San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh hell did you see this Mary Mckenzie yet? I can't wait to see what secret code name they give her. maybe RKO has some info on her since she is from his area .

No clue. I don't watch enough WBFF to know their reporters (I will say their product is good aside from the must runs).

First off, long-time reader, first-time poster - now...

This situation with KFMB/XETV and their lack of communication bears some similarity to a changeover that occurred up here last year.

Prior to 2016, we had two premium movie services that were geographically restricted to two different parts of the country - divided between the Manitoba-Ontario border.

Movie Central - owned by Corus Entertainment/Shaw was seen in Western Canada (including the territories) and The Movie Network - owned by Bell Media, broadcast to Eastern Canada. Both services jointly marketed and operated an HBO branded channel on their services and co-produced original Canadian films and series to run on both services.

In July 2015, Bell recieved permission to take TMN national and subsequently four months later Bell paid Corus $200 Million Dollars to shut down Movie Central - or as they put it, "support the national expansion" of TMN and to waive their rights to the HBO library in Canada and to ensure a 'seamless' transition.

Bell ran a promo during the Oscars on CTV (which they also own) targeted to viewers in Western Canada about the changeover occurring 2 days later on March 1st, 2016. Program schedules on the MC website listed the same movies as TMN for March 1st and beyond and the MC social media accounts only made mention of the changeover after the fact.

Not-so eagle eyed viewers in the west likely saw it as a name change/rebrand - TMN previously had 'themed' channels but went with numerical/generic branding on their feeds and programming as Movie Central had been using for their feeds (with the exception of HBO).

One thought, does CBS have any big events besides the ACM Awards coming up? Is it possible for KFMB is waiting for a big event in May to announce channel placements both cable/over-the-air for The CW?

Welcome Northerner,

Well the May ratings sweeps are scheduled for....May.

So besides the ACM's there is the usual hype and BS associated wit "The Book".

I guess we should also consider that it's XETV's last real ratings period...and it's sold...so I guess it may be wrong to screw them out of that last book somehow.

Maybe there is a 30 day embargo or window.

It's just real strange, maybe a soft launch...nobody is talking...and I honestly don't think any of my sources actually know either. I get leaks all the time...but this has dried up.

Welcome Northerner,

Well the May ratings sweeps are scheduled for....May.

So besides the ACM's there is the usual hype and BS associated wit "The Book".

I guess we should also consider that it's XETV's last real ratings period...and it's sold...so I guess it may be wrong to screw them out of that last book somehow.

Maybe there is a 30 day embargo or window.

It's just real strange, maybe a soft launch...nobody is talking...and I honestly don't think any of my sources actually know either. I get leaks all the time...but this has dried up.

I truly believe the strategy they are employing is to basically paper over the transition with the big "moments" being the end and beginning of newscasts while CW programs remain on the same cable and satellite positions. If anything, it minimizes viewer confusion.

IIRC, when CBS was moving from WISH to WTTV, WTTV couldn't air promos saying they were the new CBS station Indianapolis until the actual switchover date (I think online or within newscasts on FOX 59 it was a different story). Would this be standard fare for any stations dealing with CBS/CW?

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Patton now at KGTV ABC 10 according to his recent handle change on Twitter @10NewsJimPatton doesn't say what his positon will be. Wonder if he'll be Rielle Creighton co-anchor on Weekends.

Add this to the clusterf*ck mess that KFMB has created:

MeTV is no longer on their digital subchannel (8.2). The affiliation was taken over by KGTV and parked on KZSD (If i'm not mistaken, the old azteca America channel?).

Anyways, some smarty pants forgot to mention that to Cox cable, and MeTV (channel 808) went out for a while. Some people reported seeing a loop announcement saying that the CW was coming soon on 8.2, this despite KFMB saying that it was going to be on 8.3 and MeTV was going to stay.

The MeTV feed came back, but it's now as I mentioned being operated by KGTV on KZSD's channel. One of the COX.com forum admins confirmed that the CW network will indeed be on channel 6.

Way to go KFMB! You have managed to really botch this affiliation switch.

Seriously, when is KFMB going live with The CW? I thought it was after May 31? Any idea what's the holdup? Are they they picking up the CW6Sandiego domains and handles from XETV?

Seriously, when is KFMB going live with The CW? I thought it was after May 31? Any idea what's the holdup? Are they they picking up the CW6Sandiego domains and handles from XETV?

It was going to be September 1 and then Televisa basically forced them to move up the launch by saying "we're going Spanish on 5/31".

Televisa is definitely in a cutback mood. If you want evidence of that, late last week, news began to appear suggesting that Nuestra Belleza México, the Televisa-organized beauty pageant that fed into Miss Universe, would be ended as too costly (the 2017 edition has already happened), and that the offices Televisa dedicated to this venture have been shuttered.

We've also learned recently that they're selling and renting back some of their facilities (some offices are being relocated and the excess real estate put up for rent), and the layoffs are continuing apace.

Add this to the clusterf*ck mess that KFMB has created:

MeTV is no longer on their digital subchannel (8.2). The affiliation was taken over by KGTV and parked on KZSD (If i'm not mistaken, the old azteca America channel?).

Anyways, some smarty pants forgot to mention that to Cox cable, and MeTV (channel 808) went out for a while. Some people reported seeing a loop announcement saying that the CW was coming soon on 8.2, this despite KFMB saying that it was going to be on 8.3 and MeTV was going to stay.

The MeTV feed came back, but it's now as I mentioned being operated by KGTV on KZSD's channel. One of the COX.com forum admins confirmed that the CW network will indeed be on channel 6.

Way to go KFMB! You have managed to really botch this affiliation switch.

Also, now the two affiliation switches in San Diego have merged thanks to this.

It goes something like:

KNSD-DT2: NEW -> Telemundo

XHAS: Telemundo -> Azteca América

KZSD: Azteca América -> Me-TV

KFMB-DT2: Me-TV -> CW

XETV: CW -> Canal 5???

Eric Kahnert has joined KFMB as an anchor/reporter. Not sure if he'll be doing the CW newscast or if he's taking the soon-to-be vacating spot of Dominic Garcia.

Then, there's that job opening for a weekend anchor...

Where is Dominic going? Let me guess... LA. Where all San Diego talent end up.

Back to Denver/CBS 4 as the 5pm anchor. He starts in July.

So Me-TV is on KGTV 10.2 and KZSD 15 to replace the 24-hour news channel while KFMB 8.2 is silent at the moment before The CW takes over 8.2 ?

You need a Visio chart to show all the channel changes going on at this point. It's pretty rare when Me gets tired of an affiliate and backs out; at least we know that KGTV's newscast loop was only to wait out the string, thankfully.

So Eric's bio is up on KFMB's site and it lists him as the 10pm anchor of "News 8 on The CW San Diego". I'm guessing Marcella Lee gets bumped up to weeknights as well.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/35355488/eric-kahnert

Marcella has kids in school and the current schedule was kinda working in her favor...you guys sure she wants to co-anchor the pimple- cast?

Her children would be mortified.

Marcella has kids in school and the current schedule was kinda working in her favor...you guys sure she wants to co-anchor the pimple- cast?

Her children would be mortified.

well it would explain why there's an opening for a weekend anchor position.

So Eric's bio is up on KFMB's site and it lists him as the 10pm anchor of "News 8 on The CW San Diego". I'm guessing Marcella Lee gets bumped up to weeknights as well.

So they are going to stick with that new CW branding name, I see.

Also, now the two affiliation switches in San Diego have merged thanks to this.

It goes something like:

KNSD-DT2: NEW -> Telemundo

XHAS: Telemundo -> Azteca América

KZSD: Azteca América -> Me-TV

KFMB-DT2: Me-TV -> CW

XETV: CW -> Canal 5???

"The San Diego TV Shuffle of 2017". Are there any more surprise moves coming?

I'm surprised no one took MyNet away from XHDTV. KUSI could take it and bury the lineup to late nights. That's what many of its affils are doing these days.

The main thing I'm watching for is for some authorization to cross the IFT's desk for whatever program change happens at XETV. As XETV has subchannels, a channel change does have to go before the IFT's seven commissioners.

The IFT has at least two scheduled meetings this month (in practice there are almost always several more), 5/17 and 5/31.

As to the "The CW San Diego" name, I imagine it might be around for a year or two, if only to indicate somehow to viewers that something has actually changed.

well it would explain why there's an opening for a weekend anchor position.

Yeah...I'm just babbling..

I seem to have forgotten about that weekend gig that's even worse when you have kids...so it's probably a better move.

And she is very capable of doing a fine job.

But her kids are still gonna be mortified.

The main thing I'm watching for is for some authorization to cross the IFT's desk for whatever program change happens at XETV. As XETV has subchannels, a channel change does have to go before the IFT's seven commissioners.

As to the "The CW San Diego" name, I imagine it might be around for a year or two, if only to indicate somehow to viewers that something has actually changed.

Wow...

No switchie unless the IFT sez so?

Do they open it up for public comment of any type?

How often do these things get denied?

What do you think will happen?

Archived