WDJT Changes

MilwaukeeMan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CBS 58 has apparently demoted long time evening anchor Michelle McCormack to the 12 and 4pm show. Morning News anchor Kate Chappell is now at 5 and 10pm. Seems quite young to do evening in a mid major market no?

Looks like she is going the way of Paul Pi and McGinnis...always thought she was a better fit for mornings anyway (used to watch her with Mike Strehlow) The station has lost what little momentum it had going for it (content-wise) in the last few years. Prettying the set and graphics in most cases doesn't work unlike what they think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't really been able to root anything out outside of Facebook, but it looks like a Facebook Live feed by the station from a homicide scene went awry when the photog (I'm not sure if it's a one-person band or reporter/photog) said into the hot mic that the Milwaukee Police 'can be trigger happy'. The station cut off the feed, posted a new feed, then a mention later in the day about it;

"We are aware of a situation that occurred on a Facebook Live session. We are reevaluating our procedures and addressing the issue internally."

Hopefully this means the death of FB Live at crime scenes. It's one thing to do a weather FB Live feed of 'hey, what's my town's snow amount'. It's another to use it just for the sake of using it in a place it doesn't belong.

Haven't really been able to root anything out outside of Facebook, but it looks like a Facebook Live feed by the station from a homicide scene went awry when the photog (I'm not sure if it's a one-person band or reporter/photog) said into the hot mic that the Milwaukee Police 'can be trigger happy'. The station cut off the feed, posted a new feed, then a mention later in the day about it;

"We are aware of a situation that occurred on a Facebook Live session. We are reevaluating our procedures and addressing the issue internally."

Hopefully this means the death of FB Live at crime scenes. It's one thing to do a weather FB Live feed of 'hey, what's my town's snow amount'. It's another to use it just for the sake of using it in a place it doesn't belong.

Most people in a TV newsroom would tell you this is a bad idea. The only people who think it's a good idea are the ones working social media, who just see "likes" and "faves" and "engagements".

• 5 months later...

Ratings at 10 are their lowest in a decade.

.8 in demo two straight books since change

Noon keeps most of Y and R lead in getting a 3 the same as 10 pm

Sales dept told only show with growth of 25% was 4 pm since change and that ratings actually dip between end of 4 and bounce back up at 5:30

5 lost .6 and 10 lost 1.4

Seems like you were right

Dumb question: Could the lost ratings have anything to do with the station's call letters? After all, "DJT" also refers to our current, extremely unpopular president, and people may be making a connection between the two that isn't intended.

Dumb question: Could the lost ratings have anything to do with the station's call letters? After all, "DJT" also refers to our current, extremely unpopular president, and people may be making a connection between the two that isn't intended.

No.

Nope, nothing to do with it at all. Unless you're a neophyte to the Milwaukee market, you either don't pay attention to the call letters or know they mean something else completely unconnected to that guy. Maybe they change in January when WMLW gets spectrumed onto WDJT to consolidate things, but otherwise, only the FCC and Nielsen ratings homes give them more than a second thought (I should also note as a Wikipedia editor we haven't had any incidents of 'lol, these calls mean our president because he OWNs them like the fake news media' vandalism, so even vandals don't care either).

Ratings at 10 are their lowest in a decade.

.8 in demo two straight books since change

Noon keeps most of Y and R lead in getting a 3 the same as 10 pm

Sales dept told only show with growth of 25% was 4 pm since change and that ratings actually dip between end of 4 and bounce back up at 5:30

5 lost .6 and 10 lost 1.4

Seems like you were right

Guess repainting the old, mismatched news desk didn't help at all. :(

No. WDJT has always been a fourth-place finisher, and unless they find some niche to fill that the other stations in Milwaukee haven't, they'll continue to be a fourth-place finisher. There's nothing *wrong* with their newscast, it's just that there isn't anything that particularly stands out about them either. They're an unbelievably average newscast, and that's just not enough to gain much audience share.

(Granted, average is a step up from where they used to be. The graphics, music, and new set really help the presentation... but that's just the presentation, not the product.)

You're right, that is a dumb question.

No. WDJT has always been a fourth-place finisher, and unless they find some niche to fill that the other stations in Milwaukee haven't, they'll continue to be a fourth-place finisher. There's nothing *wrong* with their newscast, it's just that there isn't anything that particularly stands out about them either. They're an unbelievably average newscast, and that's just not enough to gain much audience share.

That's what I figured. Thanks!

Nope, nothing to do with it at all. Unless you're a neophyte to the Milwaukee market, you either don't pay attention to the call letters or know they mean something else completely unconnected to that guy. Maybe they change in January when WMLW gets spectrumed onto WDJT to consolidate things, but otherwise, only the FCC and Nielsen ratings homes give them more than a second thought (I should also note as a Wikipedia editor we haven't had any incidents of 'lol, these calls mean our president because he OWNs them like the fake news media' vandalism, so even vandals don't care either).

Well, I certainly hope I haven't inadvertently given anyone any ideas...

Thank goodness. Something about McCormack always rubbed me the wrong way.

Unfortunately the new team hasn't found its audience but McCormack rubbed enough people the right way at Noon that with Mike they now retain their full Young and Restless lead in and only show with growth of 25% was the 4 pm when Mike replaced Bill

Archived