San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

They may have to simulcast MeTV outside of The CW until they can fill their schedule with syndicated content. Will they be smart to not pick up Maury and let XHDTV pick the trash up?

Wouldn't be surprised if KSWB pick up Povich. They already carry Springer & Wilkos on their air.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update 4:20pm

This is not good...

One long time vendor to XETV reports they owe on past due invoices....

Phone call from accounting going un-returned...

Meanwhile at KFMB...

Blindsided but working to get CW up by Mar31 on the 6 slot on TCI and COX cable.....unclear if "6" is being abandon in the USA for good. BCTV still has all rights to the 6 on cable in SD.

Do you think there's a remote possibility that KFMB and XETV work something out to ensure a smooth transition? As in, is there a possibility that KFMB takes in some of XETV's talent and usage of their studios until they can physically accommodate them on Engineer Rd?

And Chuck Dunning is 2 for 2... in terms of losing network affiliations.

There’s no telling whether the XETV news department shutting down at the end of March 31 will be anything like the WTOG news department closure from 1998

Who's to say that the news department will still be around by 3/31. I wouldn't be surprised if they shut down before then.

It wouldn't surprise me if the current political climate is the final nail in the coffin. It would be devastating to ANY company trying to do business in Mexico and vice versa if it passes.

As this is unfolding, it seems that Bay City Television is in dire financial straits and could end up in bankruptcy and/or liquidation. Televisa just cuts off the American operations and runs the station out of Tijuana.

It could pose issues for the other border-casters that still exist like XHDTV and XHRIO. On the other border, KVOS and CKLW (now CBET) gave up serving their more lucrative foreign audiences a long time ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if the current political climate is the final nail in the coffin. It would be devastating to ANY company trying to do business in Mexico and vice versa if it passes.

As this is unfolding, it seems that Bay City Television is in dire financial straits and could end up in bankruptcy and/or liquidation. Televisa just cuts off the American operations and runs the station out of Tijuana.

It could pose issues for the other border-casters that still exist like XHDTV and XHRIO. On the other border, KVOS and CKLW (now CBET) gave up serving their more lucrative foreign audiences a long time ago.

This is another problem.

Every single border city broadcaster is worried right now. The risks are very high for the US-based radio stations that are operated by Mexican companies like XHTO and KXPL, for anyone with a permit for cross-border programming, and even for Entravision whose contracts to operate the Mexican stations stretch into the 2030s. Other movers to watch include RCommunications which has stations in Reynosa and Ciudad Acuña, and KVAW TV in Eagle Pass, TX, which is owned and operated by the American arm of a Coahuila media company called NRT.

Do you think there's a remote possibility that KFMB and XETV work something out to ensure a smooth transition? As in, is there a possibility that KFMB takes in some of XETV's talent and usage of their studios until they can physically accommodate them on Engineer Rd?

And Chuck Dunning is 2 for 2... in terms of losing network affiliations.

XETV/ BCTV laid a giant turd.

Expect NOTHING from them(BCTV)....and don't expect KFMB to take any XETV refugees.

Expect NOTHING from them(BCTV)....and don't expect KFMB to take any XETV refugees.

Damn. Have you heard anything else on KFMB's accelerated plans to take in the network? I can't imagine all the crap they need to do in less than 2 months.

Damn. Have you heard anything else on KFMB's accelerated plans to take in the network? I can't imagine all the crap they need to do in less than 2 months.

Nothing yet. I'm hopeful its soon that they'll say something, especially in the local news front.

Dang, this just got more dramatic. Very interesting to see Midwest TV form this new subchannel now at a more accelerated rate and what actually materializes in terms of news programming on the subchannel. I do feel bad for those at XETV, hoping that they will find openings sooner rather than later...KGTV does need a co-anchor on weekend evenings.

[MEDIA=twitter]824852833019195393[/MEDIA]

Nothing yet. I'm hopeful its soon that they'll say something, especially in the local news front.

Well, they're going to need some newscasts to fill the schedule.

Not sure how the syndication contracts work, but is it possible to poach some shows from XETV?

I'm curious to see Midwest's approach to this. Do they go all in with what they have as far as newscasts, or do they hold off a bit until they can align everything together and then start them up? We shall see.

Midwest was handed the ball before they were ready, now the question is will they sink or swim???

Here is an excerpt from an article on the San Diego Union Tribune regarding the switch:

KFMB’s Mier y Terán believes that number may be high, but said he has already been in contact with some CW6 news team members about employment possibilities. He envisions the news programming on both KFMB and its new CW affiliate will benefit from new and shared resources.

You’ll be seeing a a completely different newscast (than KFMB’s), customized for that (CW) channel,” said Mier y Terán, who hopes to retain the CW6 name. “And you will not be seeing news at the same time. On KFMB, we don’t have a 4 p.m. or 10 p.m. newscast, so I will run the KFMB newscast on the CW channel at 4 and 10 p.m.

“It will be the same thing in the morning, when KFMB runs a morning newscast from 4:30 a.m. to 7 a.m. and then goes into ‘CBS This Morning, a network show. At 7 a.m. I’ll continue my local news on CW from 7 to 9 a.m. So I will be counter-programming to not compete with my own local news (on KFMB). I’ll be using some of the same local talent. And we’ll be hiring local news talent and photographers.”

Well, they're going to need some newscasts to fill the schedule.

Not sure how the syndication contracts work, but is it possible to poach some shows from XETV?

I'm curious to see Midwest's approach to this. Do they go all in with what they have as far as newscasts, or do they hold off a bit until they can align everything together and then start them up? We shall see.

Midwest was handed the ball before they were ready, now the question is will they sink or swim???

Could Midwest TV sign up and initially broadcast the CW+ initially with some news and then towards the summer when contracts end add syndicated programming?

Could Midwest TV sign up and initially broadcast the CW+ initially with some news and then towards the summer when contracts end add syndicated programming?

The most equal case to this was in La Crosse/Eau Claire in 2006; in the week after the WB/UPN merger was announced, KQEG dumped UPN with no recourse and CBS affiliate WKBT quickly approached UPN with a short-term affiliation agreement (they eventually took MyNet in September). They lit up a subchannel within four days, including a load of bartered syndicated programming and cable carriage, though they took awhile with getting a newscast on. So it can likely be done, and much easier these days when you can get a subchannel network desperate for clearance while you get syndicated shows. But they already have MeTV, so worst that happens is they have to stand annoyed Andy Griffith and McGuyver fans for a couple months in primetime due to pre-emptions.

Here is an excerpt from an article on the San Diego Union Tribune regarding the switch:

Well that sounds encouraging on the KFMB front. I don't think they have any reason to rush it along....

Question of the day...

How long can XETV hold on to the Ch=6 on Spectrum and COX? What about direct TV and Dish?

What is the status of the 3## waiver(s) for cross border transmissions??? Renewed Recently???

More later in the day...

More details from the SD Union Tribune:

On Thursday, that switch-over date was bumped up to May 31, in part because of the CW Network’s wishes, said XETV Vice President and General Manager Chuck Dunning. He cited his station’s inability to agree on a new contract with the CW Network as the reason for CW6’s move to KFMB.

“The contract we had with the CW was up for negotiation in September,” Dunning said Thursday night. “We went back and forth and really couldn’t come to terms. So they went into the marketplace and found that they could do business with KFMB.

“It’s not by choice that we are parting ways with the CW. It’s a very well-run organization, but the business terms just didn’t mesh. … We’ve done a lot of great things at CW6 — it’s just that the clock ran out.

Among other things, it reveals that CW will launch on KFMB's 8.3 subchannel. Looks like MeTV is staying put, and Grit is being kicked off.

More details from the SD Union Tribune:

Among other things, it reveals that CW will launch on KFMB's 8.3 subchannel. Looks like MeTV is staying put, and Grit is being kicked off.

Who gets cable 6??????

Is CW gonna be happy on the upper digital tiers and not basic cable???? Is XETV going to give up Cable 6 after all these years??? How long can they camp that CH-9 crap on Cable 6? Why even keep Ch-6 on cable for XETV anymore (they were very bad) if they just run Spanish stuff nobody will really be watching???

Is XETV really just walking away from what has been a very profitable market for them....just to switch to reruns of El Chavo and leave millions on the table in the USA....after 65+ years???

Interesting...

(chuckle)

Well that sounds encouraging on the KFMB front. I don't think they have any reason to rush it along....

Question of the day...

How long can XETV hold on to the Ch=6 on Spectrum and COX? What about direct TV and Dish?

What is the status of the 3## waiver(s) for cross border transmissions??? Renewed Recently???

More later in the day...

Who gets cable 6??????

Is CW gonna be happy on the upper digital tiers and not basic cable???? Is XETV going to give up Cable 6 after all these years??? How long can they camp that CH-9 crap on Cable 6? Why even keep Ch-6 on cable for XETV anymore (they were very bad) if they just run Spanish stuff nobody will really be watching???

Is XETV really just walking away from what has been a very profitable market for them....just to switch to reruns of El Chavo and leave millions on the table in the USA....after 65+ years???

Interesting...

(chuckle)

For KFMB's GM to say he wants to keep the CW6 brand intact, leads me to believe that they're further along than they're willing to let on. Pretty smart move to roll with the CW6 brand since it's well known and will save them a lot of headaches in terms of promotion.

This whole situation feels like something of an alternate universe. Meet the new CW6, same as the old CW6- sort of....

And from the looks of it, they'll probably bring in a new evening team for the CW- who knows, maybe Jason and Neda? Jason does have some history at channel 8... and the AM team will handle the CW newscast. Given the short time frame, I doubt they get a new set for CW. Maybe more monitors so they can easily change the branding from CBS News 8 to CW 6/8.3

For KFMB's GM to say he wants to keep the CW6 brand intact, leads me to believe that they're further along than they're willing to let on. Pretty smart move to roll with the CW6 brand since it's well known and will save them a lot of headaches in terms of promotion.

This whole situation feels like something of an alternate universe. Meet the new CW6, same as the old CW6- sort of....

And from the looks of it, they'll probably bring in a new evening team for the CW- who knows, maybe Jason and Neda? Jason does have some history at channel 8... and the AM team will handle the CW newscast. Given the short time frame, I doubt they get a new set for CW. Maybe more monitors so they can easily change the branding from CBS News 8 to CW 6/8.3

Oh the horror when we get competing animal shelters on those "adopt a dog" days..

Fun Fact: Neda and Angie Lee attend the same 11am Yoga class at %$#... naw I can't burn that class...

Guest Former Member 207

At this point, it shouldn't be hard for KFMB to buy the "CW6" programming inventory and intellectual property, especially if the plan is to run 8.3 as a separate channel.

Who gets cable 6??????

Interesting...

(chuckle)

There's a bit of a mistake in the U-T article. It says "Galavisión" when the service is actually "Gala TV". The former is a cable channel you can get in the US. The other is Televisa's third network, which actually used to be known as Galavisión. I am going to send in a correction to the newspaper as these are different services.

Its program lineup includes some Telemundo shows, the odd sporting event, some older Televisa programs, but not El Chavo. You can see its schedule here.

The way that article was made sounds like KFMB 8.3 will get The CW AND keep The CW on Cable 6. If so, then XETV's main signal could either be dropped from cable/satellite or moved to another cable slot like Channels 2 or 3 (Channel 4 w/o Cox Cable) because Channels 4-13 are all taken by 4SD, KSWB, XETV (for now), KNSD, KFMB, KUSI, KGTV, KPBS, XEWT (Televisa Regional) and XHDTV (all in that order).

The way that article was made sounds like KFMB 8.3 will get The CW AND keep The CW on Cable 6. If so, then XETV's main signal could either be dropped from cable/satellite or moved to another cable slot like Channels 2 or 3 (Channel 4 w/o Cox Cable) because Channels 4-13 are all taken by 4SD, KSWB, XETV (for now), KNSD, KFMB, KUSI, KGTV, KPBS, XEWT (Televisa Regional) and XHDTV (all in that order).

I don't even see XHUAA, XHJK or XHTIT on SD cable lineups. It will likely be dropped completely.

Since San Diego has heavy cable penetration, it makes sense that KFMB try to keep "CW6" on cable 6. I think that Midwest might try to buy XETV's syndie shows and slot them so as to not confuse viewers. The only difference is that "CW6" now won't have to run the Mexican national anthem at 5AM anymore.

Since San Diego has heavy cable penetration, it makes sense that KFMB try to keep "CW6" on cable 6. I think that Midwest might try to buy XETV's syndie shows and slot them so as to not confuse viewers. The only difference is that "CW6" now won't have to run the Mexican national anthem at 5AM anymore.

And no more electoral or other PSAs!

Archived