San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jacqueline Bennett joins NBC Boston as a weekday meteorologist from XETV in San Diego where she was weekday morning meteorologist. ABC Consulting..

Didn't she follow her hubby down to SD from SF?

Wow that was fast. Yes she did and sad to see her go.

LOL! It's already bad at KTVU. Morning news in SF is just news, no segments.

Since the FOX take over, KTVU had to build a set upstairs with the desk made out of a surfboard. No kitchen yet but hot plates.

The surfboard used to literally be in the middle of newsroom where they'd put all the awards they've won. No joke.

More from TVSpy:

Station vp and GM Chuck Dunning told TVSpy “effective at 12:01am on May 31st, CW6 will be replaced on XETV by a re-transmission of Channel Nine Network from Mexico City. Bay City Television, the operator of CW6 will cease operations at that time.”

More from TVSpy:

Station vp and GM Chuck Dunning told TVSpy “effective at 12:01am on May 31st, CW6 will be replaced on XETV by a re-transmission of Channel Nine Network from Mexico City. Bay City Television, the operator of CW6 will cease operations at that time.”

...Gala TV!? (Which is channel 9 in Mexico City)

Well, that's a head-scratcher. I thought XHBJ had Gala TV programming. Is Grupo Cadena planning to, ahem, unhook from Televisa?

It will air its last news on March 31st but will change operations on May 31st, two months later, leaving The CW without a home in San Diego for at least 3 months.

I'm sure KFMB's affiliation will be expedited.

So in instances like this, for those talent under contract, do they get the remaining contract paid out? Are they then free to work anywhere else in the market?

Also, I'm curious to know if XETV sh*t-canning the CW before the contract termination date was done on purpose as a big middle finger to the network or was it done to rip the band-aid off as quickly as possible and cut costs?

Let's see what happens to the news staff at XETV. The other stations have open vacancies, but not enough to cover all of those being laid off.

As someone who went through a shutdown a long time ago, I can tell you any non-competes should be waived. Post-shutdown, people got a week of salary for each year of service and three months of health benefits. I'm guessing that's too much to ask today.

Also, I'm curious to know if XETV sh*t-canning the CW before the contract termination date was done on purpose as a big middle finger to the network or was it done to rip the band-aid off as quickly as possible and cut costs?

I'd have to guess it's a cost-cutting move as part of the larger cuts being implemented at Televisa. The news op is getting shuttered at the end of the first quarter and the station basically after the last "full" month possible while airing the rest of the CW season.

In addition, Televisa can realize additional savings and bring in some US dollars by selling the Bay City Television assets in the US, such as broadcast equipment, office supplies/miscellany and even the studios themselves. It might want to keep a San Diego sales office, but it could be in a smaller facility.

As someone who went through a shutdown a long time ago, I can tell you any non-competes should be waived. Post-shutdown, people got a week of salary for each year of service and three months of health benefits. I'm guessing that's too much to ask today.

Complete non-issue in California....and XETV/BCTV runs under California law.

I'd have to guess it's a cost-cutting move as part of the larger cuts being implemented at Televisa. The news op is getting shuttered at the end of the first quarter and the station basically after the last "full" month possible while airing the rest of the CW season.

In addition, Televisa can realize additional savings and bring in some US dollars by selling the Bay City Television assets in the US, such as broadcast equipment, office supplies/miscellany and even the studios themselves. It might want to keep a San Diego sales office, but it could be in a smaller facility.

The San Diego sales office can be merged with the Chula Vista office (Energy TV) which is the XEWT/Televisa sales arm in the USA.

The Ronson RD digs are owned and prime real estate. The news building would be ideal for the (other) mexicans.

Expect the news building to be mothballed for the time being...It makes more sense to rent/lease of otherwise use that facility for something besides busting it up for scraps.

But seriously..

It's not done yet at XETV......not just yet....

Update 4:20pm

This is not good...

One long time vendor to XETV reports they owe on past due invoices....

Phone call from accounting going un-returned...

Meanwhile at KFMB...

Blindsided but working to get CW up by Mar31 on the 6 slot on TCI and COX cable.....unclear if "6" is being abandon in the USA for good. BCTV still has all rights to the 6 on cable in SD.

Archived