nynewsguy

Should WABC welcome Sam back?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should WABC welcome Sam back?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why all the fuss about being off on Fridays? Most of the talk shows that are "Live" are on 4 day work weeks, taping the Friday show in the afternoon after the live Thursday show. Live with Kelly & Ryan & The Wendy Williams Show are both on this schedule.

You have to understand, doing the weather in the Morning & at Noon means Sam is probably in around 3:00 to prepare his forecast, is on every 7 minutes from 4:30-7, then every half hour from 7-9 during GMA, then comes back and does an hour at Noon. So he probably is getting out at 1:15 or 1:30 at the earliest. That easily a 10 or 10 and a half hour day.

Amy Freeze or Jeff Smith can easily slide in on Friday mornings. Frankly, I'm surprised Shirleen doesnt have this type of schedule, or at the very least gives up the noon. That is a really long day for anyone, let alone a working mother who is also pregnant or a 60+ year old man.

14 minutes ago, jtgh922 said:

Why all the fuss about being off on Fridays? Most of the talk shows that are "Live" are on 4 day work weeks, taping the Friday show in the afternoon after the live Thursday show. Live with Kelly & Ryan & The Wendy Williams Show are both on this schedule.

You have to understand, doing the weather in the Morning & at Noon means Sam is probably in around 3:00 to prepare his forecast, is on every 7 minutes from 4:30-7, then every half hour from 7-9 during GMA, then comes back and does an hour at Noon. So he probably is getting out at 1:15 or 1:30 at the earliest. That easily a 10 or 10 and a half hour day.

Amy Freeze or Jeff Smith can easily slide in on Friday mornings. Frankly, I'm surprised Shirleen doesnt have this type of schedule, or at the very least gives up the noon. That is a really long day for anyone, let alone a working mother who is also pregnant or a 60+ year old man.

I actually shared some thoughts about this on the station forum, but I'll share here, too. The problem for me with this 4-day schedule is what I feel is a palpable shift in energy between his days on and off. Sam is a big presence. And it feels like two difference shows.

Also... and this will sound like quibbling, but Sam has to better time his lounging in Miami posts on Instagram. To my mind, it directly conflicts with this "we're all in it together, trying to wake up and work" tone that he's been very aggressively trying to promote when he's on the air. Suddenly, it's Friday, and he's not one of us anymore, he's poolside with an "eat it, you working suckers" grin on his face. That is certainly not his intention, I'm sure, but it just doesn't jibe with what we're getting during the rest of the week. If I was his boss, I'd kindly ask him to at least wait until after the show he's usually on has finished for the day before posting. It's a small ask, but it helps with the "yay, we're a happy new team" message that they're heavily trying sell us.

Cuz, here's the bottom line... the fact that this is a debated topic is an indication that it's not completely working... as great as it actually is to have Sam back on the air.

1 hour ago, jtgh922 said:

Shirleen hasn't worked noon in weeks. She confirmed once she's back from maternity leave she will do noon again. Sandra has picked up the majority of her noon newscasts, with Liz, Lauren and Diana picking up a few. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, nydem2015 said:

Perhaps Sam will return to GMA someday.

Unless Ginger intends on leaving GMA in the near future and Sam wants to work till he’s 80 I highly doubt he will return to GMA on a permanent basis before he retires. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sam's got it good! Disney / ABC is really treating him right! Working for ABC 7 and GMA, and is off on Fridays? Wow, he can't go wrong with this job at all haha!

On 7/18/2019 at 11:32 AM, Vlad said:

Sam's got it good! Disney / ABC is really treating him right! Working for ABC 7 and GMA, and is off on Fridays? Wow, he can't go wrong with this job at all haha!

Yes...

Ha! Ha!

image.png.8547fb7af8e05e914064d28744b3bacd.png

• 5 months later...

Looking at this picture, I had the immediate thought that this should be the regular GMA team. Michael should be regulated to celebrity/cooking/health, etc and only during the 8:00 hour. I cringe every time I hear him read a serious story. I'd also love to see Cecilia Vega & TJ Holmes receive more expanded roles on the show, They both are amazing.

Archived