WFXT Looks to Rebrand Amid Continued Struggles Under Cox Ownership

GroupWBZ

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The kerning between that E and W in News...that's one massive and jarring gap.

Speaking of kerning, I've noticed that the Sinclair Graphics look better lately. I was watching WKEF the other night, and it looks like they are putting the letters closer together. It makes the frot look a lot better in my opinion.

Hello. Apparently, only WFXT's newscast title has changed by dropping the "Fox" reference. That station is among the Fox affliates to have the "Fox" reference in the station's general branding, but not the newscast title, along with KCPQ 13 here in Seattle.

Back in the 80's Australian networks had their own versions of US promos....

Nine Network borrowed from ABC (Come On Along, Still The One, We're The One, You'll Love It)

Seven Network borrowed from NBC (Be There, Let's All Be There, Only The Best...using the melody of Come Home To The Best)

There has to be some formal arrangement given the songs are identical. The production companies probably sold them based on their territories and the fact that they would not be able to compete against each other.

Here's the new logo, currently on air. Still using the Fox 25 News mic flags though. Won't be much of a difference to the viewer, still looks like the old logo for them, minus the Fox of course. Lackluster if you ask me...

Capture.thumb.JPG.220bc4ce6836ee0b0ab6d9a108c780b8.JPG

Perhaps not surprisingly, WFXT delayed the premiere of 24 Legacy to 1:30A to accommodate local coverage of the Patriots Super Bowl victory. WCVB broke into ABC's prime time for its own postgame which continued until just before 1AM. WHDH had local news already from 9PM so it was a no-brainer for them to go into full postgame mode once the Patriots clinched; their coverage continued past 1AM. WBZ had coverage until 1AM, at which time they went to a Joel Osteen infomercial. Not sure what NBC Boston did...there are only so many stations I can monitor at once!

Here's the new logo, currently on air. Still using the Fox 25 News mic flags though. Won't be much of a difference to the viewer, still looks like the old logo for them, minus the Fox of course. Lackluster if you ask me...

[ATTACH=full]3652[/ATTACH]

Meh. Still looks like a "fake news" operation that people blindly share in their Facebook news feeds....

That logo has been used for about a week and a half now. They're still using the "Fox 25" branding on social media as of this morning. Only the logo bug at the bottom right corner of the screen has been changed.

As far as post-game coverage, I switched from WFXT to WCVB at the first commercial break after the trophy presentation, then went to bed shortly after 11 PM. I do know that WCVB broke into ABC programming (a repeat of Shark Tank) about 1 minute after the game-winning TD. I did not tune into WBZ, WHDH, or NBC Boston, so I can't confirm how they covered the win. However, I'm certain WHDH started their post-game coverage around the same time as WCVB, since they were already airing local news.

i didn't know stations in the home city of a superbowl participant were allowed to delay the lead-out show, have the networks always offered that option?

In 2005, Fox aired a new episode of The Simpsons guest-starring Tom Brady. However, because the Patriots were in that Super Bowl (and won), WFXT delayed the episode and I had to wait for the episode to repeat about a month later to finally watch it. This was before the days of Hulu and cable on-demand.

I don't understand why the network broadcasting the Super Bowl will air a new episode of a series at 11 PM well after the game has ended, even when it normally doesn't air on Sundays. (For example, in 2011, Fox aired Glee after the Super Bowl, followed by another new episode 2 days later in its usual time slot. The same thing happened in 2014 with New Girl.)

i didn't know stations in the home city of a superbowl participant were allowed to delay the lead-out show, have the networks always offered that option?

I think the local local coverage is essentially considered "breaking news" at that point, and it isn't any different than preempting network programming for any other reason. Once the Super Bowl coverage ends, it's over. The show that follows it is just a network program. Same reason the other stations in the market have to break in (or preempt whatever they should be airing) to cover it (i.e. when all the Chicago locals broke in when the Cubs won the World Series last year).

No. Its only for stations involved with their team cities (in this case, WFXT for New England and WAGA for Atlanta and possibly plus KRIV for the Super Bowl Home City) but other than that, everyone else went to 24: Legacy after FOX's Super Bowl coverage. WSVN went to 24: Legacy afterwards and didn't have news on until 12:15am and actually kept going until 1:30am because of WSVN 7's Sunday Sports Xtra.

I read on an other site that Cox requested permission to delay 24:Legacy should the Patriots win. Fox was well aware of it.

I don't understand why the network broadcasting the Super Bowl will air a new episode of a series at 11 PM well after the game has ended, even when it normally doesn't air on Sundays. (For example, in 2011, Fox aired Glee after the Super Bowl, followed by another new episode 2 days later in its usual time slot. The same thing happened in 2014 with New Girl.)

I don't disagree with you... But I don't think 10:37 (hypothetically of course) is any better or worse. They have to air at or before that time because of the traditions close to the game, which-now that I think of it-some are long-winded and kinda pointless... So yeah, don't disagree with you.

All I must say about them ahem localizing an Australian promo for this re-branding, is that Seven and Nine in Australia frequently adapted the slogans and campaigns of U.S. networks in the 70's and 80's (Seven tended to use NBC's, while Nine Network made "Still The One" its own), so I find it interesting that it took this long for it to go the other way around.

Archived