Oldest sets still in use?

AJClementeFan69

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the KXRM (Colorado Springs) set looks to have had some pretty significant facelifts...seems like the underpinnings date back to ca. 2001-2004....

(NewscastStudio)

kxrm_1.jpg

This is a market and a station in which I wouldn't mind seeing the Nexstar standard set and variation of this logo... Also the website should become PikesPeakProud.com It's an alliteration begging to be used.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Fox 21 Right Now News". Is that the title of the KXRM newscast? Sure looks like it.

FOX 21 News at (xx:xx) Right NOW

I think that's how the VO says it but its still FOX 21 News. KHQ did something like this not too long ago...

"Q6 Local News - 11 at 11:00 Right NOW"

You'll find a sample of this on NMSA.

Hearst seems good for treating their well performing stations well but if not don't expect much - look at how many aren't HD. That being said they're apparently good to work for, are good at rolling out graphics/Weather ability across their portfolio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeKFiiNCYw

That refresh did not last long at all. It was horrible!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has brought up WSVN. The Plex debuted in 1994 and has seen many refreshes since.

I found this gem on YouTube of the pre-Newsplex setup in 1989. You can see, the newsroom was adjacent to the area that served as the backdrop for the set/main studio. Another set in the newsroom was used for the 5:30 and 6:30 newscasts (at least in the late 80s).

Does anyone know what happened to this studio? Was it transformed into today's newsplex? Is the old newsroom used at all today? I know WSVN has limited space at the North Bay Village property.

I'm surprised no one has brought up WSVN. The Plex debuted in 1994 and has seen many refreshes since.

I found this gem on YouTube of the pre-Newsplex setup in 1989. You can see, the newsroom was adjacent to the area that served as the backdrop for the set/main studio. Another set in the newsroom was used for the 5:30 and 6:30 newscasts (at least in the late 80s).

Does anyone know what happened to this studio? Was it transformed into today's newsplex? Is the old newsroom used at all today? I know WSVN has limited space at the North Bay Village property.

It looks like that pre-Plex setup is too small to hold today's Newsplex studio. If anything, its probably part of the newsroom now and I think they still have that newsroom look as of today. Its hidden behind the Newsplex and today, they never show the Newsroom now.

Since I came out of a ~decade-long posting hibernation... WSET's current set dates to at

, and I think more like '01 or '02, with very little change. It debuted with a "complete makeover" that included their current logo. It looks terribly outdated now with the recent set makeovers at WDBJ and WSLS. WSET definitely seems to have taken over the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mantra in the market from WDBJ over the past decade, and I'm not sure how much can be expected from Sinclair now. The CRT's along the top of the set are kept off-shot now.

3a555ff933f6cc78567c43a712b9734d.jpg

Since I came out of a ~decade-long posting hibernation... WSET's current set dates to at
, and I think more like '01 or '02, with very little change. It debuted with a "complete makeover" that included their current logo. It looks terribly outdated now with the recent set makeovers at WDBJ and WSLS. WSET definitely seems to have taken over the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mantra in the market from WDBJ over the past decade, and I'm not sure how much can be expected from Sinclair now. The CRT's along the top of the set are kept off-shot now.

Not to mention its several years of use at sister station WJLA before being handed down to WSET...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=FkXj4-zpyRA;m=21;s=56

That "studio" looks more like an office with a news desk and cameras in it...

I would assume that the current "Newsplex" is actually a studio that, at the time this was filmed, was used for other things. Newsroom sets like this were popular in the 80's because technology (the cameras mostly) was finally small enough that they could throw two or three cameras in a corner and free up the actual studio(s) for more lucrative work like commercial production. But the 90's came along, commercial production started to require less room (keep in mind many special effects were still "practical effects" in the 80's, especially at the local level) and people decided everything had to be bigger, thus the Newsplex as we know it came to be.

3a555ff933f6cc78567c43a712b9734d.jpg

Wow. That set is way, way past it's sell-by date, even for a small market. That set would be embarrassing for a school news set at this point.

is still being used by KSNT down the road and in a highly bastardized form. They donated it to KSNT in 2008 after they went HD, and once KSNT went HD they updated the set twice by keeping the bare frames and replacing everything else with duratrans.
update to it several years ago, and

So in the likely 15+ year old sets at the same station with basically the same underpinnings, in top 100 markets, we have, at least:

WJZ

WSET

WISC

KXRM

WSVN's recent refresh was way too transformative to count it IMO. Same "newsroom set" principle but different set IMO.

KTUL's seems quite old. Not sure it's that old though.

Now that I remember, WWSB in Sarasota has had the same basic set since it moved into its then-new building in 2001. The color scheme/duratrans have changed, but it's the same desk, same wood-grain, etc. But whether that really qualifies as being in a Top 100 is up for debate. Not sure where Sarasota/Bradenton would rank if it were it's own market.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the one station that still has the same old set since mostly around WJZ's time...

WJXT The One and Only Channel 4.

Other than refreshes, the same old set since the late 90s during CBS' time. The only thing that was really new since that time were the backdrops and maybe some new lighting here and there. Other than that, stilp the same old set.

EDIT: Even with a change in desk and adding video boards, the set is still old.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the one station that still has the same old set since mostly around WJZ's time...

WJXT The One and Only Channel 4.

Other than refreshes, the same old set since the late 90s during CBS' time. The only thing that was really new since that time were the backdrops and maybe some new lighting here and there. Other than that, stilp the same old set.

EDIT: Even with a change in desk and adding video boards, the set is still old.

There is a picture I remember seeing in Broadcasting & Cable back when Frank and Karmazin had their little tiff showing an area at the back of WJXT's studios where all the "eyes" were dumped. It was really surreal especially given the pettiness of why the switch happened.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder where WNYT would qualify. The background on the main set dates back to 1995 but just about everything else is younger. The weather center dates to 2004, the desk and stand up area to 2012, and the interview/kitchen areas saw slight updates when they went HD.

tumblr_om3dyu1grZ1uio0ato1_400.jpg

Here's what the weather center looked like prior to 2004.

• 2 months later...

KFOR-TV their current set for the most part hasn't changed a whole lot (the only thing that has changed to the set has been the addition to the duratrons setting as a divider between the newsroom and the set) and that's about it.

The good news is that old outdated set will only remain until sometime in August as they're moving into the new building and they're going to get a new set based off of sister station WPIX in New York (btw who designed that set for WPIX?) if someone can tell me let me know, thanks

Archived