WFXT Looks to Rebrand Amid Continued Struggles Under Cox Ownership

GroupWBZ

Watched a little bit this morning, still branded the same. The only difference is the name on the program guide. Do you think they will launch the rebrand during their evening newscasts?

When they changed the graphics/logo in October 2015, the morning news still used the Fox O&O package that day, then the new package made its debut during the evening news. So we'll see...

I didn't watch this morning, but I've noticed that Shiri Spear changed her Facebook page from "Shiri Spear Fox25" to Shiri Spear Boston 25". She changed her Twitter handle from "Fox25Shiri" to "ShiriSpear". Gene Lavanchy still uses "fox25gene" for his Twitter handle, and Kevin Lemanowicz still has the Twitter handle "LeanowiczFox25" (we'll see if that changes this evening).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the TV personalities at WFXT have changed their bio to now read "Boston 25" instead of "Fox 25". The station's website still has the "fox25boston.com" URL, but now shows the "Boston 25" logo (which is the same goofball-looking logo, with the word "Boston" on top of the 25).

I highly doubt the newscasts will be any different. Whoop de do.

It's not just Fox. It happens for all the networks. It's just most notable for Fox affiliates because of how controversial the news channel can be.

It basically comes down to the fact that most Americans outside of this forum have little to no grasp of the concept of things like "network affiliations" and "O&O's". They just see their Fox programing on that channel and think it's owned by Fox when in reality it's owned by Tribune, Cox, or whatever.

Compared to people in other countries, Americans are very nonchalant on stuff like this, plus in countries like Canada and England major networks are rarely non O&O stations, as very few affiliates are owned by a third-party like Tribune and Cox.

I have to say, it's not bad looking now that it just says "Boston." Still not a huge fan of the logo, but it's better looking than when it still had the word "Fox" in it with that font. Someone brought up a while ago that the logo seemed to have been made for a bigger word or for the call letters, and I think this is probably what the designers had in mind all along. It's a shame that they felt the need to distance themselves from Fox, but I guess with what's been going on at FNC lately and the fact that a lot of people really do confuse FNC and local Fox affiliates, I guess they felt it was the right decision to make for their market. Plus, I was never a huge fan of the Fox O&O graphics anyway, I think they could all do with a big re-do.

That actually looks halfway decent...

Personally, it throws me off because it's a tall rectangle with italicized type inside of it. If it was more like WDIV where everything was slanted, it would work better. It's also claustrophobic. Boston is squeezed in there, the 25 barely escapes the outside making it look oversized and not yet edited down to fit, and news is in a weird position relative to everything else, probably because of that rounded edge to the left.

It's pretty sad I've put this much analysis into a freaking TV logo.

Makes you wonder if this rebranding was part of the plan this whole time.

Doubt it. The set has "Fox" plastered everywhere. That's not a cheap fix. If they'd been planning this, they wouldn't have done that.

I'd like to congratulate WFXT's CSD for finally getting the logo right after 15 months.

[ATTACH=full]3871[/ATTACH]

WFXT and their CSD have parted ways. I'm guessing a lot of these decisions were made without the input of anyone with a solid marketing/creative background.

Since you guys are so smart, why don't one of you apply for the open CSD job?

WFXT and their CSD have parted ways. I'm guessing a lot of these decisions were made without the input of anyone with a solid marketing/creative background.

Since you guys are so smart, why don't one of you apply for the open CSD job?

Could you imagine K. C. Robertson implementing WJZ's look on WFXT? LOLOLOL

Making a TV station logo is a lost art that has gone by the wayside of the (network)(channel number) branding...

A classic "25" that comes to mind is the one that WVIZ in Cleveland used until 2000...

upload_2017-4-26_1-6-29.jpeg.0fcb9eb973f24f04462d5e7a80381a21.jpeg

I still think the station needs a total reboot with something halfway distinctive that doesn't look like one of those "fake" news sites.

And lest we forget...the king of PBS shows.....WGBH.....BOSTON!

Making a TV station logo is a lost art that has gone by the wayside of the (network)(channel number) branding...

A classic "25" that comes to mind is the one that WVIZ in Cleveland used until 2000...

[ATTACH=full]3876[/ATTACH]

That's a "25"? Ew.

Archived