NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

I have this weird feeling XHAS's news operation will be a target in the next round of Entravision cuts. You know they're going to happen.

No doubt. In fact, I was very surprised that they just didn't shut the news operation down when they announced the affiliation change. That being said, I give this operation 1 year before they pull the plug unless they can somehow manage to get ahold of the Mexican audience and keep those eyeballs glued on the channel--which honestly, I think this is what Entravision hopes will happen. They know that they will never be able to compete on the same level as T20, but they might be able to beat them at their game on the Mexican side.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They know that they will never be able to compete on the same level as T20, but they might be able to beat them at their game on the Mexican side.

They will need to compete with XEWT and run a dirty newscast...not a clean Americanized show.

XEWT gets down and dirty...none of that sanitized MixMex bullshit.

XHAS is toast...I think we ALL agree on that.

What's the o/u?

Who is holding the money?

They will need to compete with XEWT and run a dirty newscast...not a clean Americanized show.

XEWT gets down and dirty...none of that sanitized MixMex bullshit.

XHAS is toast...I think we ALL agree on that.

What's the o/u?

Who is holding the money?

I'd say 9 years, then they'll lose the azteca affiliation to KFMB, then will be forced to layoff its news department before completely shutting down.:p

In all honesty thought, i'd give it a year and then you'll get a glimpse as to what they plan to do. If they cut the 11pm newscast before this time next year, then you know for sure the news department shuts down completely not long after that.

I'd say 9 years, then they'll lose the azteca affiliation to KFMB, then will be forced to layoff its news department before completely shutting down.:p

In all honesty thought, i'd give it a year and then you'll get a glimpse as to what they plan to do. If they cut the 11pm newscast before this time next year, then you know for sure the news department shuts down completely not long after that.

OK...

I won't be one of those TPIR idiots that bid $701 when the mope next to them bids $700...

I say it's done by the May 2018 book.

Are those bids or guesses?

OK...

I won't be one of those TPIR idiots that bid $701 when the mope next to them bids $700...

I say it's done by the May 2018 book.

Are those bids or guesses?

bid me at late 2018 (Nov/Dec.)

bid me at late 2018 (Nov/Dec.)

I just watched some of the XHAS 11p show...

It's been a long time since I watched that show.

I actually like it better...much more of an organic feel. The Anchorette meets all expectations...and displayed nice fan service.

Now I never professed to be a set or graphics person...so set and graphic purist be nice to me.

I like the set....I like the colors...I like the look. I think I like it because it's way different from what we are used to....but not too radical.

I will break it out a bit more after I see some A-blocks in the 5 and 11p...missed the A and most the B tonight.

WX was simple...just one shot at the big screen with charts and graphs...no hype fur sure.

I'm having a ton of trouble with the online live stream. I'm using an iPad where the stream won't load in the App, in Safari or Chrome. I couldnt load it either on a laptop using Chrome. I got nothing - no preroll ads. Meanwhile the rest of the Telemundo and NBC owned sites work fine.

If possible could someone please take a video?

The graphics are not bad. I'm not a fan of the flat look, but it'll do. If they kept the same set from the T33 days, then it's a virtual set with a hard desk.

The graphics are not bad. I'm not a fan of the flat look, but it'll do. If they kept the same set from the T33 days, then it's a virtual set with a hard desk.

Flat look as in everything looks flat or graphically? There is a certain lack of depth.

And when looking on RabbitEars.Info about new KUAN translator. Fun Fact it's operated by Titan Broadcast Management. Titan Broadcast Management is a company owned by Sinclair providing management and operations for TV stations. It doesn't seem like a typical shell company but rather Management.

Flat look as in everything looks flat or graphically? There is a certain lack of depth.

And when looking on RabbitEars.Info about new KUAN translator. Fun Fact it's operated by Titan Broadcast Management. Titan Broadcast Management is a company owned by Sinclair providing management and operations for TV stations. It doesn't seem like a typical shell company but rather Management.

The graphics are flat. The set is almost virtual, like I said earlier with the exception of the desk. Previously, the background and the standup area used the Telemundo gfx package. Now the background behind the desk is a scenic shot of San Diego.

The graphics are flat. The set is almost virtual, like I said earlier with the exception of the desk. Previously, the background and the standup area used the Telemundo gfx package. Now the background behind the desk is a scenic shot of San Diego.

I didn't even have a clue that that was a virtual set...shows how much I pay attention to sets and graphics.

The "scenic" shot behind the set looked like a shot of Plaza Rio in TJ....or over near Adalitas in Zona Rojo.

Walking-in-Tijuana-looking-at-Whores-Prostitutes(non-nude)-46.jpg.4b9a39aa43634fdc0d3c29c186b235b2.jpg

It's a real set that seems to have lack depth. I do not know about the prior Telemundo station's set.

It's a real set that seems to have lack depth. I do not know about the prior Telemundo station's set.

Shows how much i'm paying attention. It's not the same set that they had when it was a Telemundo affiliate. The first day I checked it out, the shot was tight, so all I saw was the top of the desk and background. I just saw a video on their FB page, and the desk is different- still a hard desk, but everything else is keyed in. You can tell because there's a greenish glow from the anchor lady's leg [insert EatNews joke here].

Here's an open/set view during the T33 days

Shows how much i'm paying attention. It's not the same set that they had when it was a Telemundo affiliate. The first day I checked it out, the shot was tight, so all I saw was the top of the desk and background. I just saw a video on their FB page, and the desk is different- still a hard desk, but everything else is keyed in. You can tell because there's a greenish glow from the anchor lady's leg [insert EatNews joke here].

I remember that old set also...

As far as that green glow...

I think I can work with it....and that background pic IS one of the traffic circles in Zona Rio.

Did you know one of the traffic circles has a giant statue of Abe Lincoln in the middle of it?

I remember that old set also...

As far as that green glow...

I think I can work with it....and that background pic IS one of the traffic circles in Zona Rio.

Did you know one of the traffic circles has a giant statue of Abe Lincoln in the middle of it?

I'm not sure where they're based out of now. Hard to say if they're in Kearny Mesa or in TJ. Either way, the last hard set they had was back about 5-6 years ago. SFTV posted the pics earlier in the thread. Then about 3-4 years ago, they went with the virtual-ish set, and now we have this set--which looks good, a bit cleaner.

Crap. I was thinking you were talking about the new T20 set.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Telemundo 20 has landed on Izzi Tijuana, channel 72 (which would give it among the lowest numbers outside of the Mexican broadcast stations). No promotion or anything, and the program guide shows the "UTV" channel that previously occupied that position, according to Facebook comments.

Their Twitter reach, by the way, is abysmal, with just 477 followers. They have 15,000 Facebook likes.

I identified getting on Izzi as a major priority. Next is Dish.

It appears that Telemundo 20 has landed on Izzi Tijuana, channel 72 (which would give it among the lowest numbers outside of the Mexican broadcast stations). No promotion or anything, and the program guide shows the "UTV" channel that previously occupied that position, according to Facebook comments.

Their Twitter reach, by the way, is abysmal, with just 477 followers. They have 15,000 Facebook likes.

I identified getting on Izzi as a major priority. Next is Dish.

Do they have to pay Izzi for the placement?

Do they have to pay Izzi for the placement?

My guess is that they are being paid to carry Telemundo 20, but the placement was probably determined by them. It's below all the other US stations.

20 is already in use on that system and cannot be allocated to anything but the channel that's there. Because of the IFT virtual channel-to-cable channel guidelines enacted in March, cable providers (with digital systems) cannot place a non-broadcast station (where "broadcast" = "Mexican broadcast") in the same range as broadcast stations. In practice, this means that 70 is the lowest position available. (The highest VC in use in Mexico is 66, but 67-69 aren't touched either.)

Edit: It's official as of July 21.

• 1 month later...

Looks like NBC will be buying this KUAN Poway translator for $650K.

Archived