NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt KUSI really wanted it. Also, I wonder if this enhances KFMB's affiliation with CBS--as in, do they get more favorable terms from CBS for having both affiliations? I feel bad for the folks at XETV, but it's not surprising given that they've been losing quite a few folks in the last few months. The writing has been on the wall for a while.

As for branding... wonder if they go with CW 8 (.2)? or CW San Diego? and for their newscasts, CBS News 8 at 10pm on CW 8.2 San Diego. :p Maybe they can hire some of the XETV folks for the new outlet.

I doubt KUSI really wanted it. Also, I wonder if this enhances KFMB's affiliation with CBS--as in, do they get more favorable terms from CBS for having both affiliations? I feel bad for the folks at XETV, but it's not surprising given that they've been losing quite a few folks in the last few months. The writing has been on the wall for a while.

As for branding... wonder if they go with CW 8 (.2)? or CW San Diego? and for their newscasts, CBS News 8 at 10pm on CW 8.2 San Diego. :p Maybe they can hire some of the XETV folks for the new outlet.

Heather jumped ship quick and Jason is probably regretting going to XETv

So that's 2 American network affiliation agreements ending on San Diego stations with transmitters in Mexico...

Trump effect? (Probably not, but interesting considering the timing...)

I think it's more of the lucrative nature of the business.

curious as to what happens to XETV's English operations

It will go from:

Bye Felicia

to

Hola Felicia

Felicia better learn Spanish...and quick.

Entravision is actually not in good shape. It has been progressively cutting back news at some of its stations, particularly in fringe time slots. This is worrisome even though Entravision as a whole has precious few Telemundo outlets (ZGS and now Serestar, the latter headed by a former exec at Entravision, fill Entravision's role at Telemundo).

As to XHAS itself, I don't know what it's going to do. Would Entravision want to operate a local independent? Perhaps bring in Multimedios, which while farfetched-sounding does own a radio station in this market? This is the biggest change there since 1990 when they were pretty much shagged out of the Televisa stable.

With the way Univision and Televisa are folding up with each other since the waiver was approved and Azteca really the only other option outside Telemundo, this would probably be for the best (Estrella is just a mess with all of the internal issues, including sexual harassment); Multimedios has been really trying to expand in the US, but they can only do so much from just Monterrey and their station in Houston still under the 20% foreign ownership cap (they just cancelled a Costa Rica-focused show to go after that diaspora after getting on cable there; they know the US is where the money's at). Having a production base in BC would help them go after the Southern California market, with none of the restrictions they face with their American OTA network of stations where they pretty much have as much say as your average Jewelry Television affiliate. XHAS won't survive with at all with LATV (which Multimedios stopped providing programming to a few months back to keep it all in-house, and rightly so; their editors were horrid to the shows they provided).

I'm calling it now! XETV moves Canal 5 from 6.2 to 6.1.

That is also a really likely outcome for one reason.

Mexico might not actually permit dual-HD multiplexing of stations because in MPEG-2, HD feeds must maintain a minimum bitrate of 10 Mbps. (This is a fairly new restriction.)

If Bay City Television is floundering, that would be a cheap option.

As to Multimedios, the synergies of their La Caliente grupera station (XHHIT 95.3) might not be bad, though it's a one-station cluster.

Recently MM acquired three Tampico stations under either an LMA or a sale (they own a TV station in Tampico) and it's conceivable that they're in the running for TV stations in markets like Chihuahua, Ciudad Cuauhtémoc and San Luis Potosí where they also have a radio presence.

Making a deal to operate XHAS would get them out of what could be an expensive IFT-6 auction and get them to air a lot sooner than through the auction.

So in the span of one week or so:

*The Chargers bolted for LA (pun intended)

*XHAS loses the Telemundo affiliation

*XETV loses the CW affiliation

What's next? KUSI gets a new set? I may have a heart attack if that were to happen.

So in the span of one week or so:

*The Chargers bolted for LA (pun intended)

*XHAS loses the Telemundo affiliation

*XETV loses the CW affiliation

What's next? KUSI gets a new set? I may have a heart attack if that were to happen.

You forgot... we also lost Shamu.

I know this is a long shot...

Would anybody possibly see KNSD as this opportunity to move Telemundo from XHAS to XETV (buying it of course before moving it) or possibly have MyTV move from XDTV to XETV? I mean, moving MyTV would be best for XETV to keep its news operations in English alive. Otherwise, goodbye to FOX 6/San Diego 6/CW 6 News as we know it.

Again, such a long shot.

Guest Former Member 207
Rumors were that Tribune had turned down FOX first, then the suits reluctantly went to McKinnon/KUSI to see if they were interested in taking the FOX affiliation, before Sam Zell/Tribune found out and called FOX to ask about the offer. McKinnon and FOX have had a testy relationship over the years, if i'm not mistaken.

KUSI tried twice in the 90s to get the local Fox affiliation from XETV, and in the second instance, they (KUSI) went to the U.S. Court of Appeals due in part to Fox's new NFL contract at the time, and the FCC bylaws then didn't allow out-of-country licensed TV stations to carry live sports without getting waivers. It's not too different from what happened to XETV in the 70s when ABC was forced on to then-KCST. In nearly 64 years of broadcasting, XETV keeps chugging along despite losing now its third network affiliation (second in almost a decade).

I know this is a long shot...

Would anybody possibly see KNSD as this opportunity to move Telemundo from XHAS to XETV (buying it of course before moving it) or possibly have MyTV move from XDTV to XETV? I mean, moving MyTV would be best for XETV to keep its news operations in English alive. Otherwise, goodbye to FOX 6/San Diego 6/CW 6 News as we know it.

Again, such a long shot.

Highly doubtful- Comcast wants everything in-house, and it's cheaper/easier to park Telemundo on KNSD's subchannel rather than buy another station.

XETV is run on the cheap, almost KUSI cheap. Eat News has alluded to Televisa's plans for the station, and honestly, if you really think about it, it makes A LOT of sense. So unfortunately it will be the end of the news department-at least in English.

Also, Entravision runs XDTV, and seeing as they have lost the Telemundo affiliation, and possibly Univision, they may not want to part with MyTV.

Highly doubtful- Comcast wants everything in-house, and it's cheaper/easier to park Telemundo on KNSD's subchannel rather than buy another station.

XETV is run on the cheap, almost KUSI cheap. Eat News has alluded to Televisa's plans for the station, and honestly, if you really think about it, it makes A LOT of sense. So unfortunately it will be the end of the news department-at least in English.

Also, Entravision runs XDTV, and seeing as they have lost the Telemundo affiliation, and possibly Univision, they may not want to part with MyTV.

I can tell you 100% that the desired outcome at XETV is a Univision / Televisa/ Bay Cities TV relationship. The news dept would continue to operate in the USA at the Ronson Rd. Studio.

Things are moving quickly ,but really up in the air at this time. This is NOT a done deal.

XETV could also just pull the plug on US ops all together, but that would devalue the station, so they may just run indy for now until the proper contractual obligations are satisfied and the Uni/Tele merge, IPO or whatever happens.

"A younger skewing multi language hybrid catering to both sides of the border."

I can tell you 100% that the desired outcome at XETV is a Univision / Televisa/ Bay Cities TV relationship. The news dept would continue to operate in the USA at the Ronson Rd. Studio.

Things are moving quickly ,but really up in the air at this time. This is NOT a done deal.

XETV could also just pull the plug on US ops all together, but that would devalue the station, so they may just run indy for now until the proper contractual obligations are satisfied and the Uni/Tele merge, IPO or whatever happens.

"A younger skewing multi language hybrid catering to both sides of the border."

What a clusterf*ck. If enough people keep jumping ship at 6, then they'd have no choice but to shut the news operations down--unless they're willing to hire more people.

Archived