NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were the Storm Buggy's shipped as completed units?

Are all these Ram based NBC units being built by the same folks?

Who?

Shook, Wolfe? Frontline?

Is that a Ford or Dodge in the pic cuz I sure cannot tell.

It's possible it's still waiting to be outfitted..or not.

I think it would be funny if it was the

"NBC Breaking News Ranger / Stomper739-T20"

That would so-pisss-off KGTV and Paul Indrag's "Breaking News Tracker"

Ground war first?

Then to the Air^^^^^^^?

Who?

Shook, Wolfe? Frontline?

By Accelerated Media Technology of Massachusetts. They've been NBC's go to source for live trucks and weather vehicles. You can see photos on their Facebook page.

By Accelerated Media Technology of Massachusetts. They've been NBC's go to source for live trucks and weather vehicles. You can see photos on their Facebook page.

Nice stuff...

Now i'm really intrerested because I would think AMT would ship a completed custom rig. I guess we shall see...because I'm stumped..

Looks like it's going to definitely going to be Telemundo 20.

[MEDIA=instagram]BSzeyLAluWf[/MEDIA]

Wow! NBC using a channel branding for their new Telemundo subchannel! KFMB ought to try that, yanno...

Maybe it's like the Storm Chaser 5 that WMAQ has. But seriously they don't need a dedicated truck for that.

Maybe with two stations now they can afford a helicopter.

They should be able to afford that chopper, but of course it will never happen. Although, it would make a great marketing tool to go along with the new truck...

Who?

Shook, Wolfe? Frontline?

Is that a Ford or Dodge in the pic cuz I sure cannot tell.

It's possible it's still waiting to be outfitted..or not.

I think it would be funny if it was the

"NBC Breaking News Ranger / Stomper739-T20"

That would so-pisss-off KGTV and Paul Indrag's "Breaking News Tracker"

Ground war first?

Then to the Air^^^^^^^?

There's a promo to be made showing off this new NBC 7 Breaking News First Alert Storm Ranger Thunder Chaser Jr. and have it bitch slap that KGTV Prius out of the way. Of course, KNSD doesn't operate that way since they're so plain jane with everything they do..

KNSD doesn't operate that way since they're so plain jane with everything they do..

Their creative services dept has no creativity, the body wraps were an upgrade but still basic with the skyline and logo on the sat truck. At least add NEWS or Coverage YOU Count On.

Their creative services dept has no creativity, the body wraps were an upgrade but still basic with the skyline and logo on the sat truck. At least add NEWS or Coverage YOU Count On.

Remember, it costs them extra for the vowels.

So, the less letters, the more they save. Lol.

but yeah, you're right. Although, I'm withholding judgement until I can see the finished product. The picture of the sat truck looks like it was taken when they were halfway done with it.

Remember, it costs them extra for the vowels.

So, the less letters, the more they save. Lol.

NBC Bay Area wins the best van design out of the O&O group. "The Investigative Unit." LOL

You know what I hate... BAD NEWS HEADLINES.

Mexican broadcasting news stories can be bad, because few people have a grasp of what's going on. (Especially when news agencies rehash the IFT's press releases.)

Remember how the IFT told XHAS "you can't broadcast the same program in HD and SD at the same time"? What should have been an inane, technical headline instead turns into shockingly bad articles from major Mexican newspapers.

So along comes El Universal, with the headline "IFT denies transmission of Telemundo on two channels". Never mind that the story is nearly a month late (the matter was discussed at the IFT's March 22 meeting). It's so dry as to be confusing for the average reader, ESPECIALLY given that the station is barely Mexican.

And then we got Nicolás Lucas, normally a great columnist and writer on telecommunications matters over at El Economista, decrying that the decision the IFT made, based on the argument that they could double their ad time (which was mentioned, but in this case would not necessarily be true), was a case of interference.

Neither article, of course, discusses the fact that by the time the request (dated November) made it to the IFT's commissioners, it was stale and the station was to lose its network affiliation agreement.

Not surprising that they were looking to hire bilingual journalists. In fact, weekend weather anchor Llarisa Abreu (when she first arrived) mentioned that one of the things the station was looking for was to hire a bilingual weather anchor (this was a few months before word got out of KNSD taking the Telemundo affiliation in house).

As for the set, the background looks like KNSD's, except it has a bit more wood.

Will they have a reporter or two based Tijuana?

Highly doubtful since that would be an expense they may want to have. XHAS already had a studio/facility in Tijuana so it was easier to base some reporters there, but T20 may rely on having their reporters cross into/out of TJ for stories.

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't add a morning newscast on T20. There is zero competition in the AM for the spanish-speaking station, so it's money they're missing out on. Who knows, maybe they'll add one in the future.

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't add a morning newscast on T20. There is zero competition in the AM for the spanish-speaking station, so it's money they're missing out on. Who knows, maybe they'll add one in the future.

I guess its all about taking baby steps. But then NBC hasn't launched an morning newscast in the news ops they've launched in Philly & the Rio Grande Valley either. And the latter is another border market like San Diego.

Now, they also didn't mentioned anything about weekends either. Maybe that might come later down the road. Maybe it's probably wise to just concentrate on these weeknight shows first. And then if it all goes well, then expand.

Not surprising that they were looking to hire bilingual journalists. In fact, weekend weather anchor Llarisa Abreu (when she first arrived) mentioned that one of the things the station was looking for was to hire a bilingual weather anchor (this was a few months before word got out of KNSD taking the Telemundo affiliation in house).

As for the set, the background looks like KNSD's, except it has a bit more wood.

Wow,

Looks like Artie Ojeda got kicked to the curb...still stuck on weekends after all these years.

Wow,

Looks like Artie Ojeda got kicked to the curb...still stuck on weekends after all these years.

He's no longer anchoring weekends. He's a dayside reporter during the week. Basically, they did to him what they did to Rory Devine (pull them off the desk and stick them to reporting, after many years on the desk). Omari Fleming took his spot on the Weekend PM news.

But don't be surprised to see Llarisa fill in for the Telemundo weather chick when she's out. Just like MJ will be doing sports for both NBC7/T20. Double Duty whenever/wherever possible.

He's no longer anchoring weekends. He's a dayside reporter during the week. Basically, they did to him what they did to Rory Devine (pull them off the desk and stick them to reporting, after many years on the desk). Omari Fleming took his spot on the Weekend PM news.

But don't be surprised to see Llarisa fill in for the Telemundo weather chick when she's out. Just like MJ will be doing sports for both NBC7/T20. Double Duty whenever/wherever possible.

Ahhhh

And they call America one big melting pot.

I don't envy anyone at that place, because unless a giant majority of your newsroom speaks Spanish, then this is a pain in the ass to implement.

Are all the video editors bi-lingual?

How many producers speak Spanish?

How does the assignment desk handle the Spainsh ? Do you ALWAYS have someone available to translate...ALWAYS???

Just watch, and in a few months all Telemundo will get is KNSD's tailings from the days events. Re-dubbed stories and a lot of bad translations.

The Spanish speaking interns will be busy translating 24/7...because KNSD won't be able to afford real bi-lingual staffers without a nice pay boost . Most companies pay a nice bonus for truly bi-lingual employees...not the "garbage Spanish"( ie: bad translations) many speak here.

Sucks to be them.

Ahhhh

And they call America one big melting pot.

I don't envy anyone at that place, because unless a giant majority of your newsroom speaks Spanish, then this is a pain in the ass to implement.

Are all the video editors bi-lingual?

How many producers speak Spanish?

How does the assignment desk handle the Spainsh ? Do you ALWAYS have someone available to translate...ALWAYS???

Just watch, and in a few months all Telemundo will get is KNSD's tailings from the days events. Re-dubbed stories and a lot of bad translations.

The Spanish speaking interns will be busy translating 24/7...because KNSD won't be able to afford real bi-lingual staffers without a nice pay boost . Most companies pay a nice bonus for truly bi-lingual employees...not the "garbage Spanish"( ie: bad translations) many speak here.

Sucks to be them.

That's what I was wondering as well. How well do they have their basis covered to ensure that this outlet puts out a respectable product? Because if they half-bake this, then it's going to be a big failure. Latinos tend to be more news consumers, and I can guarantee they won't put up with any garbage reporting.

I'm expecting- at least at the beginning, a lot of stories being plucked out of the other Telemundo O&O's to fill air time. One thing I haven't heard is what do they plan on doing for Live reports? Do they send an NBC 7 reporter and a T20 reporter to the same story? or do they send one bilingual reporter to report for both outlets?

Also, the news folks at KNSD need to remember one BIG thing: Conversational Spanish is not always appropriate for television news (not due to bad language). If they go in with a mentality that just because one of their employees can speak Spanish, they're good to go on air at Telemundo, then they're making a grave mistake.

You can share resources, but they MUST remember that they're catering to 2 different audiences. Also, we can't forget that XHAS is not going away entirely (not yet at least). T20 will be competing with UNV17/XHAS for viewers, so they cannot afford to screw this up.

That's what I was wondering as well. How well do they have their basis covered to ensure that this outlet puts out a respectable product? Because if they half-bake this, then it's going to be a big failure. Latinos tend to be more news consumers, and I can guarantee they won't put up with any garbage reporting.

I'm expecting- at least at the beginning, a lot of stories being plucked out of the other Telemundo O&O's to fill air time. One thing I haven't heard is what do they plan on doing for Live reports? Do they send an NBC 7 reporter and a T20 reporter to the same story? or do they send one bilingual reporter to report for both outlets?

Also, the news folks at KNSD need to remember one BIG thing: Conversational Spanish is not always appropriate for television news (not due to bad language). If they go in with a mentality that just because one of their employees can speak Spanish, they're good to go on air at Telemundo, then they're making a grave mistake.

You can share resources, but they MUST remember that they're catering to 2 different audiences. Also, we can't forget that XHAS is not going away entirely (not yet at least). T20 will be competing with UNV17/XHAS for viewers, so they cannot afford to screw this up.

I think you actually said that much better than me.

Hope they remember KBNT is an all Spanish newsroom.

Just the workflow will be a major bitch. Will ENPS convert all the scripts automatically? Who will proof the scripts? You will NEED to proof ALL of them...and in every cast....no exceptions. That alone will drive you nuts.

KNSD is far from that.

The difference WILL show. It's one thing to try to pass this off in Boston or Peroia...but yup...boff it here, and it will hurt.

I think you actually said that much better than me.

Hope they remember KBNT is an all Spanish newsroom.

Just the workflow will be a major bitch. Will ENPS convert all the scripts automatically? Who will proof the scripts? You will NEED to proof ALL of them...and in every cast....no exceptions. That alone will drive you nuts.

KNSD is far from that.

The difference WILL show. It's one thing to try to pass this off in Boston or Peroia...but yup...boff it here, and it will hurt.

No doubt. This is going to be a big test for all the on-air peeps of T20. They're going to be expected to actually do the work of 3-4 people since they're going to be working with limited [spanish-speaking] staff.

On a side note, i'm curious to know what the power structure at KNSD will be like. Does Greg Dawson have authority over T20's ND Pedro Calderon, or are they equals? This might be a bit hairy since they'll be sharing talent...

On a side note, i'm curious to know what the power structure at KNSD will be like. Does Greg Dawson have authority over T20's ND Pedro Calderon, or are they equals? This might be a bit hairy since they'll be sharing talent...

Oh that IS a good question.

This could be more fun than we thought.

Archived