I dare say the 2003 BBM look was a few years ahead of its time. Probably one of the first intentionally minimalist looks out there, which probably wasn't a fit that era.

Even after WBZ and WCCO did the minimalist thing in 06-07, it still took a bit to catch on.

I dare say the 2003 BBM look was a few years ahead of its time. Probably one of the first intentionally minimalist looks out there, which probably wasn't a fit that era.

Even after WBZ and WCCO did the minimalist thing in 06-07, it still took a bit to catch on.

That's the Linda Kane package

XETV was ahead of its time with the promos and graphics when they launched FOX 6 NEWS back in 1999.

Here's a promo sampler but you can see some lower thirds and OTS around the 2:08 mark.

• 9 months later...
So I found some info on the CapCities Chrome look that should interest @HulkieD . The company's name was actually [URL='https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewwwelch']Andrew Welch[/URL] and Associates. In 1985, this Hollywood-based shop was acquired by Capital Cities. As a result, they ceased to do work for non-ABC stations — the final Welch design for another network affiliate was what WCCO rolled out in the Best News of All era, which debuted September 23, 1985. (It's also the most polished and chrome-y of all of the pre-ABC Welch designs.) He remained with CapCities until 1988, creating a video design group for the stations and saving some $2.1 million in the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihe8RJeUMvo

[quote name='Raymie']So I found some info on the CapCities Chrome look that should interest @HulkieD . The company's name was actually [URL='https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewwwelch']Andrew Welch[/URL] and Associates. In 1985, this Hollywood-based shop was acquired by Capital Cities. As a result, they ceased to do work for non-ABC stations — the final Welch design for another network affiliate was what WCCO rolled out in the Best News of All era, which debuted September 23, 1985. (It's also the most polished and chrome-y of all of the pre-ABC Welch designs.) He remained with CapCities until 1988, creating a video design group for the stations and saving some $2.1 million in the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihe8RJeUMvo[/QUOTE] [B][I]YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. [/I][/B] That WCCO design has all of the hallmarks of a CapCities Chrome look. The flying text, the shininess, the rows of county names... it's all there. Do we know when the CapCities Chrome-- well, now we can call it the Welch style -- look debuted at KABC? By what I've been able to gather they were the first to use that style of graphics, with the rest following suit within the next year or two. But yeah. Always awesome to hear more about that style. One of my favorites.

My guess on KABC debuting this look is in late 1986. Definitely by February 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3O9ZXzrLug

1987 seems to have been the year for Welch designs across quite a bit of the Cap Cities/ABC station group, including WTVD and KABC. (KGO seems to have come later)

KTRK must have been the client that impressed Cap Cities/ABC so much they hired him. The first clip also serves as a good example of the first generation of Welch looks before they were slathered in chrome:

One of the other late Welch looks prior to being hired by Cap Cities is WPXI, which is just as chrome-y as the WCCO set:

Other early Welch works included WLWT and KOMO.

The KMGH opens from 1985 are also definitely in the late set. They're really, really chromed up. The virtual set technology was in use until the 1992 rebrand to "Colorado's 7". (The 1992 open also displays a clear imitation of the Welch-y circle 7 animation!)

Archived