Old Graphics That Still Look Great

Jess

They did do numerous packages for them - no less than 5 if my memory serves. Maybe you saw a sample of one of those? Honestly the Rainmaker look just isn't ticking enough boxes for me in animation and overall layout, when I compare it to my catalog of TVbD demo reels and their other output from the era.

I'm not sure what "Rainmaker" is...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what "Rainmaker" is...

It was a package of musically-related open/promo themes, created by 615 Music. It mostly featured compositions from Tom Snider who writes a majority of 615's news themes and also featured two or three themes from John Keltonic /JDK Music who contributed to the package.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,26

http://jdkmusic.com/portfolio-items/wthr-indianapolis-promo-music/

It was a package of musically-related open/promo themes, created by 615 Music. It mostly featured compositions from Tom Snider who writes a majority of 615's news themes and also featured two or three themes from John Keltonic /JDK Music who contributed to the package.

And, IMO, is one of 615's more underrated themes.

Didn't realize JDK had a hand in it. Where was that touch for his Media General work?

Rainmaker is the music package that accompanied the look in question, commissioned by WTHR and used by them from 2000-2003.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,26

http://jdkmusic.com/portfolio-items/wthr-indianapolis-promo-music/

I thought it was a motion graphics firm that I never heard of that produced WTHR's 2001 graphics.

That's what I get for having no interest in TV news music.

Growing up, I always thought KGTV had some good packages from the McGraw Hill Days:

1994:

1998:

I really wish I could find the original opens/music for this one... Though I did also like the in-house open with the production music shown in this video.

YES! The 1994 was my favorite package of all time.

1998 was a basic music production package, CBS used it on some of their prime time promos.

The package I’ve been trying to find was the nightly 9pm KUSI Special Reports before The News at Ten recapping the Danielle Van Dam Trial against David Westerfield. It was such an eerie production music package that was also used on CBS promos and on NBC Dateline once.

YES! The 1994 was my favorite package of all time.

1998 was a basic music production package, CBS used it on some of their prime time promos.

The package I’ve been trying to find was the nightly 9pm KUSI Special Reports before The News at Ten recapping the Danielle Van Dam Trial against David Westerfield. It was such an eerie production music package that was also used on CBS promos and on NBC Dateline once.

Yeah, the production music was basic (it only had the two cuts), but I still liked it because it was different from what everyone else was doing at the time (then enter XETV and their theme). But what I'm talking about is the original music used when the 1998 package debuted when they started using the slogan "People Make the Difference" and they rebranded the 5pm to "Live at 5." I don't know who made the theme, but it was a very brassy orchestral theme with either a 6 or 7 note signature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Love the KSHB graphics. I'm pretty sure those are a variation of the graphics that were created for WDTN, which was an amazing package. I'd love to see more stations pick that up.

WREX also used that Giant Octopus package in the '00s. One of my favorite looks.

Actually... it's Helvetica Neue. IMODO, Impact in all caps and italicized is all I think it should be used for. ;)

That would be Impact v.4, the news music package...

As for Helvetica Neue, it must have been really “in” in the 2000s! WAVY used it with their Giant Octopus package.

That would be Impact v.4, the news music package...

As for Helvetica Neue, it must have been really “in” in the 2000s! WAVY used it with their Giant Octopus package.

That Impact. Yeah, it worked so well with that GO package. I wish I could travel in the wayback machine to see how many of GO's packages had Helvetica Neue. I'd say at least three would be my guess!

Archived