San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Former Member 207

Wow...I've been reading here about the rumblings of the CW's future in San Diego, but I didn't think KFMB would score the affiliation.

With this, San Diego just surpassed Cincinnati as the biggest U.S. market with the CW affiliation not on a standalone signal (although I would have thought by now that Sinclair would move its CW programming to WSTR from WKRC-D2).

Here are a few options for XETV post-CW

1. Become Univision 6: Televisa might gun for Univision seeing as how they do have a cozy relationship with Univision. However, Entravision won't take losing Univision lying down after just losing Telemundo to NBC.
  2. Move Canal 5 from 6.2 to 6.1: The most logical option for Televisa and definitely the cheapest. XETV won't need a news department and will likely just become a pass-through for Canal 5 in Tijuana.
  3. Go Indie in English or Spanish: Without a network affiliation in either language, XETV will have no programming to draw to the newscasts and will fall behind KUSI (if it hasn't already).
  4. Become My6 San Diego: Not likely, see number 1.

Here are a few options for XETV post-CW

1. Become Univision 6: Televisa might gun for Univision seeing as how they do have a cozy relationship with Univision. However, Entravision won't take losing Univision lying down after just losing Telemundo to NBC.
  2. Move Canal 5 from 6.2 to 6.1: The most logical option for Televisa and definitely the cheapest. XETV won't need a news department and will likely just become a pass-through for Canal 5 in Tijuana.
  3. Go Indie in English or Spanish: Without a network affiliation in either language, XETV will have no programming to draw to the newscasts and will fall behind KUSI (if it hasn't already).
  4. Become My6 San Diego: Not likely, see number 1.

And if they go to Canal 5, expect them to move to PSIP channel 5 as part of the national renumbering. They could even change the calls and completely leave behind XETV as a going concern.

Wow, XETV can't catch a break. They just rebranded their station to CW6 San Diego last year. I feel bad for their news department, this has to be the nail on the coffin. I can't see them remain as an English station (My Network or independent) and outsource their news from someone like KGTV, it's just an over saturated region.

Does anyone think we'll see an expanded morning newscast by News 8 on their new CW station to compete against Fox 5 and KUSI? It seems like a given, especially since they have to reposition/rebrand themselves in the post-Chargers era.

I've been looking at NBC Universal's career section for openings, looks like Telemundo is moving KNSD (sorry if this is old news, it was news to me when I saw it a couple days ago.)

Wow, XETV can't catch a break. They just rebranded their station to CW6 San Diego last year. I feel bad for their news department, this has to be the nail on the coffin. I can't see them remain as an English station (My Network or independent) and outsource their news from someone like KGTV, it's just an over saturated region.

Does anyone think we'll see an expanded morning newscast by News 8 on their new CW station to compete against Fox 5 and KUSI? It seems like a given, especially since they have to reposition/rebrand themselves in the post-Chargers era.

I've been looking at NBC Universal's career section for openings, looks like Telemundo is moving KNSD (sorry if this is old news, it was news to me when I saw it a couple days ago.)

I think KFMB will add morning and 10pm news on its CW subchanel. I'll be surprised if KFMB adds more than just those timeslots.

And if they go to Canal 5, expect them to move to PSIP channel 5 as part of the national renumbering. They could even change the calls and completely leave behind XETV as a going concern.

Neither of those will happen. The IFT actually would have already given XETV channel 5 if it didn't overlap with KTLA in Oceanside. No, really. In fact, most Tijuana stations did not move for this reason, with XHJK (channel 1) and XHTJB (unusual signal pattern with far less signal in SD) moving.

Also, the XETV calls won't be changed. I can't think of a recent moment in which Televisa actually changed the calls of any of its repeaters. Calls don't change very often in Mexican radio and TV, with Tijuana radio being a huge exception to the rule.

I can't help to wonder if this change may have to do with a certain someone taking office tomorrow and wishing to erect a certain something between the US and Mexico....

Did XETV have any issues getting a live network feed from the CW? I know it took FOX getting the NFL for the waiver to broadcast a live network feed as opposed to the tape-delivered content that had been occuring before.

Be that as it may, channel 8 might fire up a newscast on this CW subchannel. To separately BRAND it, they may hire an anchor or two (maybe from channel 6), to act as the ‘face’ of CW, then the content will be filled in by the current crop of reporters, photographers, producers, editors...you get it, from channel 8. So crews, be sure you have TWO sets of mic flags packed, for standups, look lives, teases, bumps and live shots

Be that as it may, channel 8 might fire up a newscast on this CW subchannel. To separately BRAND it, they may hire an anchor or two (maybe from channel 6), to act as the ‘face’ of CW, then the content will be filled in by the current crop of reporters, photographers, producers, editors...you get it, from channel 8. So crews, be sure you have TWO sets of mic flags packed, for standups, look lives, teases, bumps and live shots

In KFMB's press release, it mentions that the new CW channel will have newscasts and other programming. No times have been given, but for sure a 10pm. They could easily add an AM and 4pm newscast. As far hiring goes, I could see them poaching a few peeps from 6, but that's probably the extent of it. 8 should try and poach all of 6's evening team since they really work well together and could continue with theCW brand.

Neither of those will happen. The IFT actually would have already given XETV channel 5 if it didn't overlap with KTLA in Oceanside. No, really. In fact, most Tijuana stations did not move for this reason, with XHJK (channel 1) and XHTJB (unusual signal pattern with far less signal in SD) moving.

Also, the XETV calls won't be changed. I can't think of a recent moment in which Televisa actually changed the calls of any of its repeaters. Calls don't change very often in Mexican radio and TV, with Tijuana radio being a huge exception to the rule.

Thanks for the clarification; I didn't know if the renumbering also applied to the border stations outside of the most obvious conflicts (KRGV for instance). And yup, alot of stations don't really change no matter what.

Thanks for the clarification; I didn't know if the renumbering also applied to the border stations outside of the most obvious conflicts (KRGV for instance). And yup, alot of stations don't really change no matter what.

Tijuana radio does have something of an American-style heritage of callsign changes, though. My personal favorite was 99.3 XHKY -> XHHCR -> XHOCL. When they were XHHCR they were known as Hot Country Radio and branded as "X-HCR". Problem was, there was already an XHCR-FM. I have to wonder if they initially asked for XHCR and were told "sorry, it's in Morelia".

I've written about this before, but some of the old-line FMs actually have their original concessionaire's name in their callsign, which is pretty cool. In a lot of cases, though, FMs (and later AMs) got calls before they got concessionaires.

In KFMB's press release, it mentions that the new CW channel will have newscasts and other programming. No times have been given, but for sure a 10pm. They could easily add an AM and 4pm newscast. As far hiring goes, I could see them poaching a few peeps from 6, but that's probably the extent of it. 8 should try and poach all of 6's evening team since they really work well together and could continue with theCW brand.

Well, XETV was already using a modified version of KFMB's graphics so we know what graphics will be used, LOL. But do we think they'll add any elements to the current set or even create a small new set for the CW news?

Well, XETV was already using a modified version of KFMB's graphics so we know what graphics will be used, LOL. But do we think they'll add any elements to the current set or even create a small new set for the CW news?

They got the dollar menu graphics. KFMB has 2 studios, so theoretically they could build out a new set for the CW newscasts- highly doubtful though, especially if they still brand as CBS News 8 for the CW newscasts. As far as graphics... They will be 4 years old in August, so they're due at the very minimum for a refresh.

No room in the news studio for any additions, but that doesn't rule out a rebuild in the same space. No real room for additions on the news(2nd) floor either. The XETV news building is only 17 years old and is in fine shape. I doubt XETV/ BCTV will let that resource go to waste.

The XETV News building can house a decent size news operation. Remember the FOX newsteam was pretty big...so there is working room. The building is pretty much state of the art and most the equipment is in fine shape. Compared to KBNT which is the size of an Alberto's (local Mexican food chain),,small...poquito .

Sales and Admin are in the older smaller 1story original U.S. building.

No room in the news studio for any additions, but that doesn't rule out a rebuild in the same space. No real room for additions on the news(2nd) floor either. The XETV news building is only 17 years old and is in fine shape. I doubt XETV/ BCTV will let that resource go to waste.

The XETV News building can house a decent size news operation. Remember the FOX newsteam was pretty big...so there is working room. The building is pretty much state of the art and most the equipment is in fine shape. Compared to KBNT which is the size of an Alberto's (local Mexican food chain),,small...poquito .

Sales and Admin are in the older smaller 1story original U.S. building.

Are KFMB's two studios back to back? They're using the old studio as a commercial/Radio promotional space (i.e. radio guests performances, etc.) And it still has pieces of the last set/temp set- basically a storage...

And they just got this current set a few years ago, I doubt they'd get a new set so soon.

525843447_MelKnoeppandJackLaLaneSunup.jpg.ba66ee072acacda845c19711a0c9348e.jpg

Are KFMB's two studios back to back? They're using the old studio as a commercial/Radio promotional space (i.e. radio guests performances, etc.) And it still has pieces of the last set/temp set- basically a storage...

And they just got this current set a few years ago, I doubt they'd get a new set so soon.

You can place another set at KFMB. Sun-Up had a set. I don't know the status of the infrastructure vs digital in the production studio. I don't know if that studio is yet able to accommodate the robotics.

I don't foresee much "investment" in a local KFMB/CW newscast except for a 10pm for now. I think the CW morning show is toast for now. Now if we see a big news commitment to the CW side ie: spending money , then we might expect Midwest TV to be in this for the long run.

If Midwest just "babysits" CW then maybe Midwest could be thinking lean for a while, and shopping itself.

285905792_MelKnoeppBobMillsRaquelWelchSunup.jpg.1254a3fd801fcf7681c034afe508f77d.jpg

Disclaimer: These pics are from the old Downtown studios...I just thought they would be fun to post. yes...that's Raquel Welch.

[ATTACH=full]3603[/ATTACH]

You can place another set at KFMB. Sun-Up had a set. I don't know the status of the infrastructure vs digital in the production studio. I don't know if that studio is yet able to accommodate the robotics.

I don't foresee much "investment" in a local KFMB/CW newscast except for a 10pm for now. I think the CW morning show is toast for now. Now if we see a big news commitment to the CW side ie: spending money , then we might expect Midwest TV to be in this for the long run.

If Midwest just "babysits" CW then maybe Midwest could be thinking lean for a while, and shopping itself.

[ATTACH=full][ATTACH=full]3603[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3604[/ATTACH]

Disclaimer: These pics are from the old Downtown studios...I just thought they would be fun to post. yes...that's Raquel Welch.

Good points. IIRC, the production studio was the old Local 8 studio. Then they moved to the current studio in 2007 when they went HD, and got the new set in 2013is?

I thought it was interesting when they brought Alberto Mier Y Teran on board last year. Things looked like they were going well under Pat Nevin, so I thought Mier y Teran's hire was a bit surprising-- surprising as in they most likely brought him on-board because of his experience at Univision corporate (i.e they're thinking about the long-term future/ownership of the station).

As far the AM newscast. It could be a minimal investment. They already have Dan, Nichelle and Heather there, so how much extra is it going to cost them to do an expanded newscast?

As far the AM newscast. It could be a minimal investment. They already have Dan, Nichelle and Heather there, so how much extra is it going to cost them to do an expanded newscast?

The main reason I say that is most morning shows have to have a kitchen, outdoor space, room for pony's and other shit from the zoo. You have bookers and planners and more people. It's all doable..and if ANY station can pull it off smoothly it's KFMB.

I guess I getting to the old rumors about a KFMB sale....

The commitment to the CW brand will say it all. It could be an all out "take no prisoners" deal with great imaging and talent.

Please don't let it go half assed and just be a placeholder...we expect much more...but don't expect it all at once.

The main reason I say that is most morning shows have to have a kitchen, outdoor space, room for pony's and other shit from the zoo. You have bookers and planners and more people. It's all doable..and if ANY station can pull it off smoothly it's KFMB.

I guess I getting to the old rumors about a KFMB sale....

The commitment to the CW brand will say it all. It could be an all out "take no prisoners" deal with great imaging and talent.

Please don't let it go half assed and just be a placeholder...we expect much more...but don't expect it all at once.

Ahh, I see. Well I'm sure they can really get a cheap kitchen set at the XETV yard sale...

I remember the mid-late 90s/early 00's when they went all out with imaging, set, talent, etc. Arguably some of the best times they've had as a station. They really invested in their product even though they weren't #1. Then towards the end of the "Local 8" days (04-05), they went downhill- content wise, imaging, talent, etc.). Nowadays, they're mailing it in, and honestly what's the incentive to put out more if they're doing really well?

We'll see what happens in the next year. Interesting times for sure. I just hope that if they eventually do decide to sell, that it's not to the likes of Tegna/Sinclair/Nexstar. If anything, the people at 8 deserve to have an owner like COX, Graham or even Meredith...

I think the XETV call letters are cool - I would use it as part of my brand. 6-X. But having a VHF allocation is no longer such a huge advantage as it used to be, especially with the tower 20 miles south of the rest. Reception is far easier with a tower nearby.

LOL! It's already bad at KTVU. Morning news in SF is just news, no segments.

Since the FOX take over, KTVU had to build a set upstairs with the desk made out of a surfboard. No kitchen yet but hot plates.

LOL! It's already bad at KTVU. Morning news in SF is just news, no segments.

Since the FOX take over, KTVU had to build a set upstairs with the desk made out of a surfboard. No kitchen yet but hot plates.

There are no segments because they are afraid as hell they will piss-off some activist / snowflake/ touchy feely group . I say that with all seriousness.

As far as that KTVU hotplate goes,

You should see what a Nexstar TV kitchen looks like....

1968EasyBakeOven.thumb.jpg.94e3448499d379cfc2756a53f8b50de8.jpg

Archived