San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

om

Nobody at KUSI ever saw anyone from FOX....ever....it never happened that way.

They wouldn't have known any of the players involved at that time...and any FOX people touring KUSI would have been outside vendors / engineers and appraisers.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for your insight. I just mention what i've read around since i've never worked in tv, but the hot rumors during that time were just that.

The KUSI thing came from old TVspy forums, back in the day. I'm not sure who brought up KUSI/FOX, but Doug Curlee made no secret that he was a lurker/constant poster there. Plus the posters there made it known that FOX was desperately trying to move away from XETV and that they reluctantly had no choice but to go to KUSI after Tribune rebuffed them. For what it's worth. Just thought i'd share. Some pretty convoluted sh*t.

In regards to the Zell thing, I did watch his video presentation when he dropped the KSWB/Fox bomb. He specifically mentioned that the old Tribune management had rejected to affiliate KSWB with FOX, and how when he found out about it, he personally called them up. It was the typical over-inflated egotistical CEO bs those types like to spew out.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spoke to KFMB via Facebook tonight and here's what's confirmed so far...

1) Channel 8.3 will be home to The CW.

2) Won't be put on 8.2 due to Me-TV and KFMB having an agreement to have Me-TV on 8.2

3) Trying to keep Channel 6 slot open for KFMB's new CW subchannel so that they can hopefully continue to use the "CW 6" name.

4) KFMB acquires The CW on May 31st at 12:01am PDT, NOT in September from earlier reports.

5) There will be local news on the CW subchannel, but never told me what they are. (Will more likely be XETV's news times except weekdays 5-7am and weekends 8-10am)

EDIT: So basically, KFMB's subchannels WILL be like this...

8.1 = CBS 8

8.2 = Me-TV San Diego

8.3 = CW 6

See above. The GM has confirmed that they're going to do a 7-9am newscast, 4 & 10pm. Nothing was mentioned in regards to weekends AM or PM. He reiterated that both stations will not air newscasts at the same time.

I spoke to KFMB via Facebook tonight and here's what's confirmed so far...

1) Channel 8.3 will be home to The CW.

2) Won't be put on 8.2 due to Me-TV and KFMB having an agreement to have Me-TV on 8.2

I was right about MeTV not going anywhere, but I'm also glad to learn that they're smart enough to defend their subchannel placements. You see Retro, Cozi and the Katz nets move around like chess pieces when major channels get on a station, but MeTV always manages to keep their spot once they get it (probably why you've never seen in on a DTV America station, for instance).

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for your insight. I just mention what i've read around since i've never worked in tv, but the hot rumors during that time were just that.

The KUSI thing came from old TVspy forums, back in the day. I'm not sure who brought up KUSI/FOX, but Doug Curlee made no secret that he was a lurker/constant poster there. Plus the posters there made it known that FOX was desperately trying to move away from XETV and that they reluctantly had no choice but to go to KUSI after Tribune rebuffed them. For what it's worth. Just thought i'd share. Some pretty convoluted sh*t.

In regards to the Zell thing, I did watch his video presentation when he dropped the KSWB/Fox bomb. He specifically mentioned that the old Tribune management had rejected to affiliate KSWB with FOX, and how when he found out about it, he personally called them up. It was the typical over-inflated egotistical CEO bs those types like to spew out.

Yea that KUSI /FOX story made the rounds.

The thing is Murdoch and Ailes were very hands on in the FOX start-ups from 1990 till 99 with XETV being the very last start-up. The affil yank was really a left field deal. We will never know all the dirty details on how that really went down.

Like I said...

If you see empty rack mounts coming out of XETV News building....then it's bye bye for good....

If you see the Admin building being torn down...and a posted building permit on site...then is most likely Univision or another TV station taking over the property

Yes....

KSWB or KBNT/Entra would fit in there also....hell KBNT would be in heaven... thats plan B,C,or D.

[quote name='rkolsen']With all of @Eat News insider information of San Diego news I think we can say he works for or has worked for KGTV and KFMB.[/QUOTE] Actually Eat News used to work at the Sea World News Corporation, anchoring Shamu's Late News Tonight. That was before SW shut the place down and laid him off (sound familiar.. *XETV*). Now he's an unemployed Shark.

Actually Eat News used to work at the Sea World News Corporation, anchoring Shamu's Late News Tonight. That was before SW shut the place down and laid him off (sound familiar.. *XETV*). Now he's an unemployed Shark.

I hear his XETV contacts got him some work at the CW...unfortunately he was let go after eating the director.

The-Flash-King-Shark.jpg

The most interesting shark in the world was offered a buy-out...

But KBEX has crappy credit so I insisted on Cash Only.

So they're paying you under the table??? Is your fin able to reach across that said table...? LOL

See above. The GM has confirmed that they're going to do a 7-9am newscast, 4 & 10pm. Nothing was mentioned in regards to weekends AM or PM. He reiterated that both stations will not air newscasts at the same time.

Pretty predictable, minus the 4pm newscasts.

Pretty predictable, minus the 4pm newscasts.

’You’ll be seeing a completely different newscast (than KFMB’s)' date=' customized for that (CW) channel,” said (Alberto) Mier y Terán (KFMB's Pres. and GM), who hopes to retain the CW6 name. “And you will not be seeing news at the same time. On KFMB, we don’t have a 4 p.m. or 10 p.m. newscast, so I will run the KFMB newscast on the CW channel at 4 and 10 p.m.[/quote']

In other words, KFMB will carry 4:00 pm news on The CW.

In other words, KFMB will carry 4:00 pm news on The CW.

correct. Weekends are unknown. KFMB doesn't have a weekend AM newscast so they shouldn't have an issue putting one on the CW. However, it all boils down to money.

Fun XETV Fact...

The news open music used by The Channel 6 10 O'clock news in 1977 is....

"ON the Run." Sorry, I'm a huge Floyd nerd, and Dark Side is my favorite album. :)

"The Run," on the other hand, is an unreleased track Roger Waters wrote after a weekend in Tijuana.

"ON the Run." Sorry, I'm a huge Floyd nerd, and Dark Side is my favorite album. :)

"The Run," on the other hand, is an unreleased track Roger Waters wrote after a weekend in Tijuana.

Consider me corrected on that one...

Of course I have been pre-occupied by "The Wall"....which if you are on the wrong side of...You may get "The Runs"....

Pink Pepto is "The Cure"...

(you can shoot me for that)

Consider me corrected on that one...

Of course I have been pre-occupied by "The Wall"....which if you are on the wrong side of...You may get "The Runs"....

Pink Pepto is "The Cure"...

(you can shoot me for that)

You magnificent bastard. You made me shoot green tea through my nose (at least I hope that was green tea).

• 2 weeks later...

Little Digs

In these final days of CW6 it's fun to catch those parting "little Digs".

Tonight's little dig was in a story about how the cannabis industry is retraining people for the new data entry/ programming jobs expected to be available .

Part of the script read...

"Some of those being retrained are from the (insert blue collar profession) bla bla trades...

....and some former TV newsroom employees...."

Little digs.

There will be more I'm sure.

I guess the nice thing is XETV is letting CW6 wind down in a way that allows the staff to work on those resume reels. You are seeing some good stuff on CW6 right now. No mistakes...solid reporting and shooting / editing...best clothes...best stand-ups etc.

XETV could have just yanked the plug, but they didn't ,so kudos to them.

I feel for those sad tomatoes.

Little Digs

In these final days of CW6 it's fun to catch those parting "little Digs".

Tonight's little dig was in a story about how the cannabis industry is retraining people for the new data entry/ programming jobs expected to be available .

Part of the script read...

"Some of those being retrained are from the (insert blue collar profession) bla bla trades...

....and some former TV newsroom employees...."

Little digs.

There will be more I'm sure.

I guess the nice thing is XETV is letting CW6 wind down in a way that allows the staff to work on those resume reels. You are seeing some good stuff on CW6 right now. No mistakes...solid reporting and shooting / editing...best clothes...best stand-ups etc.

XETV could have just yanked the plug, but they didn't ,so kudos to them.

I feel sad for those sad tomatoes.

I noticed those little digs. They started to occur more frequently during the last few days that Sabrina was on air. Jason and Neda mentioned that it was her last day at CW6 and that she was going on to maternity leave, then Sabrina responded by saying that she wasn't coming back from leave because by the time her leave was over, there would be no station to come back to. They've also been vocal on social media about the station shutting down- from the anchors to hell even the station itself. They've made no secret that they're done in a few months.

Considering that there are some viewers who have no idea about the situation at XETV, it would have been prudent, even noble of the station to make mention of the situation at hand, on-air and maybe devote an article on their website with some FAQ's.

I'm curious to know when KFMB will get the greenlight to start airing promos for the CW and the newscasts.

And in a first (that I know of) for the station: There's a job opening for a MMJ... Not sure if it's for the CW outlet exclusively or for both stations, but it's interesting nonetheless. I think they were the last shop in town to hold back on the MMJ craze...Not anymore, it looks like.

Looks like they are adding an overnight assignment editor (new ) and another EP...plus an anchor/reporter. It looks like somebody is spending a little money. Where did you see an MMJ listing? Did I miss it?

it was right below the Master Control Operator listing.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/34477192/kfmb-stations-multi-media-journalist-reporter

As for that anchor/reporter position: A bit vague as it doesn't specify for what shift. I wonder if it's for weekends? It seems like they'll be using Dan, Nichelle and Heather for the AM newscast, and I doubt Barb and the gang will want to tack on another 2 hours worth of newscast each weeknight.

Archived