Weather Branding

morning traffic

You guys love lists and I could use some help - what are some weather brands you like or think are dated?

First Alert Weather

Storm Team

Weather Watch

AccuWeather

Or should a station just call it "Weather"?

WBBM had "Weather Control" for awhile which I thought was neat. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

(Your) Weather Authority at most Sinclair and Nexstar stations-KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!! because it sounds too pompous.

I have that at WPLG. WFOR is just Weather and WSVN is 7 Weather while WTVJ is First Alert Weather, just like every other NBC O&O station with the exception of WBTS, which uses NECN's Early Warning Weather.

Any weather segment named after "their radar" I think is played out, considering of course, most stations use the NWS radar. My "favorite" example of that is still the Mega Doppler 7000 HD out of KABC.

WEWS' "Power of 5" is a close bleh-second for me, even though it's partially a play on the channel number (which I mildly can go along with), they're still shilling their coverage on five dopplers.

On the flip, a simple "Weather Authority" or some play on "First Alert" or "First Warning" seems simple and apropos to me.

How about brands that are just bad and ambigous?

Take KNSD's " [Weather] Accuracy you count on"

Doesn't really enforce a brand for the weather at all, hell the word weather isn't even used in graphics except for the front of the desk. This branding came about when they had the WeatheRate seal/scam of approval, but once that "award" was "won" by KGTV, they stopped using "San Diego's most accurate forecast" and bastardized it to "Accuracy you count on". IMO, they should have gone back to neighborhood weather, or even gone with First Alert weather--dated, but at least the branding is re-enforcing to weather coverage.

I have that at WPLG. WFOR is just Weather and WSVN is 7 Weather while WTVJ is First Alert Weather, just like every other NBC O&O station with the exception of WBTS, which uses NECN's Early Warning Weather.

At least a few NBC O&O's don't use the First Alert brand, including WNBC and WMAQ (who can't, with a market competitor using it), which use the Storm Team moniker.

At one station that's in a small market here in the west but still should know better, the branding is "Storm Tracker," but in every promo (even non-weather ones) they weasel in a line about how it's "keeping your family SAFE."

I also thought "STORM FORCE" was pretty stupid when KDVR and KWGN branded weather that way, but that seems pretty benign now.

My favorite has to be how

in previous years. It's not a testosterone-injected look but rather a really nice, calm, gentle one, just like, you know, what the weather is like 90% of the time in most places. The music was also an earworm that made the ad break slots really noticeable. I wish some local stations tried this approach.

Any tagline that emphasizes or suggests a vastly superior product is automatically terrible in my books. Examples like WTVD's "First Alert Doppler Radar XP" and WLS' promotional usage of S-Band radar is nothing but blatant overkill.

I'm a "PinPoint Weather" or "Early Warning Weather" guy, you know?

Or should a station just call it "Weather"?

Please.

On this topic, it's a mixed bag in Philly:

KYW: Eyewitness Weather

WPVI: Accuweather (Still going strong)

WCAU: First Alert Weather

(IMO Earthwatch was a great brand name, but this is a great replacement)

WTXF: Weather Authority

Honestly, some strong-named brands for the for main news stations here IMO.

Another list thread but I'll partake. South Florida's weather brandings are bland except two...

WFOR: Weather (no creativity or inspiration for it. That's why they suck.)

WTVJ: NBC 6 First Alert Weather (will soon have First Alert Doppler 6000. I'm not even kidding on that.)

WSVN: 7 Weather (expected from them.)

WPLG: Local 10 - The Weather Authority (became this like two years ago.)

NYC Weather:

WABC: AccuWeather (what else)

WNBC: Storm Team 4

WCBS: Weather (just that)

WNYW: Weather Authority (w/ Fox 5 Sky Guardian- cool name)

News 12: Either Hyper Local or just Weather on the 1s

NY1: No clue, never watch (don't get it)

NYC Weather:

WABC: AccuWeather (what else)

WNBC: Storm Team 4

WCBS: Weather (just that)

WNYW: Weather Authority (w/ Fox 5 Sky Guardian- cool name)

News 12: Either Hyper Local or just Weather on the 1s

NY1: No clue, never watch (don't get it)

News 12 mostly uses Hyper Local Weather.

Richmond, VA:

WTVR: The Weather Authority (since April 2015)

WRIC: 8News Weather (Really? The branding was 8News StormTracker Weather until late last year)

WWBT/WUPV: NBC12/CW Richmond First Alert Weather (changed from First Warning Weather last year)

WRLH: No weather branding (WRLH's weekday morning newscasts and weeknight 10pm newscasts are produced by WWBT)

Richmond, VA:

WTVR: The Weather Authority (since April 2015)

WRIC: 8News Weather (Really? The branding was 8News StormTracker Weather until late last year)

WWBT/WUPV: NBC12/CW Richmond First Alert Weather (changed from First Warning Weather last year)

WRLH: No weather branding (WRLH's weekday morning newscasts and weeknight 10pm newscasts are produced by WWBT)

KBEX : Weather or Not, Here We Come!

Archived