Gari and the 1990s

onthesea

Hello.

I'm writing this because I have some doubts.

I know that Gari Music can't stay behind its competitors, and have to innovate, but since the early 1990s, this company (at least for me) would never return to have the same success than before the change of that decade, with many exceptions: they created interesting and important packages for current TV like "Eyewitness News" or the "CBS Enforcer". Of course that I like these packages (my favourite is Image News; in fact, most of the days I could hum that tune for hours, because it's an addiction!), but my question is: why they decided to take off some instruments from their themes, like trumpets or violins?

Sometimes I believe that one of the reasons was money (perhaps paying to the people who play these instruments was expensive), and the other was the search for change.

What do you think?

why they decided to take off some instruments from their themes, like trumpets or violins?

Sometimes I believe that one of the reasons was money (perhaps paying to the people who play these instruments was expensive), and the other was the search for change.

Most of the time, almost all the "instruments" in news themes are synthesizers. Especially themes from, well, the 70's through the early 2000's. Actual instruments in news themes is actually a pretty recent phenomenon.

Maybe the composer just didn't think certain instruments fit the theme?? It's the same reason you don't hear a saxophone in metal music or a electric guitar in a classical piece.

Probably easier to customize and adapt (like Advantage / Allegro which share many elements) and make mega-packages with 200+ cuts, which I'm guessing their competitors started doing in force then. The technology simply got to the point it was viable.

But yeah, it sounds cheaper, and synth today isn't as obvious.

Probably easier to customize and adapt (like Advantage / Allegro which share many elements) and make mega-packages with 200+ cuts, which I'm guessing their competitors started doing in force then. The technology simply got to the point it was viable.

But yeah, it sounds cheaper, and synth today isn't as obvious.

It's not synth. It's samples that aren't obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an affinity for the 90s Gari packages. Never really cared that they were cookie-cutter to some degree...they had a sexy sound. I'll take the synthy sounds of 90s Gari over a lot of the guitary sounding stuff Arnold puts out these days. The former sounds like news and the latter, frankly, doesn't.

Speaking of Gari, anyone know which package was inspired by THIS?

Yanni - "Santorini"

Yes. It's the This is Your News package. I'm looking for the update, which was commisioned by WBNS in 2003. There's a minute of the closing cut available on the NMSA site, but I wanna hear more.

Yes. It's the This is Your News package. I'm looking for the update, which was commisioned by WBNS in 2003. There's a minute of the closing cut available on the NMSA site, but I wanna hear more.

NewsMusicNow.com doesn't have it either. The '03 10TV update is one of my favorite Gari packages. Does that update also include this cut? Just wondering since they used this cut for their opens for many, many years. (WATE used it too, and ironically also had Jeff Laurence as their VO)

[MEDIA=vimeo]106043632[/MEDIA]

• 3 weeks later...
NewsMusicNow.com doesn't have it either. The '03 10TV update is one of my favorite Gari packages. Does that update also include this cut? Just wondering since they used this cut for their opens for many, many years. (WATE used it too, and ironically also had Jeff Laurence as their VO)

[MEDIA=vimeo]106043632[/MEDIA]

I remember hearing that same cut on KXTV in 1999. however NMSA has the KYW version.

Archived