NBC launching new Telemundo San Diego O&O

A3N

I was primarily curious about Azteca América relative to the Mexican Azteca networks, but that's a good answer. Doesn't seem like it'd be a big loss.

XHAS would definitely be among this network's stronger affiliates but may not be enough to keep the news department around.

XHAS wouldn't be able to sustain a news department with just the Azteca America affiliation. They might be able to put on a newscast if they have KBNT produce it. But it's very telling that Scripps never re-started the AA newscast--meaning they probably couldn't make money from it.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
XHAS wouldn't be able to sustain a news department with just the Azteca America affiliation. They might be able to put on a newscast if they have KBNT produce it. But it's very telling that Scripps never re-started the AA newscast--meaning they probably couldn't make money from it.

They can have a news department if they want to. After all, WGEN has a news department and its with Azteca America.

They can have a news department if they want to. After all, WGEN has a news department and its with Azteca America.

Yes, but they aren't operated by Entravision. If Entravision can't make money to cover the expenses of a news department, then they won't have one. Look at what the company has done over the last few years to the news departments at the dozens of stations they own and operate across the country.

The fate of a Spanish-language news department in Miami does not translate outside of South Florida. Not even to a border market.

Yes, but they aren't operated by Entravision. If Entravision can't make money to cover the expenses of a news department, then they won't have one. Look at what the company has done over the last few years to the news departments at the dozens of stations they own and operate across the country.

You make a good point. Entravision has been axing newscasts, and some news operations, left and right in recent years.

Like I said earlier, they can [continue to] have newscasts on XHAS, post- Telemundo, only if they're produced by KBNT- but standalone, no. Why waste more money for a separate news department (that cannot sustain itself), when you already employ one that can (and will) handle the additional duties?

Also, you have to keep in mind that Entravision invested the bare minimum for a newscast/news department for XHAS--and I suspect only because they were forced to. If they didn't have the LiveU backpacks, then they would have never had the ability to do live remotes. I remember that they started off with a dual anchor format, then for several years, went to a solo anchor format-- then the main male anchor disappeared for several months, and came back while his co-anchor left, came back and left again. It's a very weird operation. Not to mention, that they share several reporters with KBNT.

The fate of a Spanish-language news department in Miami does not translate outside of South Florida. Not even to a border market.

You make a good point. Entravision has been axing newscasts, and some news operations, left and right in recent years.

I still just don't get it...

Mexican stations now are #1 in news in most major cities, yet those same stations still claim poverty to employees and vendors.

Why are they so poor if they are #1?

I still just don't get it...

Mexican stations now are #1 in news in most major cities, yet those same stations still claim poverty to employees and vendors.

Why are they so poor if they are #1?

Blame it on the peso.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I dont have the log in to that site so if anybody can report the story or its details here, it would be much appreciated.

I was able to see it perfectly fine without having to log in.

Anyways, here's a recap:

*Entravision has known for close to 4 years now that there was a possibility that XHAS could lose the Telemundo Affiliation.

*Entravision has secured Azteca America for XHAS, post-Telemundo

*The only announcements/revelations into this affiliation change have come via Entravision's CEO during a quarterly earnings call

*Telemundo San Diego will be on 39.3

*NBC/Telemundo/Comcast/KNSD have not responded to repeated requests for information regarding the affiliation switch.

I was able to see it perfectly fine without having to log in.

Anyways, here's a recap:

*Entravision has known for close to 4 years now that there was a possibility that XHAS could lose the Telemundo Affiliation.

*Entravision has secured Azteca America for XHAS, post-Telemundo

*The only announcements/revelations into this affiliation change have come via Entravision's CEO during a quarterly earnings call

*Telemundo San Diego will be on 39.3

*NBC/Telemundo/Comcast/KNSD have not responded to repeated requests for information regarding the affiliation switch.

So Entravision was ready for this. They had to be seeing the investment NBC was making in upgrading Telemundo affiliates or creating new ones in their O&O markets. (Connecticut and Washington will be the lone remaining NBC O&Os not co-owned with a Telemundo O&O. In both cases, the existing Telemundo outlet is owned by ZGS.)

So Entravision was ready for this. They had to be seeing the investment NBC was making in upgrading Telemundo affiliates or creating new ones in their O&O markets. (Connecticut and Washington will be the lone remaining NBC O&Os not co-owned with a Telemundo O&O. In both cases, the existing Telemundo outlet is owned by ZGS.)

No doubt. And i'm sure that bringing Telemundo in-house was one of the main sticking points in getting KNSD their own building-- they couldn't have done it at their downtown location. Now i'm wondering how long Entravision has been talking to Azteca for the AA affiliation...

WRDM 50 and WZDC 25, respectively.

WRC can put it on 4.3 with WVIT on 30.3 if they bring TMD over.

I'm still waiting for Comcast to launch WZDC in HD here in Baltimore. Their Xfinity Stream app (which allows you to stream all your channels) shows it in SD widescreen - so I don't know if they even do HD.

Will it be in HD?

Most likely yes. If they end up dropping Telexitos, then they'll have NBC-HD/Cozi-SD/Telemundo-HD on 39. It's basically what KFMB will do when they add the CW as a subchannel.

Most likely yes. If they end up dropping Telexitos, then they'll have NBC-HD/Cozi-SD/Telemundo-HD on 39. It's basically what KFMB will do when they add the CW as a subchannel.

It's easy enough now for them to carry two HD and two SD channels at once.They may relegate Telemundo to 720p (but I've seen two 1080i's carried easily OTA) but for cable companies where San Diego has a high penetration rate wil, be 1080i.

It's easy enough now for them to carry two HD and two SD channels at once.They may relegate Telemundo to 720p (but I've seen two 1080i's carried easily OTA) but for cable companies where San Diego has a high penetration rate wil, be 1080i.

And COX has channels 14 and 18 open. So theoretically they could park the new Telemundo station there.

And COX has channels 14 and 18 open. So theoretically they could park the new Telemundo station there.

Oh My,

I guess KGTV will have to retire the all the jackets, hats and wraps on the cars that have the Azteca logo. Let's all see how many years that takes.

The 15 slot would be open also seeing that channel slot was negotiated by MGH and NOT Scripps. I would deport Azteca up to the 400's and let NBC fight it out with Scripps. You could always move the 10news repeats / loops back to 15 (cur 810 in N.C.) where they used to be.

The 15 slot would be open also seeing that channel slot was negotiated by MGH and NOT Scripps. I would deport Azteca up to the 400's and let NBC fight it out with Scripps. You could always move the 10news repeats / loops back to 15 (cur 810 in N.C.) where they used to be.

Smart money would say go back to NewsChannel 15. But we all know that they're run by a bunch of morons now so watch them screw this up. In regards to Telemundo SD placement, they really need that channel position advantage...so they need to go for channel 14. That will put them before Univision on 17, Scripps 15, and XHAS on 20. Putting them on the same channel as the other Spanish language stations will only confuse the viewer.

And as far as marketing the new Telemundo, they should really get a chopper that way the can promote the hell out of it and use this in a promo:

"La nueva Telemundo San Diego, nosotros tenemos un helicóptero, y esos cabrones, no!"... powered by NBC 7.

Archived