San Diego WSD88 Radar failure

Eat News

Well the San Diego NWS/WX Radar has taken a dump...right before the first gigantic major storm of the season.

It should be funny to watch all the local wx reporters vamp for the 3 minutes of weather tonight. All they have is the Santa Ana and Yuma wx radars to use.

HELP!

Call the Storm Buggy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Advisory

NOUS66 KSGX 201637

FTMNKX

Message Date: Nov 20 2016 17:03:57

San Diego 88D radar site KNKX is down due to an unexpected failure. Technicians

have been called and will attempt to get the site re-established ASAP. Thanks fo

r your patience.

What happened to those radars that NBC was going to build across So. Cal? Wasn't San Diego supposed to get one, or were they just going to piggy-back off the NWS radar and make it look like their own?

What happened to those radars that NBC was going to build across So. Cal? Wasn't San Diego supposed to get one, or were they just going to piggy-back off the NWS radar and make it look like their own?

Haven't heard anything. They were indeed building three new radars. Not sure if they are under KNBC's control where KNSD and KNTV get the feed or if each station can control their local one for a network.

Haven't heard anything. They were indeed building three new radars. Not sure if they are under KNBC's control where KNSD and KNTV get the feed or if each station can control their local one for a network.

NBC can't really be serious about these radar units in CA. This state is full of mountains, valleys and Micro Climates. The NWS Radars are in pretty good locations that for the most part offer elevation for range. Where would NBC place the things? it's not like there is land, and people willing to host one of these things in their backyard.

If NBC says they are "building" radar sites in CA., then my question is...

"Where are your permits"?

Location cost, frequency coordination ,environmental issues, performance issues would make this project cost outrageous...and for very little payback.

It's not like we have all these corn fields to plop a radar down in with no problems.

And where the hell IS the Storm Buggy (Storm Ranger)...The San Diego radar has been down for almost 24 hours...and during a ratings period. You would think NBC / KNSD would jump on the chance to send the truck down to SD to "assist" the NWS with fill-in radar coverage from Mt San Miguel...and promote the hell out of it!!!

"We (KNSD /NBC) saved the NWS with Storm Buggy"....

NOT!

It probably came down to the Storm Ranger operator/engineer not being available on such short notice.

On a side note, when did KNBC switch their weather branding to First Alert Weather? Maybe KNSD can finally get rid of [Weather] Accuracy you count on...

Umm it's Late November we are not done yet building the San Diego area radar. In fact we just started. :eek:

It probably came down to the Storm Ranger operator/engineer not being available on such short notice.

On a side note, when did KNBC switch their weather branding to First Alert Weather? Maybe KNSD can finally get rid of [Weather] Accuracy you count on...

Literally 4 weeks ago. Oh which brings me to my point, why do I wait for approval from staff to post comments and threads I have been trying to create a thread on our station for a while.

Umm it's Late November we are not done yet building the San Diego area radar. In fact we just started. :eek:

So what area of San Diego is this radar going to be in?

Forgive me for sounding skeptical, but if corporate won't spring for a chopper for KNSD, I doubt they'd be willing to pony up the cash for a radar. Not to mention that if they were going to be building one, they would have been promoting the shit out of it already....

Forgive me for sounding skeptical, but if corporate won't spring for a chopper for KNSD, I doubt they'd be willing to pony up the cash for a radar. Not to mention that if they were going to be building one, they would have been promoting the shit out of it already....

Oh the Doppler isnt ours but KNSD can use heck KXAS could use it if they wanted to, Technically, none of our dopplers are "ours". The Doppler will be near the Escondido area and will cover up to Tijuana maybe a bit past Tijuana. First Alert 4 wanted to make sure all of SoCal was covered.

We have been promoting the hell out of it. Check our website but then again we don't promote it as per say Stormranger because we don't get any Weather much. KNSD piggybacks our secondary chopper when they need it.

1237207660_NBCLAFA4Header.thumb.png.b2ed3e8afa1c54b78cc173aea6712d79.png

KNBC can't even maintain a solid microwave signal in the case of a pursuit coming down the freeway into San Diego. No 2-way communication either since KNSD ripped out the entire 2-way radio system.

I 'assume" this subject may be way over your pay grade at NBC.

Go ask an en engineer or the KNBC assignment desk....

You are wrong.

100% mis-informed...and just plain wrong.

KNBC can't even maintain a solid microwave signal in the case of a pursuit coming down the freeway into San Diego. No 2-way communication either since KNSD ripped out the entire 2-way radio system.

No they can rebroadcast our feed through per say our website our helicopter can actually be put in a pool of helicopter feeds I never said the helicopter could broadcast signal into San Diego.

You are wrong.

100% mis-informed...and just plain wrong.

Also we have made it deep into San Diego with he helicopter we have done it before.

Also we have made it deep into San Diego with he helicopter we have done it before.

I just want you to know I'm not questioning your integrity... Just maybe we are taking about 2 different types of situations.

I have no doubts that KNBC airships can fly to San Diego.

But the KNBC bird is not set-up to communicate via radio or via microwave directly to KNSD.

Thus the KNBC aircraft cannot be used or directed by KNSD for it's own use if they wish to do so. The KNBC crews are not trained to use the KNSD receive sites...and I bet those sites are not even programed (waypoints) into the KNBC Microwave transmitters.

KNSD cannot just call KNBC and request one of the 2 choppers. Not unless KNBC has interest enough to send one down. KNBC will not just "loan" a chopper to SD for the day, or for routine stories, not even in sweeps.

Need some routine aerials, or even need shots of a medium sized grass fire? Don't call KNBC because Chopper4 (really KNBC-1&2) are either "too far" or it's"not LA newsworthy"...or "too busy"...or "short on hours"....or "down for maintenance" ....or our favorite excuse / response from KNBC is.....

"Can I call you back"????

So Buffy tell me what secret word does KNSD need to know to get a KNBC chopper down here?

I may be getting overly technical, so i'm not trying to twist you up on this.

I just want you to know I'm not questioning your integrity... Just maybe we are taking about 2 different types of situations.

But the KNBC bird is not set-up to communicate via radio or via microwave directly to KNSD.

Thus the KNBC aircraft cannot be used or directed by KNSD for it's own use if they wish to do so. The KNBC crews are not trained to use the KNSD receive sites...and I bet those sites are not even programed (waypoints) into the KNBC Microwave transmitters.

KNSD cannot just call KNBC and request one of the 2 choppers. Not unless KNBC has interest enough to send one down. KNBC will not just "loan" a chopper to SD for the day, or for routine stories, not even in sweeps.

Need some routine aerials, or even need shots of a medium sized grass fire? Don't call KNBC because Chopper4 (really KNBC-1&2) are either "too far" or it's"not LA newsworthy"...or "too busy"...or "short on hours"....or "down for maintenance" ....or our favorite excuse / response from KNBC is.....

So Buffy tell me what secret word does KNSD need to know to get a KNBC chopper down here?

Oh ok so we are talking about something else. I'm saying if we had a pursuit per say in LA County or Orange County they can pick up the feed. However the feed will be picked up through a stream from our control room. If a pursuit or event went to San Diego, KNBC would be fine, KNSD won't be able to pick it up from our signal they will pick it up from a stream. There is no secret word we just don't want to, it's to busy out in the LA region.

KNBC is the big older brother that does not like to share his toys, and it seems like momma NBC has not intentions of forcing them to share with KNSD...

How many times have we've seen KNBC come down into SD to do a report, when they could have easily requested KNSD to do it for them (especially if they're both covering the same story-and i'm not talking about huge national stories, that's a whole different animal)? Most recently there was an officer-involved shooting of a mentally ill woman who led police on a chase in LA. She eventually died from the gunshot wounds. Anywho, her parents live in San Diego, and KNBC sent a crew to do an exclusive interview with them, and then fed KNSD the interview for their own use. Did they really need to send Hetty Chang down for that interview, and then do a live hit for the 11pm newscast, when KNSD could have done the same thing for them? I get they have money to throw around, but they seem to enjoy wasting it in stupid ways.

This goes back to the chopper/radar sharing. Do you honestly really believe, KNBC is willing to bend over backwords to help KNSD if theirs no compelling reason to do so?

Archived