WFXT Looks to Rebrand Amid Continued Struggles Under Cox Ownership

GroupWBZ

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I must say about them ahem localizing an Australian promo for this re-branding, is that Seven and Nine in Australia frequently adapted the slogans and campaigns of U.S. networks in the 70's and 80's (Seven tended to use NBC's, while Nine Network made "Still The One" its own), so I find it interesting that it took this long for it to go the other way around.

Moreover, for the longest time, Seven Network appropriated WJLA's stylized "7" logo, while Nine Network appropriated WDVM/WUSA's boxed "9" logo.

• 2 months later...

The most eyecatching part of the Globe article is this--

WFXT expects to remain a Fox affiliate for at least the duration of their long-term agreement. Raponi declined to say how long the contract runs.

That tells me that if HDH can ride out the next couple of years--and there's no reason to think they can't with Ansin selling LVI in the spectrum auction--they could very well be Boston's FOX affiliate in a while.

The station is settling with the "Boston 25 News" brand, while keeping "Fox 25" for it non-news moniker.

The Globe states that this change will go in effect April 24th, in time for the May books.

Boston 25 News. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Denver7 and Cleveland 19, eat your heart out.

That tells me that if HDH can ride out the next couple of years--and there's no reason to think they can't with Ansin selling LVI in the spectrum auction--they could very well be Boston's FOX affiliate in a while.

The affiliation contract runs for at least another five years, no?

To be fair, KTVU during Cox ownership did quite a bit to distinguish themselves from the Fox News Channel, so this kinda continues that past practice.

I mean, I'd be shocked if Cox wanted to terminate WFXT's Fox affiliation.

Oh my God. Boston 25 News!!?!!!? And I thought FOX 25 couldn't get any worse. They were a MUCH better station under FOX ownership. The folks at NBC Boston (a much better name incorporating Boston) must be so happy. They were close to FOX in some time slots last month and WHDH's ratings are crashing to the ground.

Yup, I'm sure all the Cox suits can't wait to drop primetime network programming and the NFL...

CW would be a GREAT replacement.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm getting pimples and teen angst just thinking about CW 25 !!!

The affiliation contract runs for at least another five years, no?

To be fair, KTVU during Cox ownership did quite a bit to distinguish themselves from the Fox News Channel, so this kinda continues that past practice.

I mean, I'd be shocked if Cox wanted to terminate WFXT's Fox affiliation.

Apples and oranges. KTVU was an indie for more than 20 years under Cox ownership prior to the Fox affiliation; it's no surprise, then, that they maintained their own local branding.

The most eyecatching part of the Globe article is this--

That's jumping the gun. Ansin's WSVN uses the 7 News moniker, not Fox in Miami. It has been a Fox affiliate for years.

I don't think I'm jumping the gun at all. Right now, HDH as an indy is the stronger station, and SVN is one of FOX's strongest affiliates. FOX may be in a spot soon where they need better rating affiliates to prop the network up. Football only factors in marginally because most Pats games are on CBS. So why not make the jump in 2020 or whenever to a proven partner?

The irony is that WHBQ has been stronger with Cox than it was as a Fox O&O, despite no change in branding (but changes in operations). It's a lot easier in a more conservative DMA 51 to stay the course I guess? Are there ANY Fox stations that do very well in ratings in deep blue markets other than WSVN which is a pretty loose affiliate as it is?

I don't think I'm jumping the gun at all. Right now, HDH as an indy is the stronger station, and SVN is one of FOX's strongest affiliates. FOX may be in a spot soon where they need better rating affiliates to prop the network up. Football only factors in marginally because most Pats games are on CBS. So why not make the jump in 2020 or whenever to a proven partner?

That sounds good on paper, but Cox could tie it to the affiliation for WHBQ, KOKI and WFOX.

The irony is that WHBQ has been stronger with Cox than it was as a Fox O&O, despite no change in branding (but changes in operations). It's a lot easier in a more conservative DMA 51 to stay the course I guess? Are there ANY Fox stations that do very well in ratings in deep blue markets other than WSVN which is a pretty loose affiliate as it is?

KTVU? At least pre-O&O.

That sounds good on paper, but Cox could tie it to the affiliation for WHBQ, KOKI and WFOX.

WJW, maybe. The Cleveland DMA is more 50/50 than pure Liberal, however.

Apples and oranges. KTVU was an indie for more than 20 years under Cox ownership prior to the Fox affiliation; it's no surprise, then, that they maintained their own local branding.

And that's the problem. The WFXT management (mostly transferred from KTVU) are trying to make apples out of oranges.

I'd like to think that FOX affiliates do well because of their ability to offer a primetime newscast (9 or 10pm) and their ability to counter-program the networks from 7-9am.

In Boston's case, they are hurt by WHDH going independent because you have a former "Big 3" affiliate gaining the ability to compete during those times. WFXT was never much of a winner to begin with, and now, they risk drowning themselves in further obsolescence by becoming something vague like "Boston 25 News"...

Now they could accelerate the process by going the New World route in the 1990s by branding themselves as 25 IS NEWS!!!!!!

Archived